Carjam - worth paying for the history?

Page 1 / 2
totalimp, Aug 18, 8:54am
Is it worth paying for the carjam report when buying from a dealer? Particuarly if there's failed WOF"s on the history? Or not so much worth the $15?

tgray, Aug 18, 8:58am
Only you can decide if it's worth it.
Buying from a dealer gets you clear title in writing and the CIN form they give you will show if it's been re registered.
If I was a layman buying a car, I would personally pay the $15. It will show you how many owners it has had and a host of other information.
$15 for piece of mind? Surely it's a small price to pay.

saxman99, Aug 18, 9:09am
The problem is you can't tell why it failed. A "blown number plate bulb" will show a fail the same as "Chassis very rusty, steering falling off, brakes inoperable and tyres bald."

totalimp, Aug 18, 9:27am
Ahhh ok, i thought it might have gone into detail with the paid report, thats basically all i wanted. haha. Thanks!

kazbanz, Aug 18, 9:43am
$15.00 is a tiny investment to help you get peace of mind. personally I get concerned if there is a sequence of wof fails,
Incidently For a FRESH import its more or less a waste of time. all you will get is border check then first WOF.

totalimp, Aug 18, 9:49am
It's failed 3 WOFs since 2016. It's NZ new, 2010. Had a rego change in 2014. Potentially buying form a dealer so not overly concerned. But it's like a building report on a house, different scale but $15 is nothing compared to the $30K price. But if it doesn't show the reasons it's failed WOF's then it's probably not a biggie.

toyboy3, Aug 18, 9:55am
Rego change ? New number plates because the others were mangled in a crash ?

tgray, Aug 18, 10:04am
Does it say re registered?
If so, it's likely it's an ex write off.

kazbanz, Aug 18, 10:08am
you will likely see an explaination for the rego change

totalimp, Aug 18, 10:33am
Thanks all. I've just bought it now so all good.

totalimp, Aug 18, 10:35am
Looks like it was a waste of $15 but better to waste that than $30K. lol.

totalimp, Aug 18, 10:36am
No explaination, just has 2 x number plate sin it's history? Bit weird isn't it? Thought it's normal for personalised plates but these look like the normal govt standard issue

bumfacingdown, Aug 18, 10:39am
One plate fell off, lost, stolen

totalimp, Aug 18, 10:43am
Oh really? Do they not just reprint the same rego on another plate? learn something new every day! haha

inatiz, Aug 18, 11:57am
Does anyone know why the warrant of fitnesses show on the carjam website for other cars, but not for mine.

vtecintegra, Aug 18, 12:14pm
No you get whatever is next on the stack.

I've changed plates before because one has been damaged, in my case there was no damaged to the car itself but a replacement plate could be a sign the car was in some sort of crash

saxman99, Aug 18, 1:11pm
The information is only as new as the last date somebody paid for a report.

lythande1, Aug 18, 2:41pm
yes. Would you trust a car dealer? Especially a second hand car dealer? Some have, and been on fair Go

caleb.b, Aug 18, 5:15pm
I wouldn't assume changed plates mean crash, I've had number plates damaged a few times and they just replace them with the same rego number. Why would they send new plates with a different rego?

kazbanz, Aug 18, 5:39pm
Unless its a personalised plate that is definitely not the case.
standard issue plates you fill out the form hand over the damaged plate and get handed a set of new plates with a different number.

nzmax, Aug 18, 6:36pm
The people that make the personalised plate, also do duplicates if one has been lost, stolen etc. Use the "duplicate your plates" option.
https://consumer.licensys.co.nz

tgray, Aug 18, 8:33pm
So when buying a $30k car, you had to ask if it was worth paying $15 for a history check? No, it wasn't a waste of $15.
Perhaps you should be asking if it was worth spending $120 on a Pre purchase check instead? Mind you, if all was good, you might say that was a waste of money too.

marte, Aug 18, 9:30pm
Where can you get old WOF information?

I'm wondering if some Sill damage has come up before on a WOF, so I know before I take it in.

totalimp, Aug 19, 9:04am
Not the case at all. I'm all for pre purchase checks regardless of cost. And if i had the means, i'd be doing that in this case.
I've never purchased a carjam report so had no idea what they actually cover, i purchased it and i didn't get any useful information from it, so it was a waste of money. But i don't mind. Would rather drop $15 on a carjam report and have it be a waste of time, than go spend $15 on a flippin mcdonalds meal and waste that down the toilet the next day. It was a waste cause there was no useful info, but i'm good with that. Glad i did it

franc123, Aug 19, 9:19am
Thanks for that info, I didn't know that was possible now. It was the case for years that you could not get standard issue plates remanufactured.