JDM Import ECU readable?

Page 1 / 2
intrade, Jul 12, 9:11am
#12 it would pay to learn how it works. There is 2 rooms the obd2 emission room and the oem factory room. manufacturer can choose what they want to also send in to the obd2 emission room. but they have to comply with emission law and minimum information to what the cars emission comply to. Why do you think there is 30,000$+ scantools that mercedes works hard on that no one can get the official information. if you could do it all with a 2$ shop scantool
obd2 is emission only. there is 5 obd2 protocolls most cheap tools only do up to 3 and can not do all 5
my 2000 bora tdi you wont get a single code out of with a obd2 code reader . with a tool that can do all 5 protocolls you will get mass airflow and coolant temperature. That is it The rest is all oem
like injector quantity deviation= rosstech-vcds. faulty door lock module low voltage stored codes . all are non emission and wont show on obd2 room.

intrade, Jul 12, 9:17am
better scantools are also backwards compatible to obd1 with a adaptor i have quite a few videos with launch. for a 1kz i get information about injection quantity but i dont know where the information comes from as the software displays the figures as if they are a petrol engine. so i would have to start scoping to see what and where the processd information comes from. But yea i wont waste my time cause there is no repair parts for a 1kz anyhow . i warn clients that if the electronics in pumps dies its over i cant help them. i wasted 2 years on a mazda RF with denso pump to find out its the speed control inside the pump that plays up and there is no parts for a denso. plus calibrating that pump if there was was 1800$ just for that. So yea its over when them efi pumps die unless you have a other good pump to fit.

ronaldo8, Jul 12, 11:40am
I know how it works, you however are only interested in dick swinging, hence the "I said five years ago " type BS you regularly start you misinformed raves with.

ronaldo8, Jul 12, 5:08pm
"Odb2 is emmissions only"

Is that right, o no hold on a minute , no its not right, its complete and utter bullshit.

What's a B code? or a C or a P?

You seem to be under the dillusion that ODB2 contains only the generic standard PIDS, you are completely wrong, what do you think your scanntool is reading? Magic car smoke signals ? Its reading manufacturer extensions to ODB2.

It may help if you knew how it worked.

intrade, Jul 15, 6:33pm
#16 as i said go and learn stuff for once in your live. i said 100% how it its called global obd2 and then Eobd the 16 pin obd2 connector is just a connector that was developped for obd2= onboard diagnostic secound generation. By law emission codes must display correctly via obd2 if the car actuarly complys to the obd2 .Anything else is up to the manufacturer if they do want to display the true data via obd2 emission or not.
p is powertrain that is the engine and only emission related stuff has by law to be the same codes. . otherwise anyone would be a iiot to spend 50.000$ on a mercedes scantool if a 50 cent obd2 tool would give em all the codes
And what do you think is in a 121 gigabite peugeot update that i got for my scantool ? codes that you get via your obd2 2$ shop tool. common wake up.

intrade, Jul 15, 6:46pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
shows it all
now lets focus on this
OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Codes

OBD-II diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) contain 1 letter and 4 numbers, and are divided into the following categories:

B - Body Code (includes air conditioning and airbag) (1164 codes)
C - Chassis Code (includes ABS) (486 codes)
P - Powertrain Code (engine and transmission) (1688 codes)
U - Network Code (wiring bus) (299 codes)
my year 2000 bora has the obd2 conector as vw have had since 1996.
you wont read no nothing with a obd2-emission tool .
however there is body codes for door-lock faults = B codes that only display with a factor level scantool like rosstech-vcds
diesel only comply to emission obd in 2007 and the only data you get out of all the 5 emission protocolls with a live data obd2 emission tool is colant temp and mass airflow. thats all that transmits via the emission side of this car because its diesel and its not required to comply via obd2-emissions for that year make model.

intrade, Jul 15, 6:57pm
http://iforce.co.nz/i/io2pgd0q.b5c.jpg
this is a 3500$ multi platform scanner and i point out the obd2 emission room. That is what all the cheap tools do some dont do all 5 protocols and i had updates for obd2 emission also called eobd on this scanner for incorrect display on 2016 car update said fix for emission obd.

intrade, Jul 15, 7:09pm
These are the 5 obd2 emission room protocols and that's all you can ever do with a obd2 tool. This 3500$ one has all 5 emission protocolls and converts some non emission codes to factory specified make codes but you have to scan in both rooms just to be sure. And you cant be sure if this tool gives correct information unless you also scan with the same result with the Factory tool. in my case rosstech 99% factory vag only
This tool is supposedly real good on vag. It also has j2534 passthru programming

http://iforce.co.nz/i/2t52wqwi.ffd.jpg

ronaldo8, Jul 15, 8:19pm
But but but but. ODB2 is emmisions only apparently, according to you.
Glad to see you went and looked up those codes like I asked, no doubt why you have changed your tune from

"odb2 is emmisions only"

to the new qualified and improved

"odb2-emissions tool is emmisions only"

Well done, you've learnt something, what other revelations are to come? that water feels wet? that up is the opposite of down?

ronaldo8, Jul 15, 8:44pm
Here you go, have 843 pages of public ODB2 body codes. Whoever would have thought that decreased resistance In the drivers airbag second inflator had anything at all to do with emissions, being a public ODB2 code and therefore, according to the expert airbag, emissions only.

https://www.autocodes.com/obd-code-list/body

And here's a free clue, anyone that tells you that five years ago they made an absolute statement about a rapidly evolving and changing set of capabilities of an area of IT that thinks their understanding will remain the be all and end all just standing still in time is a short-sighted muppet that hasn't ben paying attention and needs to have been living under a rock.

Just a thought.

bigfatmat1, Jul 15, 9:14pm
intrade is correct in what he is saying. just because a car has a obd2 plug does not make it obd2 compliant which is why the cheap tool may not work. No if buts or whatever. That is how it works there are hundreds of different makes of cars in the nz market that will have a obd2 connector but not meet the standards for compliance. Which means some tools may not work on certain vehicles. P0xxx generic obd2 codes p1xxx manafacture specific codes. Emissions only may not display p1xxx codes correctly depending on tool and software.

bigfatmat1, Jul 15, 9:31pm
its also worth noting just because a scan tool works under the manufacturer specific option does not mean it will.work under the eobd2 function. This is because its not obd2 compliant. It can be very frustrating especially if you wanna use mode 6.

bigfatmat1, Jul 15, 9:41pm
Op I have about 6 or 7 hiaces around that vintage at work ill try connect under obd2 and see if i can gain communication. But as intrade states diesel may not. Petrol may ill try both when I have some spare time and report back

ronaldo8, Jul 15, 10:17pm
Not quite, the odb2 plug guarantee's it implements the base set of pids, whatever other features have been added or if any given tools is able to decode it is another matter. If a partiular tool can or can't read them is something I've not even addressed. It's only Intrade that been waffling on about cheap tools and there limitations while claiming that OBD2 as a whole is emmisions only, something that is utter bunk, no ifs or buts.

bigfatmat1, Jul 15, 10:34pm
you are incorrect the plug does not guarantee compliance. You are talking about two different things you can have a standard obd2 plug and not communicate over any of the 5 protocols this is what intrade is talking about.

bigfatmat1, Jul 15, 10:40pm
If you like ill make a video of a vehicle tomorrow if i have time and show you exactly what he is talking about. There is plenty of vehicles that will not communicate via obd2 using the 5 protocols. So.my chances of having a vehicle at work like this is high. It will also highlight that the eobd 2 function is emissions only.

ronaldo8, Jul 15, 10:45pm
Hes may well be talking about eobd or jobd, but they are variants. They aren't OBD2, they are similar, but not the same. The base obd2 function is emission only, not the entireity of the obd2 specification.

The problem is that there is a standard which contains the ability to not be "standard" aka a dogs breakfast, slightly better than the last one but still a mess

bigfatmat1, Jul 15, 11:01pm
. You are not following. The plug doesn't dictate obd2 compliance. Obd2 is American eobd European same protocols. Same shit. You can have the obd2 plug and not communicate over those protocols like I have explained like intrade has explained. The standard plug was adapted but not everyone was forced to use the protocols by law. The standard set of generic codes is emissions only anything else is manafacture specific like p1xxx codes. Intrade has attended training in this by the same place I use for training the guy who takes the training use to write software for a certain car manafacture and is a industry leader in nz and Australia.

bigfatmat1, Jul 15, 11:07pm
So you can plug a scan tool into a obd2 plug have no connection over those 5 protocols yet still have full access to all the vehicle systems via the manafacture specific pins in the plug or you can connect to obd2 under the obd2 function and only have the generic emissions data. Or you connect via manafacture specific option over any of the 5 protocols. Depends on vehicle

ronaldo8, Jul 15, 11:10pm
No the plug is a part of the spec, and that plug has a set of standard pin definitions, but it also has a set of pins whose functionality is left up to individual manufacturers. If it's an OBD2 plug then it is compliant by definition, I'm not talking about the specific connector.

ronaldo8, Jul 15, 11:14pm
This conversation is a classic case of "crossed wires"

bigfatmat1, Jul 16, 11:01am
just tried a 2011 petrol and it works. Just tried a diesel hilux and it doesn't work.

bigfatmat1, Jul 16, 12:13pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1365300531.jpg ok here is the diesel hiace 2010. Note the second line down states this vehicle is not obd compliant so will not communicate utilizing obd2 protocols

iluvmuse, Jul 16, 12:13pm
Mine is petrol, can you tell me what reader and app you're using?

bigfatmat1, Jul 16, 12:15pm
I was not using a app. But a scan tool. But utilizing the obd2 protocols instead of the manufacturer specific software which communicates differently as intrade has pointed out