New SUV - suggestions please

Page 1 / 2
kcng, Feb 1, 11:59pm
Looking at purchasing a new vehicle, wanting a mid size SUV (approx Rav 4 size). Am only at the start of looking, but so far like the look of Subaru Foresters, Ford Escapes and Peugeot 2008/3008s (at this stage have only test driven a forester). What would you recommend and why? Are there any better options i should be considering?

cjohnw, Feb 2, 7:08am
[quote=s_nz
As a general rule, subaru's are nice to drive, but cost more to run & maintain than other brands.[/quote]

Can you explain how you came to this conclusion?
I have owned quite a few Subarus and even ran a small fleet of Subaru sedans as rep cars, and never found them to be noticably any different to run or maintain than any other brands.

gusthe1, Feb 2, 7:33am
Is that good is it

tamarillo, Feb 2, 8:13am
Latest rav4 hybrid getting rave reviews from even the fussy aussie car mags. Toyota have really upped their game. But it’s not recommended if you need to carry larger humans in back seat, it’s lacking.
So then I’d look at Kia.
Subaru still a top seller as it’s comfortable, reliable and well made. Just gets job done. But it’s a bit old tech and heavy on the gas compared with these new ones.
I’d look at Skoda over Peugeot. They’re SUV range is very good.

sw20, Feb 2, 8:41am
Those new Ravs are so good they are pretty much sold out everywhere. There is only one for sale on Trademe at $48k with 15,000km, so they sure hold their value.

poppy62, Feb 2, 8:52am
Mercedes Benz GLC. Just because!

3tomany, Feb 2, 9:01am
I always recommend Escape as the engine is a gem and they are well equipped. The other two you have are great cars for different reasons. the forester is more a slightly lifted station wagon and while Toyota are best in class at nothing the rav4 is always going to have the best resale value. Just do not pay to much in the first place for a Toyota as it will wipe out that advantage.
All are great so drive all three then see who has the best deal v which one you like the most. Maybe write a pro/con list.

s_nz, Feb 2, 11:49am
A 1500kg tow rating is pritty typical for this size class. I just put it in as people are used to watered down tow ratings on hybrids, and this is not the case here.

AWD is a selling point. Arguably not necessary for many buyers, but if one wants to get past a chain's or 4wd restiction it is quite handy.

kcng, Feb 2, 10:01pm
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Lots to think about.

We did start by looking at the new hybrid Rav4s (had a ride in one), however I've had a Toyota Corolla (from New) for the last 7 years and to be honest i just felt like i wanted something totally different. Legroom is also extremely important for us as our kids are really tall, so perhaps that rules out a Rav 4 anyway.

Wasnt particularly keen on the inside design of the Kia Sportages, or the tuscons, but might have a look at the Nissan X-.trails. Can anyone recommend these?

We have quite a limited range of car brands up in Whangarei so will definitely be doing a visit or two to Auckland to try different brands before purchasing.

kcng, Feb 2, 10:18pm
Someone also mentioned Mazdas. Whilst I do really like the style of the Mazda cx5s, i feel like every second car on the road up here is a Mazda.

s_nz, Feb 2, 11:40pm
I didn't find the CX-5 partially roomy myself

With 2nd row space being a key criteria, I think the subaru outback would be worth a look. I at 183cm tall found the back of the last of the legacy wagons to be quite comfy spot.

Anybody been in a modern CRV?

You might also consider looking at the class above. Highlander / CX-9 size.

The 4th generation highlander is due out in a few months, and will only be offered as a 4 cylinder hybrid (180kW) so running costs should be reasonable. Had the 3rd gen as a rental car. Really roomy.

s_nz, Feb 3, 12:22am
Could put the Kia Sorento in the mix too.

tamarillo, Feb 3, 8:19am
Yep, thinking I might pick up the 4wd high output wagon version the traffic police use (they expect). Reliably informed they can be lot better looked after with only Few drivers and more open road. Mates local highway cop. might try for his a 3 years time.

tamarillo, Feb 3, 8:23am
Op, re leg room, all the more reason to look at the Skoda.

aoc1, Feb 3, 9:24am
The Suzuki vitara turbo would be my pick

bigfatmat1, Feb 3, 12:20pm
Mercedes benz gle 63s amg.

intrade, Feb 3, 8:38pm
if you want a cheap one and it has to be a suf get a Duster.
Suv is however for people who usually have no clue that they dont need a Suv . They have far less stability then a normal car by law of physics.

yendor, Feb 3, 8:53pm
What exactly are you planning on using the vehicle for?

trackim, Feb 4, 8:45am
Ford Endura.

3tomany, Feb 4, 10:14am
I do not think you can even buy new ones any more.

kcng, Feb 4, 11:13pm
Thanks - will definitely have a look at the Subaru Outbacks also!
We did have a look inside the CRV but didn't like them at all. Thought they looked quite cheap and basic inside.
I think the Mazda CX-9 size and the highlanders would probably be much too big for me. Pretty much id be mostly using the car for driving to work and back (about 50km a day).

kcng, Feb 4, 11:20pm
I agree re. the Tucsons. We had a Tucson years ago and we didn't feel they'd changed much at all. Salesman did say tho that the new Tucson was due out about May this year.

Thanks for the heads up about the new model X-trails coming out later this year. Might be able to get a good price for a run out special. Be interesting to see how different the new ones will be.

I think I'm pretty set on an SUV, but will definitely have a look at the Subaru Levorgs when we're down in Auckland next. We don't have a Subaru dealer up here.

kcng, Feb 4, 11:22pm
Thanks, will definitely put Skodas on my list to look at in Auckland (no Skoda dealership up here).

kcng, Feb 4, 11:25pm
Bit out of our price range unfortunately.

kcng, Feb 4, 11:27pm
Pretty much just for driving to work and back (open road and city driving). Prob do about 50ishkm a day.