30m2 rules to build garage

Page 3 / 4
fast4motion, Sep 19, 2:40pm
I've bought plenty of 90x45 H1.2 LVL from Tumu ITM. Comes in 3m or 6m lengths, and last time I took any notice of price, it was only 10% more than standard gauged Pine timber (although trade discounts might play a factor in that).

apollo11, Sep 19, 2:47pm
OK, I might pop in for a look. I know I can get the untreated stuff cheap from Plyguy, but would prefer treated for the shed I'm building.

tony9, Sep 19, 3:56pm
Oregon is Douglas Fir.

"Untreated Douglas Fir
The new timber treatment system for Acceptable Solution B2/AS1 allows untreated Douglas fir to be used in house of a
defined low-risk design. Research shows that Douglas Fir resists decay better than untreated Radiata Pine, but not as well as
H1.2 treated timber.
Untreated solid Douglas fir framing can be used for a house of no more than two storeys ( as define in NZS 3604), that is
designed and constructed to NZS 3604,"

From http://atstimber.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ATS_Timber_Builders_Book_2014_email.pdf

nzshooter01, Sep 20, 7:13am
Ill be useing utility grade NZO for my shed which is a pack of 200 mtrs pretty much as it comes off the log,
Its good clean timber, remembering that a good portion of your frameing is cut into short lengths anyway, dwangs etc,
Ive been quoted $2.50 per mtr

car__parts, Sep 20, 10:09am
the distance varies from boundaries varies from council to council, what you need to look at is the recession plane, this will calculate the distance from boundary.

car__parts, Sep 20, 10:14am
I am buiding a 6x5 at the moment.

apollo11, Sep 20, 11:20am
I think you'd worry about height recession planes if you were working within a building consent process. To avoid the consents process you need to site the building at a minimum it's height away from boundaries and existing structures. The height recession planes usually allow you to go up a certain distance on the boundary line and then a specified angle back from there, so you can build much closer to a boundary than the entire height of the building.

nzshooter01, Sep 20, 4:16pm
And different heights depending which boundary, all about casting shadows

esprit, Sep 20, 5:51pm
car__parts wrote:
the distance varies from boundaries varies from council to council, what you need to look at is the recession plane, this will calculate the distance from boundary.[/quote

Wrong. Height to boundary varies zone to zone and can requires a resource consent if you're breaching it. Building ANYTHING within it's own height to the boundary is codified in the building code requirements meaning that if you want to build a non-consent legal building it cannot be within it's own height to the boundary or any other dwelling and it cannot be built within the prescribed outdoor recreation area as listed on the site plans. This is a national requirement and is universal for the whole country.

apollo11, Sep 20, 7:22pm
It depends on the section. The last section we had in Welly was two metres up and 45 degrees for all sides.

laurelanne, Sep 23, 1:00pm
There you go. Problem solved.

nzshooter01, Sep 23, 4:37pm
So thats frame only, $2800 ,
A $500 pack of 100 x 50 and a weekends work will give you the same result,
Would suit some people im sure

intrade, Sep 23, 5:04pm
do you use the pasload nailgun for framing i have a pack of nails from when i built my shop and was thinking a few times if i should get me a paslode nailgun- and ore other guns able to take them nails?

nzshooter01, Sep 23, 6:17pm
Im pretty sure the paslode nails will fit other guns?
Some one else may know for sure,
Im old school, i still use a hammer

tony9, Sep 24, 10:59am
No good without a producer statement or engineers report that it complies with the building act.

tony9, Sep 24, 11:01am
It is also about containing the spread of fire.

tegretol, Sep 24, 11:45am
Increased to 40m2 from 31-Aug-2020.

intrade, Dec 15, 8:02pm
any updates any one else built a garage with no consent by new rules_

framtech, Dec 15, 9:35pm
The government is an arse for making the rule 30m/2, they should have made it 36m/2 and thereby helping everyone, A 6m x 5m shed will just be another cock up that someone else will need to pay for at a later date, nobody wants a 1 and 1/2 car shed, the extra 6 m/2 is not going to be any less strong being a meter longer.
It pisses me off how these over paid bureaucrats have their heads so far up their rear ends and that they have so much power over the masses with a end result of frustration and poverty for hard working intelligent kiwi while they run around handing out money to the poor to pick up the pieces

framtech, Dec 15, 9:38pm
yep pasload, senco, king, nails all fit eg 90mm gun nails

intrade, Dec 16, 7:01am
Thanks i found that out also the way i did it my mate gave me a part of a row of his toolshed nails. i took them up north and checked they are identical in shape and angle as my paslode ones from year 2000 when i buit my workshop. So i took them down here now.
Things always progress slow . Sometimes to slow , But i seldom waste money. i paid 13 grand for a high cube container . just to show i am not a cheapskate if its costs a lot and it makes sense i spend mega bux like my 300 doller flashlight . Thats now 6 Year old and always works . finger scrosssed. the battery in there could last 14 Years just like electric car batterys in best conditions.
Also got 2 hilti battery 22 volt tools because. REason.
quick one shoot out tools
best hilti then milwaukee or dewalt. got hilti because i need a battery toool 1 time a year and i need it to work when i need it
dewalt 54 volt flex battery can become unstabil and kill the battery . hilti is like the tesla best charger tech in there. but limmited tools and also hight cost . if i needed more tools it be maybe one of the other 2 what ever makes the better tool most used. i think the chainsaw from dewalt electric was better then M. for example.

tygertung, Dec 16, 10:20am
Rust isn't a big issue, if it is wet enough to rust, it is going to be wet enough to rot wood.

The NZ oregon is not too bad of a wood. It does tend to have more knots in it and it is pretty hard and brittle so it is much harder to put nails into; it tends to split somewhat.

I don't think I'd use steel though as it is harder to work with and could be a bit creaky perhaps as it has a high co-efficient of expansion.

apollo11, Dec 16, 3:45pm
I've recently turned a 3 bay open front shed into a two bay enclosed shed, 6x6 m. The steel was fine to work with, just used an angle grinder with a cut-off blade for resizing. Self tappers for fixing. I've not noticed any noise from expansion or contraction that you wouldn't get from a steel clad wood frame shed.

tygertung, Dec 16, 6:18pm
You are right of course, however you miss out on the carbon capture from the wood.

apollo11, Dec 16, 7:44pm
I've planted most of a hectare in native trees, just to assuage my guilty conscience.