".targeting drivers going 1 to 10 km/h over"

Page 4 / 5
absolute_detail, Jan 15, 1:01pm
You sure know some terribly useless drivers

lookoutas, Jan 15, 1:09pm
So someone thinks a Model T is safe at 90?

joanie32, Jan 15, 1:18pm
Have to agree

Just like doing 98k with a garden trailer behind my car that has every safety feature known to man - including a special setting for brakes etc when towing, is not dangerous

But I guess rules in NZ are made for the worst car, being driven by the worst driver.

joanie32, Jan 15, 1:22pm
Errr

Going off the road due to inattention is dangerous at any speed.

lookoutas, Jan 15, 1:22pm
Shhhhh - don't say that, or we'll be made to do 50!

tygertung, Jan 15, 4:28pm
100 is high speed if the limit is 90.

marte, Jan 15, 6:58pm
I have had It happen at 80km/h, though I think it was because of harmonics. Empty horse float behind a 2L Cortina.

m16d, Jan 15, 7:10pm
Long time ago, I had my MK2 Jag up to 100mph on the southern motorway towing a trailer.
That's miles, not K's.
Just saying, thats all.

serf407, Jan 15, 8:30pm
The traffic fine total was $272 million March 2019 to March 2020
That's a lot of donuts and coffee.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/122306446/traffic-fines-have-cost-kiwis-more-than-272-million The Tamaki Drive camera harvested $5.3 million from 60K offences at an average fine of $88.60/ offence. The Waikino camera snapped 38K offences for a total of $3.3million for an average wallet lightening of $87.19 per photo opportunity.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/02/new-zealand-s-top-ticketing-highest-earning-speed-cameras-revealed.ht
ml

Some of the static speed cameras will have a very short pay back time.

socram, Jan 15, 10:13pm
Both 90 and 100 are merely arbitrary speed limits for NZ. They are not based on any scientific analysis whatever, with or without trailers.

If you accept that the generally, UK has a mix of roads not totally dissimilar to NZ, being a mix of single lane, and dual carriageway, the speed limit for towing a trailer or caravan is 96kph.

In 1964, there was no open road speed limit at all on UK roads and in June, the Le Mans AC Cobra was clocked at 183mph! No one died because of it. Those were the days.

tygertung, Jan 16, 9:11am
In Europe, they don't seem to have safety chains on trailers.

martin11, Jan 16, 9:44am
In the UK they have to sit a test to tow a trailer legally .
https://www.gov.uk/car-trailer-driving-test/what-happens-during-test

bill-robinson, Jan 16, 10:38am
heavy trailers and caravans in europe also have a mechanism that locks the traler to the car at 50kph so it becomes one long ridgid vehicle. thee no safety chains applies to light trailers as they reckon you are better off being diconnected during an accident as there is less mass.

martin11, Jan 16, 11:04am
The English Caravan my neighbours have has electric Brakes and a brakeaway wire that activates the brake should it come off the coupling . .Registered here in nz

tweake, Jan 16, 11:39am
they have mechanical break away device instead. we only require breakaway braking on trailers over 2.5 ton.
you can get that system here now (mechanical breakaway on inertia braked 3.5 ton trailer) and there is also a modified version to use our hydraulic brakes instead of UK wire operated brakes.
that setup is very common in USA and i do not know why we don't get the USA version here.

i like the breakaway brakes, but its heavily reliant on having the brakes actually working which is a problem on a lot of kiwi trailers.

elect70, Jan 16, 11:46am
Well i got one for 106 at Foxton 2 weeks ago on Foxton straight fine day little traffic .

tweake, Jan 16, 12:53pm
yet they ignore people using their car to attack other motorists.
just doing the cheap easy way to fulfill their obligation to the govt rather than do policing that actually makes a difference.

socram, Jan 16, 3:45pm
Write in and say you'd just put on new tyres with a slightly higher circumference and you read the speedo at 100kph.

Explain that there was no danger and that a you believe that you were totally safe. Say you have since checked your speed on GPS and accept that you have now had to reduced your speed a fraction to comply.

marte, Jan 16, 4:38pm
[quot=socram]Both 90 and 100 are merely arbitrary speed limits for NZ. They are not based on any scientific analysis whatever, with or without trailers. }

I think that the intention is that once they get to a passing lane, they won't speed up to 100km/h & that gives the cars behind them a chance to overtake them.
80km/h was better, you had the odd chance of overtaking between passing lanes & if they had sense there would be several car-trailer rigs in a row to overtake on passing lanes.

I think passing lanes could be done better, like [ Indicate to overtake Before entering, or stay in the far left lane and @ 90km/h max, while it's 110 km/h in the overtaking lane ]
Or some version of it.

And FFS, some sort of setup where you can get your speed read accurately so you can calibrate your Speedo.
I always thought mine was accurate because at 50 km/,h it reads 50 km/h on the warning signs, and 100 @ 100.
But in between is up to 5 km/h out.

lookoutas, Jan 16, 7:57pm
105 for me last Xmas.

framtech, Jan 17, 11:37am
Would rather the govt put camera vans at all road works and other roads not covered should have hi hit judder bars, if police got off their arses there would be many people losing their licences and having their cars impounded.
Just because you drive a fat footed Ford ranger doesn't give you the right to endanger road workers and shower the paint work of modern pearl coat cars with a barrage of stones, sand and other shit.

framtech, Jan 17, 11:42am
Used to be milage markers for you to check you speed, but the govt removed them all because they actually want you to speed and increase the money they earn from car owners, its the way bureaucrats think, when in fact they don't give a shit about your safety- just the cost on all counts.
That why its ok to import coal and other oil manufactured goods like nylon carpet- -it goes on another countries pollution count

alowishes, Jan 17, 5:08pm
On Friday I followed a caravan that was being towed near Roxburgh, every time the towing vehicle (Toranna or similar) got up to 90kph the caravan would start to sway from side to side, as soon as the speed dropped down near 80kph the caravan settled down and stopped swaying.

sw20, Jan 17, 5:09pm
Used to be one on SH6 on the way into Nelson. Remember it from when I was a kid.

stevo2, Jan 17, 5:28pm
I keep asking myself, if the speed limit is 100kph, why does the Govt even allow new cars in to the Country that can easily hit 200kph?