What cars do you have fond memories of driving or

Page 3 / 4
bill-robinson, Dec 7, 7:05pm
sorry.do not know the heron registration, it was registered as a farm vehicle so it did not need lights, also had a daylight WOF as required back then. has been scrapped now. the lyncar photo would be nice to see please.

socram, Dec 7, 8:32pm
Looking at it, not sure if it is the F1 car! August 1975.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1448287188.jpg

Just checked the race programme - Formula Atlantic. Sorry Bill.

geter1, Dec 7, 8:56pm
MGA 1600 with top down
Series 1 RX7
Toyota Allex with 2zzge motor

lakeview3, Dec 7, 9:22pm
Loved my 71 VW beetle. those twin chrome pipes whistling 😍

Most thrilling ride was in my uncles Trans Am, it was black with a big gold eagle on the bonnet. (My aunt divorced him later as he was a bit of a tosser, lol) he also had a red corvette stingray but I didn’t get to go in that.

Another time a neighbour of ours let me drive his Valiant charger just after I got my drivers license. That was quite thrilling as well!

lakeview3, Dec 7, 9:23pm
where’s the running boards?

lakeview3, Dec 7, 9:24pm
I learnt to drive in a triumph - 2.5 TC baby poo mustard colour 😂

lakeview3, Dec 7, 9:27pm
my flatmate had a nice Capri, I think it was quite a late model one for the time - was a 1980 model does that sound right? It was a lovely metallic light blue and was the last model before they stopped making them. I used to drive it a lot when everyone else was drunk, lol. Sober driver.

sr2, Dec 7, 9:40pm
Have to say the memory of "cracking the ton" for the first time in Dads 6/110 Wolseley with my brother lives with me still.

bill-robinson, Dec 8, 7:49am
john nick, my first boss in the uk. i was doing DFV engine rebuilds the atlantic engines were done by roger mitchell (pom) and tom hooker (kiwi)
roger now lives out here and hooker in the US. thanks socram

strobo, Dec 8, 8:12am
Funnily enough the v8 was more economical than the 6 pack .I did my time at GT Gillies who sold them new in Oamaru then when they come out .Then they disappeared off the planet it seemed ,usually came in basic colours green,orange,brown etc. They looked the part with the wedge shape front plenty of room ,They become hugely unpopular for some reason there after.

sw20, Dec 8, 10:09am
Also used to spend many hours with my late father on this wee gem, which has just found a new caretaker after he passed away. Bought as a runner in 1993, the old man kept it running and on the road until we parted ways with it last month.

‘52 Armstrong Siddeley

http://iforce.co.nz/i/z45q0tw3.jc1.jpeg http://iforce.co.nz/i/4tvoxsol.ari.jpeg

trogedon, Dec 8, 10:45am
My friend Mike and I took a two stroke Suzuki jeep out for a test drive. He was slightly interested in it. He wanted to know where the gravel roads were so I pointed him that way. Too fast, gravel road, nearly rolled it. took back to the car sales dirty and said he'd think about it.

orphic1, Dec 8, 4:21pm
Only found on the '36 Auburn Speedster

orphic1, Dec 8, 4:59pm
Yeah got there in the end. Two vehicles I remember being a passenger in is my great aunts Lanchester LD10? , with a preselector gearbox, and her husbands 1948 2.5lt twin-cam Riley

phoenix22, Dec 8, 5:08pm
My stepdads V8 commodore wagon was always fun. Looked like a POS, but when he started it at the petrol station, it would always turn heads

Also, his BMW 350 (from the 80s), That thing went like the clappers. he'd always get boy racers trying to drag him off at the lights, and would always leave them behind. Good memories.

For myself, I love my 1980 mini, (which was my stepfathers, and left to me when he died). It's not going at present, but i will get it back to its former glory one day

socram, Dec 8, 10:30pm
Oh yes. One I missed off my list. I bought a 1955 RME 1.5 litre Riley, in 1970, which needed some work. Drove it 140 miles home with a rattly big end, but I hadn't the expertise or the facilities to sort it. Wish I'd kept it. What a neat car to drive.

wingwalker, Dec 9, 7:43am
Mercury cougar. Left hand drive. Great to driver over the Hill to Wellington.
Been sitting in the garage for a few years now. Like to see sold to someone who get her back on the road again. 74 I think. Might sell on here if can work out how to list it.

bill-robinson, Dec 17, 8:59am
untill you want to get around corners quickly

bill-robinson, Dec 17, 9:03am
over 100 years of ford research and the accountants still design the production cars. wonderfull progress

jack47, Dec 17, 4:46pm
My 1983 Cortina Ghia Bought this new from John Andrews -loved this car.
followed close by 1972 Cortina 2000E
Those were the days.
I love the smell of petrol in the morning!

gunna-1, Dec 18, 9:18am
That reminds me of an old hillman hunter station wagon i owned with cross ply tyres and worn out back wheel bearings, it cornered rather well once you got the knack of slideing around the place.

sw20, Dec 18, 9:24am
Until he couldn't. Or was that too soon?

bill-robinson, Dec 18, 10:51am
is that the chap who got it wrong once, could not get his trousers down on one corner.

bill-robinson, Dec 18, 10:52am
you bought up the year take the credit. have a good one. i will continue the lessons next year if needed.

yz490, Jan 6, 3:10pm
Loved my Isuzu Bellett about a "68 model I had 4 of them at the same time. Towed one to the dump & the bulldozer driver was hanging around & started to bury the Tow Car Bellett lol. Like driving a gokart & had 25x8x12 quad tyres on one for the farm--couldn't stop it. My hot Mk111 Zcar was fun but too cammy around town with a 3/4 race cam & Valliant pistons etc. Fun also was my 2.5PI manual overdrive but the breaks weren't up to the power--then i broke first gear. "26 Studebaker light truck [probably a car turned into a truck] was fun around the paddock sideways in the grass with mate hanging way out to the side on a sledge by rope--then i broke 'that' gearbox. Wonder we survived really--umm.