Nissan vans, Early 2000 onwards with ZD30 engine

mrfxit, Mar 27, 6:16pm
I see a lot of comments around about these having a lot of issues once the KM's get over 150 thousand kms & from various silly factory caused design problems.
Right . I have two questions

Anybody know if the TD27 engine will OEM bolt in the same spot as the ZD30 block.

Presuming the swap can be done easily,
Whats the best place etc to find a 2000 onwards Zd engined van thats already got a blown engine.
Seeing plenty on TM for parts but those are mostly commercial wreckers

intrade, Mar 27, 6:41pm
one problem will be you better have a manual not automatic. if it should fit

tweake, Mar 27, 7:22pm
there was a crowd around that did a lot of navara/terrano qd32eti conversions. they will be the guys to talk to.

with vans it pays to check if there is a factory turbo td27 or qd32 in a van.
if not you may have issues getting them to fit.

mrfxit, Mar 28, 9:18am
Apparently it's fairy easy to swap a TD 27 /QD32 engine in to the ZD30 engine bay.
https://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=44681

mrfxit, Mar 28, 9:22am
Would be going from a non turbo td27 van to the turbo ZD30 van
Seems that most of the hassles are not cert related as parts are interchangable if you find the right model parts to bolt in & the TD being a smaller/ less power & same family engine, then the ZD shouldn't be an issue.

It's just an idea at the moment thats being explored

tweake, Mar 28, 10:58am
keep in mind that a qd32ti motor that the forum post is talking about is closely related to the zd30, but is quite a bit different to the qd32/td27.

i would turbo the TD27 otherwise its a big drop in power, so much so you may have to change diff ratios.

the thing you have to watch is if the motor will fit under the seats. the panels are often made to fit around the engine.

mrfxit, Mar 28, 1:38pm
Yep with the TD27 being such a happy camper about slapping a turbo on it, doing that swap probably still wouldn't effect a cert as it's still same family/ smaller cc & less HP.

Could be a cheap way to get a later model van with modest performance.
It's mostly for around town anyway.

Mmmm good point about the engine cover but thats also probably not a cert issue as long as it seals to the body properly.
It's a separate panel cover, possibly viewed in the same regards to a std bonnet with a scoop mod

mrfxit, Mar 28, 1:43pm
Spose I should have a chat with a local certifier at some stage soon.
Interesting concept tho, theres a lot of flack running about on those ZD30 engines.

tweake, Aug 28, 9:18am
its not the same family, not even close.
i have no idea if it will even bolt up to the engine mounts. you will need to change bellhousing or gearbox. gearbox may need cross member change.
need to see certifier for sure.

the only zd30 i have seen in the vans is the common rail version which didn't exist back in 2000. no idea if they ran the DI version back then or not.
however not all zd30's are grenades. for the most part navara zd30 have been pretty good. the really problematic ones are the patrol and terrano, both are a lot higher powered than the navara version. i'm guessing the van version will also be low powered (the common rail version is low powered).