Holiday road toll

Page 5 / 5
kiwilandchch, Dec 23, 4:55pm
You could run a book and take bets $$

elect70, Dec 24, 12:15pm
Gives plods the excuse to crack down harder on speeders remember there is no tolerance any more 101kph & your booked

azzab54, Dec 24, 4:06pm
How many will die this holiday period from having a " Single vehicle crash "?
It seems the " Road " is always to blame,it was wet,it was dark,it was not grippy enough and so on. Come on.

socram, Dec 24, 5:23pm
Agree. I wish they'd publish the annual figures for single vehicle fatalities.

tygertung, Dec 26, 8:39pm
Given that the biggest selling new vehicle is the double cab ute, which, let's face it, have the aerodynamics of a brick, there is no advantage to going faster.

tegretol, Dec 28, 11:33pm
There is no such event as a road 'accident' - that's why they are all called 'crashes'. Every single one is the result of some degree of human error.

lookoutas, Dec 29, 10:19am
When I was racing Jetboats it was the onus of the person being caught to let the faster boat past.
My optimum speed on the road under these Hitler conditions is 103 GPS. To set this I need to set my cruise control at 108, and I have to admit the fuel consumption is good at that speed. This means 85, 75 (and if I'm by myself) 65 kph corners are taken without cancelling out.
I accept that there are people/nana's and cars out there that can't do that. But to those people. When they see and hear a blue thing growling and snapping at your back bumper. Help me get past, and I won't be a bother to you any more.

martin11, Dec 29, 10:28am
Have you ever owned a Euro both my last 2 cars were/are and they were easily in top gear at 100kph .

socram, Dec 30, 5:48pm
Have I ever owned a Euro? Currently own 5. Two new automatics, 3 old manuals.

Amazing, as someone pointed out earlier, the road fatality this holiday is double last year's - and not a foreign tourist to be seen. First four fatalities of the holiday, single vehicle crashes.

mechnificent, Dec 30, 6:25pm
But weren't two of those crashes on a Friday night, and in Auckland city or surrounds. so not really holiday travelers.

An yeah, my impression is that by and large euro cars are higher geared. Than jappas anyway. by and large.

rectech, Dec 31, 8:53am
To summarise your post traffic enforcement is one vast revenue grabbing conspiracy? If so wouldn't it just be simpler to say triple vehicle registration fees? Or double income tax rates? The reason we die like flies on our roads is the nut behind the wheel, the guy who thinks its okay to overtake on a bend because he is frustrated, the texter, the stoner etc etc

marte, Dec 31, 10:05am
Vehicle registration fees used to be 2.5 times what they are now. Our road toll is lower now than what it is now & there's more cars on the road.

I look at how many vehicles out there that are parked badly, on the wrong side of the road ( facing oncoming traffic ) & how many people drive with only one headlight or with out certain tail/brake lights as a indication of the quality of our NZ drivers. And the lack of interest by police in enforcing these obvious safety laws.

dublo, Oct 6, 5:19pm
I recall reading a book about speed merchant and record breaker Sir Henry Segrave He recommended taking intersections very fast to reduce the time being at risk of being hit by another car!