Windscreen problem

dublo, May 7, 7:53pm
With the shorter days now upon us I now seem to more often drive into the setting Sun. My Triumph 2000 had a new windscreen fitted in 2007 following a bad stone-hit. I keep it clean, using rainwater in the washer with windscreen cleaning detergent added, dry it with a towel after washing the car with tap water, and use mr muscle's glass cleaner with microfibre cloths on all glass surfaces, inside and out, when necessary.
Now this low Sun reveals lots of tiny speckles on the outside of the windscreen . I wonder what caused them, and what can I use, if anything, to make it once again clear and safe?

gpg58, May 7, 9:41pm
Some used to say chemico paste was a good cleaner for windscreens many years ago, also wonder how ceramic hob cleaner would go.
May give both a try on one of mine that needs something more than just washing.

pauldw, May 7, 9:44pm
Do you live near a beach? Our previous car ended up with fine scratches from wind blown sand. Glass people said it would be cheaper to replace than try and polish it out.

loud_37, May 8, 9:18am
get a new one if you have windscreen cover on your insurance.

intrade, May 8, 10:30am
Sounds like inperfection of manufacturing problem with your screen.

rotorua i got my new screen from kiwi glass i think its called next to vtnz for my van the guy said he also cleaned and primed some rust he found under the old screen before fitting new one for 480$ as where novus up north said 760$ and 14 day to wait.
looks like these guys they done my van in the shed VTNZ is 2 buildings up.
https://www.nationalglassrotorua.nz/ https://kiwiwindscreens.co.nz/find-your-closest-repairer/#upper-north-island

martin11, May 8, 10:58am
Novus just did a new screen for me in a Swift at home in under 2 weeks from the time it was cracked, Very good service .
They also did the side winows in my Classic Car a few months ago and made a excellent job at very reasonable rate .

dublo, May 8, 11:33am
Thank you, everyone. I live in Rotorua, where the tap water contains calcium silicate. If, after washing, you don't dry it off windows, spectacles or anything else it leaves a deposit which is very hard to remove.
A local glass shop said they could polish the windscreen (at a price, of course!) so I thought I would ask here what options might exist. I had heard of the cerium oxide method - I will try that. Intrade, that shop also said all the windscreens supplied here, whether carrying a top-class car maker's name or not, come from the Wun Hung Low factories. Their quality may not necessarily be very good.

trade4us2, May 8, 12:04pm
For light scratches such as yours I put the cerium oxide on a wet cloth and rub by hand.
For deep scratches I use an electric drill with leather disc with the fuzzy side against the glass, but don't let the glass heat up too much or it may crack.
You should wear a mask so you don't breathe the cerium oxide in. You probably need only a teaspoonful!

mrcat1, May 8, 1:02pm
Exactly, especially if something hit it.

kiwilandchch, Aug 10, 11:51pm
use white vinegar dont spray it on watch the paint work and if u have tints on inside dont use it on them . it is so strong that over time using it it will remove window tint so i found out the hard way . it will remove them spots your talking about.