Price of Petrol

Page 2 / 2
tygertung, Feb 24, 8:20am
Yep, that's a good point. Also if the cost of fuel does go up, people will find a more efficient way of doing things, due to necessity.

amasser, Feb 24, 8:49am
Some people like purple.

s_nz, Feb 24, 10:33am
I'm surprised by the sentiment in this thread.

Fuel is cheaper than it was before the pandemic. Our currency is a record highs at the moment. Wholesale oil prices have increased substantially lately despite the downwards demand pressure on demand due covid-19 related lock-downs and aviation reductions. (aviation uses a heap of fuel).

If the world starts to open back up in 2022 as expected thanks to covid-19 vaccines, it is highly likely that NZ petrol prices will cross $3/L.

Enjoy the cheap fuel while it lasts.

alowishes, Feb 24, 2:19pm
I drive aimlessly in a seven litre V8 with the handbrake pulled on hard and the choke pulled fully out.
Can’t beat the smell of a petrol motor with an over rich mixture!

cjohnw, Feb 24, 4:46pm
Just think, once the borders re-open we get all those tourists back aimlessly driving all over the country as well.

framtech, Feb 24, 9:23pm
welcome to the real world sonny, nothings free, and guess what, I don't give a shit about lazy millennials, do the hard yards like we did and stop expecting a handout or everything new.

nice_lady, Feb 24, 10:43pm
Well I wouldn't consider using the car if the dairy was only 400m. Hubby has to drive to work so the cost of petrol is a direct tax on his income. It's about $5 each way, so $10 return. He's on call aside from his normal hours of work and that can result in 3 return trips sometimes. He says he's NOT riding a pushbike it's not practical to do that. So thanks but no thanks for that very silly suggestion. Life isn't necessarily so simplistic.

tygertung, Feb 25, 8:12am
Actually, it was only the older generation which was able to buy new.

When my mother and father ("baby boom" generation) bought their first house, they were able to easily buy a brand new three bedroom house on a single graduate teacher's salary.

Now days there is no way that a graduate teacher could buy a brand new three bedroom house, even with no furniture or other contents.

cjohnw, Feb 25, 9:35am
Well, certainly not true around here!
We are in a brand new subdivision with dozens of houses currently under construction and probably around 80% of those building are young couples with little kids.
And presumably on one income.
Doesn’t look to be as difficult as you say.

gazzat22, Feb 25, 10:03am
A few years ago a Property developer and owner of multiple properties before it became fashionable said that the problem with todays youngsters is they want to start with the house their parents finished with not work up to it.

tygertung, Feb 25, 12:24pm
On a graduate teachers salary, a brand new 3 bedroom house? The graduate pay rate is $49,862

How much are the brand new 3 bedroom houses in your area? They must be very reasonable if you can buy one on a salary of $49,862.

https://www.education.govt.nz/school/people-and-employment/principals-and-teachers/primary-teachers/

marte, Feb 25, 2:56pm
I look at what houses cost when & 5 years after I started work, what my wages were at this point, what interest rates were & what you could get for those $$.

And I don't see any difference except the quality of the houses has jumped phenomenally & the amount of land included has dropped a bit

elect70, Feb 25, 5:05pm
Tell the mrs to stop tiki touring around the town on her weekly shop ___ In USA it was found that women used the most fuel & that included theavy transport , so they should All be in EVs .

framtech, Feb 27, 4:39pm
lets see, 1986 Labour killed any chance of a state advance loan, interest rates went to 19% and back then income tax was up to 57% of income.
Its never been a walk in the park to buy a house, the difference now is couple break up too easy and trash any capital they had, A high % of people are single parents, The governments have let far too many people into the country including their families while the country has no housing stock to get cheap labour, which back fireed and leaves us with un- employable stock, For years the government stopped training the trades and tried to push everyone into uni which has worked out badly, all we have ended up with is country full on know alls and no one with any real skills, woman wanted to work and that has failed because of computers and this has turned turtle and now mens wages can't keep a family housed and feed. We now have a country of chiefs and no indians and those in larger company management are bloody useless and couldn't run a piss up in a brewery.
we are one step away from a crash, the only thing keeping this countries head above water is thousands of baby boomer owned small businesses and when they retire watch the shit hit the fan. with useless productivity the few won't carry the can.

tygertung, Feb 28, 8:43am
Perhaps he is implying that woman can't work with computers as they are too technical for the woman's brain.

framtech, Feb 28, 8:46pm
No,l what I mean is that computers have done away with rooms full of typists and carbon paper, but I guess you need to have been around before the days of cell phones and computers.
Now we have able bodied men sitting at home while the lucky families both work. then its the rich getting richer, its across the board, cheaper fuel, puts more money in the pockets of families thereby taking away the need for both parents to work (fuel being one of the issues)

tygertung, Mar 5, 9:18am
You might think that women are only good for typing, but it was a woman who wrote the programmes for the flight computer on the Apollo missions to the moon.

These days it is common for the mother to go to work and earn the money for the family and the father to have a turn running the household and look after the children. In the few spare moments he could also run a small business from home as well.

Fuel is only the issue if one has put themselves into a lifestyle where they are dependent on it. People have been getting on fine for thousands of years without being dependent on it, and many are able now to figure out how to not be dependent on it.

Fuel is currently cheaper than it has been for a long time, so fuel isn't the big issue right now.

kayr, Mar 6, 11:15am
We just did the sums on vehicle running costs for our diesel Holden Colorado as we do about 140 km a day just to work and home and over the past 3 years it has been costing an average of $250 a week for fuel and RUC's.
We just bought a Toyota Corolla Hybrid and now fuel costs are $60.00 per week and the car will have paid for itself in less than 3 years.

annie17111, Sep 9, 3:47pm
your ute must of been really thirsty. For my dmax to do that it would cost me $53.76 in ruc and about $60 in diesel to do 700kms a week. But I walk to work and we only use my ute on the weekends or if towing so don't do that many kms now.