Gas stations more like coffee shops now

Page 1 / 3
tgray, Jun 13, 12:32pm
This morning I went inside to pay for petrol and I see both counters with a closed sign on them, so I joined the queue for the coffee line. After 5-10 mins of waiting, I simply walked out.
Petrol stations like BP seem more interested in selling coffee now than gasoline.
Not the first time it's happened. Iv'e been the only one at the counter previously and the staff are still busy fiddling with the coffee machine. My requests for service went unanswered, so walked out again. Pathetic.

pettal, Jun 13, 12:34pm
dont worry - gas stations will be a thing of the past shortly .

slarty45, Jun 13, 12:36pm
No fan belts hanging high on the wall?

intrade, Jun 13, 12:37pm
just use NDP wiatomo or god forbid gull self service .
wops npd keyboard dislexia
https://www.npd.co.nz/

cjohnw, Jun 13, 12:40pm
Use Pay at Pump. Or even Z app.
No need to go inside.

intrade, Jun 13, 12:43pm
i am going to get 100 ron from terapa hopfully 20 liter so i can bump the catpiss 91 i get near taumarunui higher for my punto who clearly states 95 Ron minimum
All four NPD Self-Serve sites will be open 24/7, offering 91, 95, Diesel and the highly anticipated 100Plus – NPD’s premium 100 octane performance petrol.
We are pleased to announce that NPD Wiri in Auckland, NPD Te Rapa in Hamilton, NPD Westown in New Plymouth are now open, with Palmerston North set to open on 10 June.

franc123, Jun 13, 12:44pm
You've only just noticed? It started as soon as the wild bean thing started, fuel customers became of secondary importance to these dithering indecisive caffeine slaves. Unless I need to drag MY nozzle out at a fuel stop I avoid them like the plague, NPD for me.

tweake, Jun 13, 12:47pm
indoor sales is a bigger money maker than the fuel. coffee especially.
one of the reasons they started getting rid of the pay at the pump setups.

intrade, Jun 13, 12:50pm
i am going to have to change that stupid suparmarket scammer points From bp B$ off to the other crap and slingshot also give some points to see if i can change them to something more usefull then the 50 liter bp-scams

intrade, Jun 13, 1:05pm
could not find where i change 6 cent off with bill for AA smartcrap fuel i guess its from my original contract no longer visible but i did see port filtering enabled so i unticked that As i got no antivirus and no shite winblows crap so no worries to have port filter off. on slingshot .
changed the onescam card You're 2000 points
away from your next
$15 e-voucher

bill1451, Jun 13, 1:36pm
All gas stations will be gone by 2030 if these fascists govt gets their way,, what we need folks is for the peasants to revolt against this scam, trouble is National has to follow on with it as it now basically law.

franc123, Jun 13, 1:37pm
Not rocket science is it. Funny the same people that moan about their 91 costing them $2.20 a litre don't realise theyre effectively paying $22.00 or thereabouts a litre for their coffee. Selling petrol alone they couldnt even pay their wage bill. Im surprised that the greedy minds involved here are not making more extensive use of vending machines in these shops for coffee and snacks as is done in the likes of Japan.

kestrel43, Jun 13, 1:42pm
Have you got one of those new fangled smart phone thingies yet pops? Don't have to go inside and queue.

joanie04, Jun 13, 2:11pm
Our local BP has the coffee machine and food thing. But they also have had selected grocery items for years. I am sure they still have a few selected vehicle accessories as well. I fuel up in town while at work as I pass service stations everyday. The local service station is in the opposite direction. With the Mangamuka's still closed it is extremely difficult getting out of our small street.

trogedon, Jun 13, 2:26pm
I know a guy who owns two petrol (gas = USA!) stations. He makes the most money from the car wash so lost money through the water conservation in Auckland.

shortee2, Jun 13, 2:28pm
Have only Ever bought Petrol ,from a Petrol Station, not going to pay for their overpriced Drinks etc, . Why would you ?

nzmax, Jun 13, 2:32pm
You have to be able to get on the forecourt first. At my local station they park at the pumps and then go inside and get coffee and it always seems to take an age before they get the damn coffee and move their car. They have more than enough time to move their car while they wait for coffee. My local BP has zero automotive products now, except oil, brake fluid and auto trans oil. Dont think they even keep antifreeze anymore. Basically just a dairy with pumps like country stores of the old days used to be. The BP a bit further away at least keeps a small number (around 4-5) of light bulbs like indicator and tail/stop bulbs, but no headlight bulbs or the likes, and that is about their automotive range these days. My local Supermarket and Warehouse keep a bigger range.

morrisjvan, Jun 13, 5:02pm
So you didn't pay ?

cjohnw, Jun 13, 5:04pm
I thought the same thing. Was this a drive off?

s_nz, Jun 13, 5:21pm
If you want to get fuel in a hurry, go to a station with pay at pump. I think all mobile's do, along with a decent chunk of Gull, Allied, NPD etc.

If you really like BP, they have an app that allows you to pay without going inside:

https://www.bpme.co.nz/

s_nz, Jun 13, 5:21pm
I would guess they were going in to prepay.

elect70, Jun 13, 5:30pm
I avoid them still afew like caltex & chalenge around without takeaways

amasser, Jun 14, 7:28am
Appears that many people aren't concerned with the price of petrol when B.P., the dearest in town, is often busier than other stations. Of course, they might be going there for the coffee only.

gunna-1, Jun 14, 7:34am
I think service stations use to make there profets on selling candybars and other goodies, dont quote me but wasnt it something like 3 cents in the litre they got for selling gas, they have to pay someone 20$ an hour, how they pay for overhead i have no clue, the govt probably makes more of petrol tax than the stations, so enjoy standing behind coffee addicts.

gunna-1, Jun 14, 7:37am
Wait wasnt it lack of petrol tax that had them scrapping cng?.