It’s not legal YET.

Page 1 / 2
kazbanz, Jun 25, 8:09pm
Just a point worth mentioning. Yea the gubbiment can and has introduced the freebate scheme for electric vehicles. But currently cannot legally penalise buyers of “polluting “ vehicles. They have to get the legislation through parliament. So now is the time to be leaning on your MP and making it clear exactly what you think of the concept. Just to be clear it is a TAX on all vehicles with lower km/ l REGARDLESS of their seating capacity. So no more cheap people movers is just one affect

tgray, Jun 25, 8:58pm
Since the rebate comes into effect next week, they have already decided who is going to pay for it.
Come Jan 2022 my imports get $2,795 more expensive to register.

curlcrown, Jun 26, 8:22am
My prediction is that it will not make electric cars any more affordable, at least not second hand imports in the short to medium turn, prices will simply go up and the will cost more to buy in Japan. The result will simply be that more money ends up going to auction houses in Japan.

tgray, Jun 26, 9:46am
And I will be passing on that cost to my buyers.

3tomany, Jun 26, 9:54am
The mistake you make Kaz is thinking this is about the environment. The new ute tax is targeted at farmers and tradies who they dislike as the ones hit the most. Just like all the new property taxes are targeted at landlords, farmers and investors. It is all very targeted at those who do not vote red.

3tomany, Jun 26, 9:56am
And the buyers will blame you for being greedy and not the government that brought it in.

tgray, Jun 26, 10:17am
Yes, but will buy the car anyway.

3tomany, Jun 26, 10:19am
It is not going to hurt the remuera tractor buyer as 3k makes no difference, but someone buying a 10k camry is going to pay 30% more.

woki, Jun 26, 10:31am
kazbanz wrote:
So now is the time to be leaning on your MP and making it clear exactly what you think

Naive comment for sure !

Since when has this government listened to the people ?

franc123, Jun 26, 10:40am
You hope.

s_nz, Jun 26, 11:48am
$10k buys you a Camry in the 2013 -2016 range.

The non hybrid in is rated at 7.8L/100km or 183g co2/km. This is in the free zone. (fees apply above 192g co2 / km).

Also the camry has a hybrid version that will likely qualify for a substantial rebate.

gazzat22, Jun 26, 11:55am
I imagine a fair number put their vehicle on finance so wont make too much difference over 3-5 years.

kazbanz, Jun 26, 11:56am
Sorry but at this point in time you are wrong.
Although they are trying to make out that the two things are tied together they are not. They can give away taxpayers money no problem but CANNOT add the extra tax without the legislation being passed through parliament into law. That means it has to get the required number of votes in parliament.

kazbanz, Jun 26, 11:57am
When it means their chance of feeding at the trough is gone it will

gusthe1, Jun 26, 1:10pm
with the government holding 75 out of 120 seats I think they easily have the required number of votes

3tomany, Jun 26, 1:16pm
I was thinking second hand V6 version.

s_nz, Jun 26, 3:24pm
In the age bracket that corresponds to a primarily $10k price, I think the v6 ones were all called "Aurion", rather than "Camry", hence my assumption of one of the 4 cylinder power-trains.

All listings seem to be NZ new ones. (I don't know if the Aurion / Camry V6 was even offered in japan).

Should note that the proposed fee only applies at first registration in NZ, and won't apply to the purchase of already registered used cars, like all the current Aurion listings on trademe.

3tomany, Jun 26, 3:29pm
Obviously it will affect only jap import ones at the price point.

alowishes, Jun 26, 3:30pm
They’ve got the numbers to just rush it through doing it ‘order in council’ like they did with the new gun laws.

Submissions? Pah, they won’t even read them!

tgray, Jun 26, 6:14pm
Let's not kid ourselves, this will go through.

cjohnw, Jun 26, 6:25pm
Yeah, sorry I think you are incorrect there.
From the outset the Government have never called it a “tax”, even though you do. It is not a tax.
The “scheme” is known as the Clean Car rebate/feebate administered by NZTA/Waka Kotahi and does not require any seperate legislation at this stage. It is possible that when the full policy is implemented in January 2022 it might, depending on the wording.
All the work on this was done by JAG in the previous government but was stymied by NZ First and their votes.
The current Government has more than enough votes to pass any law it wants.

s_nz, Jun 26, 7:55pm
Used Japanese import v6 Toyota Carnry's around $10k value are either extremely rare, or non existent.

The vast majority of used import cars from japan will be in the free or rebate emissions category. As a whole the fleet in japan is fairly low emissions compared to our fleet in NZ. Current top selling model in japan is the Yaris / Vitz, go back a couple of years.

Of course there will be some vehicles which do incure a fee, such as Large engine luxary cars like the Toyota crown. Along with larger vans.

bitsy_boffin, Jun 26, 9:06pm
Hey now! We'll have none of this bringing facts into a good old fashioned rabble rousing!

tamarillo, Jun 27, 6:59am
It’s not a tax on all vehicles though. All those Mazda 2s, hybrids, small Suzuki’s and Toyota etc get a rebate…cheaper. The ship loads of corollas and there ilk are neutral.
It saddens me we have to do these things but frankly we’re behind the eight all by world standards and have to do more to encourage purchase of more efficient economical cars.
Be honest, a heck of a lot of big SUV and Ute buying is around fashion, image and is wasteful and unnecessary. People seem to think they need a Ute when they always managed with a trailer occasionally. Families getting SUVs for occasions when extra seats needed and where a good hatch or wagon would work better. Tradies use utes just to get to job sites where they do t even provide materials. And I’ve met a few lately who have changed to vans as their tools ect are secure.

rpvr, Jun 27, 8:15am
Fewer will buy. Some will decide it's more economical to spend a few thousand keeping older and arguably more polluting vehicles on the road.