Gas stations more like coffee shops now

Page 2 / 3
franc123, Jun 14, 11:08am
I used to work close to a BP station cafe that was also in close proximity to a primary school. The teachers there were trotting down there every opportunity they got for their food and caffeine fix, often more than once a day. Id hate to imagine how much they were spending every week on it, they must have made a fortune out of them.

headcat, Jun 14, 11:15am
But bread and milk. You won't starve while waiting for your fan belt to arrive from China.

headcat, Jun 14, 11:23am
Nah! Just went in for a 'coffee'.

bill-robinson, Jun 14, 12:43pm
make one at home if you must drink snd drive.

tygertung, Jun 14, 12:43pm
I guess there isn't the same demand for fan belts anymore. They seem to last 100k+ Km now.

cjohnw, Jun 14, 2:04pm
First line says, went in to pay for petrol.
Second line says, I walked out.
= drive off?

tgray, Jun 14, 4:31pm
I went in to prepay for petrol.

intrade, Jun 14, 4:33pm
Gees, that's the one that pi$$es me off that prepay crap. I usually drive off again without filling if i got enough fuel to make it to another station.
I noticed and i changed it in count-your losses supermarket The scam of fuel off is reduced and the FaQ reads your still better off when we rip you off more then before . canceled the fuel for points crap better off to get 15 bux for 2000 points . And if the government was anything, they would ban all these card scams. Because if you dont have the card you get charged more if you buy whats suposedly on special with there scam-club= only reason i have them crap cards so i dont get ripped more then ever.

loose.unit8, Jun 14, 4:35pm
That's an easy question. Convenience

bwg11, Jun 14, 4:44pm
I find the coffee, bread and milk queues at the cashier annoying too. 3 or 4 minutes to fill my car and 5 minutes to pay. "Pay at the Pump", you say, No, I want to flash my FlyBuys card for a discount.

kimbo88, Jun 14, 5:18pm
I don't use gas stations any more unless I'm paying at the pump. Use only the self service stations like NPD, Waitomo etc. Not interested in joining their lines inside - or sometimes even for the pumps.

socram, Jun 14, 5:49pm
I wondered about that too. We get 30c a litre off at BP, once a month, through Contact energy/AA card.

BP and the like have to decide if they are a petrol station selling coffee or a coffee shop selling petrol.

If the former, then they should first of all demand that people roll forward and vacate the pump if also buying coffee.

Secondly, anyone queuing for fuel should be served as a priority ahead of those queuing for coffee.

Time is money for many of us and any unnecessary queuing is to be avoided, if at all possible, be that at a petrol station or on the road.

stevo2, Jun 14, 5:58pm
It should be possible to scan your Flybuys/ AA Smartfuel card at the pump and pay at the pump.
They actually want you in the door impulse buying while you're waiting to pay.

tygertung, Jun 14, 8:25pm
I reckon you wouldn't get scammed like this in Switzerland.

franc123, Jun 14, 8:36pm
These loyalty cards are used for information gathering more than anything else. This information on your spending habits is worth far more than a miserly fuel discount to buy a restricted amount of petrol.

casper35, Jun 14, 9:17pm
Havent been inside a service station shop in about 4 years. Always use the self serve places like npd. So much quicker and better service.

gblack, Jun 14, 9:23pm
You can scan at pump, and they really don't want queues. Like the original poster. if there are queues then people might just drive off to an unmanned station.

Z supports scanning Flybuys, AirNZ Airpoints, Pumped etc at OPT (Outdoor Payment Terminals). that is Pay at Pump.

OPTs at Gull, Waitomo and Allied as well as at truck stops run in 'DCA' mode so not actually mounted in the pump, but on a pedestal.

BP and GAS support AASF on OPTs.

Fun fact; most OPTs used in NZ are NZ designed. Software and systems still developed locally. Source; I used to work on these and still do though now on service side and not design side

Personally I like the choice; if I am riding the bike I will use an unmanned site, or OPT in the Pump at a Mobil with my Mobil card for work. But if travelling long distance, I tend to stop for a break at a BP and go indoors for coffee, food, use the loo and sit down and take a break

jmma, Jun 14, 9:26pm
UUmmmm you can scan your flybuys at the pump for discount

mazalinas, Jun 14, 9:37pm
We should all be getting staff discounts for pumping our own gas! Same as in the supermarket, La Warhouse, KMart and other shops if you use the self serve check out.

bumfacingdown, Jun 15, 12:48am
Staff discounts?
How much discount do the staff at servos get?

stevo2, Jun 15, 5:50am
Thanks, I learned something new today. Mind you, I've been going to Gull for the past 4 years because they are cheaper still when they have their 10 to 15 cent off days.

tygertung, Jun 15, 8:07am
I used to work at Mobil when I was a student almnost 20 years ago. No staff discount then. Do they get one now?

houseofdad, Jun 15, 8:45am
Exactly!

bwg11, Jun 15, 10:28am
Me too. Thanks Jmma

ascotbks, Jun 15, 3:22pm
govt made heaps from cng ad lpg. pre pay millage tax which is coming for evs as well