Charging an EV that's stopped by the side of road

Page 2 / 2
marte, Sep 12, 12:36am
Soooo, your 'EV' is a ICE car with no petrol & a flat battery & you want to use the starter motor & the manual gearbox to shift it off the road.

But. What colour is it?

autumnwinds, Sep 12, 1:15am
Green , of course. !

(though I prefer red, as they go faster. ) ;)

s_nz, Sep 12, 1:25am
Ah, I get it now. You want to do kinda like the wellington AA battery van but slower.

https://www.aa.co.nz/about/newsroom/media-releases/environmental/aa-launches-mobile-ev-charger-to-help-curb-range-anxiety/

I now assume your power supply is an inverter hooked up to either the start battery or a house battery in your car. And you want to help EV's that you come across at random (either as a rescue service or as a good Samaritan).

In short, Don't count on it working. The below are your key issues:

- EV's check the earth is good before charging. Without spoofing this (hence disabling the safety feature), they will refuse to charge without an earth for safety reasons.
- By far the most common EV is a Nissan leaf, which does not allow it's charge speed to be set on the dashboard. Typical current drawn by a domestic plug charge cord on a leaf is 8A (highest that complies with worksafe regulations with temperature monitoring at the plug). At 1840W this is too high for your 1500W limit. Also not all EV owners carry a domestic plug type charge cord with them.

vtecintegra, Sep 12, 8:36am
Even an old Leaf will give you quite a lot of warning before stopping completely so there really isn't any reason an EV should get stuck in an unsafe position.

vtecintegra, Sep 12, 8:39am
Yeah I never carry mine in the car, it's always plugged in in the garage. There are also two types of AC connectors to consider if you wanted to carry the EVSE in the rescue vehicle

trade4us2, Sep 12, 1:18pm
I think you are right, the EV will try to take more current than my inverter can handle. It says it can supply 2400 watts peak but not for long enough.
I have assisted about 40 people whose cars have broken down near my house., but never an EV.

vtecintegra, Sep 12, 2:00pm
It's not the car that chooses how much to pull, it's the EVSE (charging lead).

The vast majority of EVs in New Zealand are Leafs and the vast majority of them are charged from either an 8 or 16 amp EVSE (some EVSEs can switch to 6 amp mode but these are a minority)

andrewcg53, Sep 12, 2:50pm
EVs need clean power most home portable generators and inverters are unable to do this so

mcfc11, Sep 12, 2:52pm
There is NO irony in that!

alowishes, Sep 12, 3:28pm
Nah man, phone the cuzzie to bring a can of fuel, THATS the way to do it.

trade4us2, Sep 12, 4:11pm
I can't find an expert site that explains why an EV needs sine wave power.
I have a sine wave inverter and a modified sine wave inverter and a modified sine wave generator. One old TV doesn't like the modified sine wave power and everything else works OK.

s_nz, Sep 12, 5:33pm
This isn't true. It is quite possible to charge an EV with a pure sine inverter, or a portable generator. Heaps of examples of the latter online.

Apparently a tesla will reject modified sine wave power:

https://generatorgrid.com/blog/tesla/

Most of the issues come from safety features, to do with earth fault detection. As mention prior it is possible to defeat these.

With regards to charging from an inverter, this would be more common a home solar setup (either grid tied or off grid), that will be properly earthed.

As a general note, most petrol car's don't have the alternator output to keep up with the 230v, 6A (1380w) charge of an EV for an extended period. That said, aftermarket high output alternators are available for large SUV's and commercially focused vehicles.

marte, Sep 13, 3:24am
The OP was just taking the piss.

He was talking about recharging the battery in a ICE vehicle so he could use the starter motor to shift the vehicle a bit, like completely off the road.

wasgonna, Sep 13, 8:31am
No but it winds back the mileage.

lookoutas, Sep 13, 10:40am
OK - I might've skipped some of this.
What about a type of Jump-Pack that will let the car run for recovery.
Jeez - just about every car that we work on needs jump starting.

s_nz, Nov 21, 12:59am
Pritty much every electric has a normal (if much smaller - no engine to crank) 12v lead acid battery to run the computer and keep safety stuff like lights and horn working in the even the traction battery gets isolated like a bad crash. Power in that battery is needed to turn on an ev, if that battery is flat it can be jump started like a petrol car.