TRAILER LIGHTS - LAYOUT

onl_148, Jun 16, 12:12pm
Looking at the back of a small trailer, the light cluster on the lefthand side should be, from left to right, tail light (red), brake light (red), indicator (amber) ? and either a clear lens on the tail to light up the numberplate or a separate white light. ?

tweake, Jun 16, 12:16pm
indicator light is always on the outside corner.
number plate light is often built into a lot of the lights so the number plate sits up against the lights.

onl_148, Jun 16, 12:19pm
and brake in the middle with the lower wattage / brightness bulb ?
tail and indicator the same brightness, the brake dimmer ?

budgel, Jun 16, 12:32pm
Generally the brake is brighter than the tail light so that it gets noticed when the tail light is on.
This may be of help:

https://www.prescotttrailers.co.nz/resources/articles/trailer-wiring

tweake, Jun 16, 1:39pm
pretty rare to use bulbs these days.
just buy the led kit. its all done for you, just wire it up.

onl_148, Jun 16, 1:49pm
For a tie-on light board for the back of a "port-a-loo" that gets used on the road perhaps 4 times a year, the piece of 4 x 2 and the 2 x light clusters I have already in my parts cabinet, will do just fine. this is a "budget job". no money in the petty cash for some of those new fangled LED ones !

franc123, Jun 16, 2:13pm
Exactly, you don't need LED's, theyre overrated. If you happen to smash a light or the lense its cheaper to replace anyway, likewise if water gets inside them for any other reason its only a matter of time before theyre stuffed. Just use those Narva or Hella square units if you need to buy them, everybody has those.

tweake, Jun 16, 2:27pm
if you have the lights already, just use what you have.

if you have to buy new, then i recommend led's because bulbs get corrosion issues. one of the most common things to repair on trailers.

skull, Jun 16, 3:38pm
Are you even a driver? It beggars belief that you have no idea about brake lights.

onl_148, Jun 16, 4:54pm
no. my horse and cart does not have anything electrical on it, but it is very modern with voice activated controls, none of this mechanical pedal stuff.
STOP = woo neddy !

morrisjvan, Jun 16, 6:09pm
Nope! the brake is brighter, the taillight is dimmer .Have you even seen a set of taillights?

gph1961, Jun 16, 7:15pm
which pedal is the brake?

martin11, Jun 17, 7:58am
The left hand one , in a model 'T'

bill1451, Jun 17, 8:19am
Didnt the T have 3 pedals, could be confusing to those that are cognitively challenged

redhead18, Jun 17, 10:36am
Dunno where you will get a connector to connect that to lights to make them operational.

onl_148, Jun 17, 11:05am
This thread is now closed. I have the answer I wanted and now the thread has descended into an "idiot fest". people who have nothing better to do and go on-line and comment while they wait for a broom to come free at there place of work !

franc123, Jun 17, 11:10am
Idiots who pointed out something that every licenced driver should know? Sorry mate but that was a tad embarrassing on your part.

redhead18, Jul 24, 5:55pm
That My Dear Learned Friend is an.
Opinion. Simply That.
After all when 2 ex apprentices(Glorified title for **Broom Users**
Have posted in here-and both are warrant of fitness issuing qualified AVIC'S.
THEN WHEN YOU personally close/remove this thread you will show you are qualified