Smallish Automatic Car?

Page 2 / 2
intrade, Dec 20, 8:14am
toyota drivers dont know what that is . thats a rollsroice option for toyota as where euros all have this they also comply to way tuffer emissions like my astra has cruise control my mates 2012 corolla has not. What he did have is the malfunction light for stability On , in his corolla with code short circuit abs.

hound31, Dec 20, 9:19am
Ah ok, thanks for explaining.

kazbanz, Dec 20, 10:23am
Sorry mate--ya need to get into the 21'st centuryon this subject. . the top spec version of a lot of even the cheaper Toyota's come with cruise.One many others its across the range with only the bugdget version not having cruise. Even down to the Yarris and Ractis.
All of the hybrids that don't have cruise CAN have cruise fitted as a plug and play option.--ie they are set up for it.

kazbanz, Dec 20, 10:26am
How tall are you?,How would you describe your build?
Your left ankle issue. Just how bad is it?
how often do you use your carib as a station wagon -ie its load capacity?
I know these are personal questions but I do "this" for a living and its very pertinent to your search I feel

intrade, Dec 20, 10:27am
you just repeat what i already written top spec= rollsroice specs
my astra has no abs or anything but it has cruise control

kazbanz, Dec 20, 10:38am
sorry mate I got interrupted mid post. The finished postm might make more sense.

hound31, Dec 20, 11:58am
Hi, yes pertinent to my search, I'm not offended:) I'm about 171cm tall, 75kg average build (not obese but not skinny either). The problem in my left foot is arthritis in the fine bones at the top in the middle. Causes quite bad general pain but when using the clutch after about 15 minutes I get seriously bad shooting nerve pain up the inside ankle bone side, I've been know to put the car into neutral and put the handbrake on while waiting for the lights(on a flat street) to turn green to relieve the pain it's getting so bad. It's a nuisance as I have to drive to supermarket etc as it's too sore to walk to supermarket on stupid foot atm, only a 10 min stroll. I really do need something where I don't aggravate that foot, the clutch really sets it off. Can't drive the 20k to visit friends and I'm not even game to go on the motorway with it like this, I'd be worried about causing an accident if it seized up.
I don't really carry a lot of stuff in it now. I have a 72 w by 60 high dog crate permanently in the back, but could probably get a slightly smaller one in now as I'm down to one small dog now and it's really only used for trips to the vet.
I probably could go a bit smaller than the Carib would be a sensible option I suppose. Wondering if I would get a "better" car for my money if I went slightly smaller?
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

kazbanz, Dec 20, 1:12pm
Re your size--PERFECT.
My question about your ankle was a concern about the park brake in many cars. Rather than being a traditional "hand" brake it sits where the clutch is in a manual and is a foot operated. in fairness putting it ON is as easy as pushing the clutch pedal once and to release it takes not a lot more effort but the same action.
The dog cage adds a twist,
Also you mentioned dash mounted gears being a bit strange
So 1) Honda Fit 1500cc 2008 or newer will be good.
2) Mazda Verisa-any year as they are unchanged
Those two really leap out in my mind.
Just a tiny heads up . You don't have to buy local nowadays. cars can be shipped anywhere in the country and PP inspections can be done anywhere

hound31, Dec 20, 1:23pm
Thank you! will put those on list. I didn't know about the park brake, would prefer not to use my left foot at all, and thanks for the "heads up". appreciate you taking the time to help.

dublo, Dec 20, 4:37pm
Yes, and when driving an automatic, just forget your left foot and use right foot as usual for accelerator and brake. Much safer in an emergency situation when you "automatically" use your right foot to hit the brake pedal. Just remember to have the brake pedal depressed when you engage Drive or Reverse from Neutral. Left foot brake pedal use is therefore a no-no, but it can be of use when manoeuvring on a grade when you need a bit of throttle. Pedal handbrakes can literally be a pain - can't beat a good old-fashioned handle!

tygertung, Dec 21, 6:20am
You might be better off with the Ractis, as I was talking to a recently retired mechanic and he used to work at Toyota, and he said that mechanics hate working at Toyota as all you ever get to do is servicing as the cars never break down, so it is really boring.

Also the Ractis is most likely from the generation of cars before they got too complicated, so they tend to be reliable.

kazbanz, Dec 21, 8:43am
I would agree with you BUT for this specific lady
1)Foot operated park brake
2)Strong possibility of it having pushbutton start.
Otherwise I would be recommending it too

bryshaw, Dec 21, 2:43pm
Jazz/Fit or Toyota, go for years.

stevo2, Dec 21, 4:20pm
Totally agree on the Foot operated park brake- but whats the problem with push button start?

hound31, Dec 21, 10:28pm
Thanks for that. I didn't realize so many had floor hand brakes. It's about fifteen years since I went car shopping. My Carib hasn't missed a beat in all that time, I hope I'm as lucky with the next one. You've all given me some great options :)

s_nz, Dec 22, 12:27am
In general things like the push for better performance, emissions profile, crash safety and fuel economy mean that the cars of today arn't quite as reliable as the one's from the 90's. That said, you still should expect 20 years and 300,000km out of most Toyota's & Honda's these days. And they are much better than cars from the 90's in terms of crash safety, economy, performance etc.

I think the boom in floor mounted parking breaks comes from the global swing away from manual transmissions. Modern auto's coupled with modern powerful engines, and worsening traffic means that few new car buyers want manual's any more(outside of niches like Utes, sports cars and very cheap cars). This is especially true in japan. I think if the car doesn't have a manual version anywhere in the world (and isn't flash enough for an electronic parking break), a floor mounted one is close to being the default these days.

I think they are cheap and free up space for a flat floor walk through, or more cup holders / storage tubs.

Obviously not so ideal if there is a manual offered somewhere in the world, as the space clashes with the clutch. Many of the cars discussed here are japan only models (only come here as used imports).

The corolla wagon & honda jazz / fit are fairly popular in Europe and other Asian countries where manual gearboxes are still popular, so they get normal hand breaks.

I guess Nissan just wanted their electric car to look flash and have an electric parking break. They swapped it out for a cheaper foot one in 2013.

Both our cars (2006 Lexus SUV, 2014 Nissan leaf) have foot parking breaks. I'm not really a big fan, but they do work, and didn't really figure in my buying critera.

coralsnake, Oct 7, 1:40pm
I owned a Raum for 10 years and have only recently bought a replacement. The Raum has uses a cam belt whilst the Nissan Tiida Latio I bought is chain driven.

The Raum has been a great little car except the only 'fault' besides the is it does not have a factory or after market cover behind the back seats to hide parcels etc. Another plus for the Tiida was I bought a sedan with a trunk and not the hatchback back model. Incidentally not all Tiida's are CVT transmission - mine isn't. I opted for 4 speed auto.

The Raum back seats don't fold flat but lay well enough down to be able to throw in a good amount of items to cart such as furniture, bags of green waste etc. But now I am over carting items for friends and family!