Subaru Forester, anyone own one?

korban, Aug 15, 8:30pm
Considering buying a brand new car. Liked how it drove. Looking for any opinions, good or bad.

Thanks

tamarillo, Aug 16, 8:53am
Always a favourite with aussies as well. Despite being lower tech than latest offerings elsewhere it still compares well for ride and all round usefulness in comparative tests. Not everyone likes cvt gearbox but latest ones drive better than older ones.

gusthe1, Aug 16, 10:32am
Car of the year in 2018. Test drove one 6 weeks ago and liked it but chose an xv because she preferred the shape and colours. The forester is a bit dull to look at.

alowishes, Aug 16, 10:42am
I hear they’re quite thirsty?

vtecintegra, Aug 16, 10:44am
The modern ones are pretty good at least for their class.

Personally I don't see why you'd buy one over an Outback though which isn't a lot more expensive and has a larger and nicer interior.

slacker8, Aug 16, 4:48pm
I have recently got a 2018 forester XT (2.0 turbo) and love it so far, nz new so has just about all the options. The steering responsive headlights take a little bit to get use to but work great. Would more than likely get another Forester when its time to replace this one.

kazbanz, Aug 16, 4:52pm
Good car ,Nice to drive I wouldn't buy one only because it makes no sense to me when you can buy an outback which is all round better.

korban, Aug 16, 4:55pm
Why is the Outback better?

cjohnw, Aug 16, 5:28pm
The Subaru Eyesight safety system is excellent.

troubs, Aug 16, 6:06pm
We used to, got rid of it because it was guzzled to much gas. Otherwise, it was a nice car to drive

laurelanne, Aug 16, 6:18pm
As we age, a Forester or an XV have far better external dimensions for driving, parking and backing. I have a 1969XT Falcon. Not a large car, but reversing and parking require just that little bit of extra care. At the same time I will happily drive a twenty tonne truck, so I haven't lost it. A few years back my wife had a Forester. It was a good vehicle. It started using oil at 80,00km. Subaru didn't hesitate. They did an oil check, then replaced the shortblock. You would not get that sort of response from GMH.

ronaldo8, Aug 16, 7:37pm
Outback has a larger interior? um. no. The forester has more headroom, legroom, shoulder capacity and cargo capacity.

ronaldo8, Aug 16, 7:49pm
I've had three, they are superb. They have a loyal following for a reason. The whole of its functionality is greater than the sum of the parts like few others.

vtecintegra, Aug 16, 8:39pm
Headroom sure but not those other measures. Forester is 498/1768 (seats up/down) for cargo the Outback is 512/1801 and there is more width especially across the rear seats.

s_nz, Aug 16, 11:28pm
It's a bigger car, with longer wheelbase, giving a more comfortable ride, and ride quality. Also has a 6 cylinder engine option, with a higher 1800kg tow rating compared to the 1500kg max on the forester. My understanding is it is also set up a bit more for refinement & comfort (softer suspension, higher sidewall tires etc).

I haven't been in the current forester, but my understanding is that the old one had strut towers intruding into boot space unlike the outback, and that the suspention was set up a bit "sportier", coming from the imprezza platform rather than the legacy platform. Not sure what has changed with the new platform.

Of course, bigger is not always better. A car with a smaller footprint, and tighter turning circle is a lot easier to deal with day to day in the city. Also some will perfer the tall, but less long booth of the forester. Outback boot is long and fairly low.

ronaldo8, Aug 17, 1:51pm
No. The outback is bigger externally but with less internal space apart from 5mm more leg and shoulder romm for the rear passengers.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/subaru-forester-vs-subaru-outback/

kazbanz, Aug 17, 2:05pm
I'm five nine tall .missus five two and backseat passengers shorter still.
So for me the luggage space east/west / north south is more important than roof height or potential of legroom.
Also I prefer the way the outback feels to drive.

bagal, Aug 17, 10:06pm
We had a pretty good look at cars in the Forester class and came away thinking it represented pretty good value against CX5, CRV, RAV4 etc. It offered just that little bit more than the others. Quite different to the Outback and there are a few features on the Forester you don't get on the Outback. But there is a new Outback on the way.

goldfish76, Aug 27, 10:41am
What year XV did you buy and your thoughts on it good, bad . Looking at getting a new vehicle not sure whether to get a CX30 or a XV or Nissan

vtecintegra, Aug 27, 10:51am
Pretty sure that link isn't accurate - go look at the official figures

ronaldo8, Aug 29, 12:57am

vtecintegra, Nov 29, 3:06pm
That is really surprising

I'm actually in the market at the moment so have (child sear in hand) been looking at a both models and the Outback certainly seems to have a lot more space especially across the rear seats (Forester pushes the outboard two seats in towards the middle of the car)