Are you allowed to park over your own drive way

white_elephant, Aug 9, 1:39pm
( in my case car pad?) Thank you.

serf407, Aug 9, 1:42pm
Could be an interesting discussion with the insurance company, if the fire service is blocked from asap access to your property in the event of a fire and you are not there to shift your vehicle.

saxman99, Aug 9, 2:17pm
No you’re not. From the road user rule 2004:

6.9 Obstructing vehicle entrances and exits
(1)
A driver or person in charge of a vehicle must not stop, stand, or park the vehicle so as to obstruct entry to or exit from any driveway.
(2)
For the purposes of this clause, a vehicle parked alongside any part of a kerb crossing provided for a driveway or within 1 m of the prolongation of the side of a driveway must be regarded as obstructing entry or exit.
(3)
Nothing in subclause (1) or subclause (2) applies to a bus that has stopped at an authorised bus stop, or a light rail vehicle that has stopped at a light rail vehicle stop, for the purpose of picking up or dropping off passengers.
Compare: SR 1976/227 r 35(2)(f)
Clause 6.9(3): amended, on 1 October 2011, by clause 14 of the Land Transport (Road User) Amendment Rule 2011 (SR 2011/307).

bloodthirsty, Aug 9, 4:07pm
So what's the deal with parking on my grass outside that apparently is council land? That I maintain. happy to ticket as apparently not willing to look after
that themselves. But charge for it.

johnn, Aug 9, 4:42pm
You pay rates to repair the footpath & of course for the council to employ someone to listen to your complaints.

mrfxit, Aug 9, 7:05pm
I found that suggesting any potential damage could result in councils insurance policy being target, helps a lot.

Had a council tree with badly damaged roots by a fiber cable laying company.
Council fobbed me off for months until I asked who would be paying for a car that may be parked under that tree next time a big storm blows over here.
Two weeks later with no notification, they turned up, chopped it down & ground the stump out.,
Took out the neighbors leaning tree as well

tara.jm1, Aug 9, 8:12pm
Depends on the council. In in Tauranga you can park on the verge/berm unless there is a sign specifically saying you cant. Changed after council staff were caught doing it everywhere. Just don't park on/blocking the footpath

white_elephant, Aug 9, 8:20pm
Thank you serf & saxman for answered my question.

kazbanz, Aug 9, 8:31pm
probably worth putting a picture up or drawing re street etc.

pauldw, Aug 9, 8:53pm
I often see this sort of response. I see very few urban driveways that a fire truck would try going down. As if a driveway accessing a garage at the front of the house would be much use anyway.

bloodthirsty, Aug 9, 9:34pm
So what i gather from coments & what i have seen legally i have zero rights to park on my verge that i look after yet is council land? Looks like I be putting concrete down soon cos I'm tired of paying those Aholes to not keep them lawns.

mone, Aug 9, 10:04pm
You mean vehicle crossing? No it's illegal under our local council rule. You are blocking emergency services, and also blocking young children walking or riding their training wheel bikes on the footpath.

saxman99, Aug 9, 10:29pm
Some folks near me put decorative stones down on their Council grass verge but they were ordered to remove them, apparently this is not allowed either.

bloodthirsty, Aug 9, 10:33pm
Sorry I poached. Yes parking over driveway is
Legally not allowed. Parking in driveway
blocking pedestrians is a no no. But parking in front of your driveway on the street if you live there is debatable.

bloodthirsty, Aug 9, 10:38pm
I have argued this with council you lot should too.
Yet to get my lawns done. by them. lol

s_nz, Aug 10, 1:05pm
It's not debatable, it is clearly illegal (see post 3). But many councils don't take any action unless a complaint is made.

amasser, Aug 10, 1:30pm
Contact your Mayor or councillors - they are not so secure in their jobs.

supernova2, Aug 10, 2:09pm
There is case law on this. The Council can only act if there is a noparking sign erected in the street. I'm sure you probably don't have such a thing in a residential street so therefore Council can not force vehicle to move. The issue of damage to berm and footpaths is something the Council(in association with Police)can do something about. Of course it wont be the traffic division of Council so you will need to address your complaint to correct dept.

ronaldo8, Aug 10, 2:41pm
Only on your side of the boundary, obviously. Beyond that you aren't on "your" anything.

mone, Dec 9, 3:16am
It clearly says in NZ Land Transport Rule 2004 (enforceable by local council) that you must not block footpath. You don't need a no-parking sign on every vehicle crossing in NZ to follow rules.