Holden Barina RS 2015

bannylou, May 25, 6:59pm
Hi there
Can someone who is familiar with the 2015 Barina RS auto please give me the pros and cons of this vehicle?
I've never owned a Holden and am upgrading from a 2005 Toyota Vitz (our second car) which has been hugely reliable and has enough grunt for us.
Thanks in advance

gph1961, May 25, 7:29pm
well mama said if you.

bannylou, May 25, 7:40pm
I'm not sure what this means but what is very bizarre with your reply is that we called my mother-in-law Mama, she passed away recently and I've been wondering what she would be thinking about us changing cars to one of these!

intrade, May 25, 7:45pm
Why would you want a car that closed up shop from making, might as well get a saab.

dlin9, May 25, 7:46pm
Here's a con. It will leak coolant from every possible location & you'll get really tired of fixing it. Just one of many faults actually - much better options out there

intrade, May 25, 7:47pm
if you would buy a RS it would have to be manual. And do research some of them opel Gm engines had bad engine design knocking faults.
going from a 2005 vitz be like going from heaven to hell.
Ps vitz was the last of the good toyotas so dont expect heaven from that make either after 05

bannylou, May 25, 7:51pm
Ok, thanks

bannylou, May 25, 7:52pm
Thanks, feedback is appreciated. So if you had $15K to spend and wanted something small, safe and reliable, what would you suggest?

intrade, May 25, 7:59pm
Difficult you need more . See the problems is save means no room on inside and a heavy tank on outside. like my 2007 passat has only a 1m wide boot as my punto 96 fiat has 115m wide . Reliable is another problem nothing is as reliable as old toyotas once was What you want is to buy from a good dealer or brand-new car. or a year 2000 2001 with low mileage, "fresh import" but they are not safe as in they will crush more easy than a 2020 model i would research the new colt kia picanto suzuki small cars
and watch this video This guy talks of the problems All the stuff i posted since years on here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IouW6nEYHkw

franc123, May 25, 7:59pm
Short answer, don't, even if it seems cheap for how old it is. Theyre a pile of junk compared to what you are used to, the increased garage visits will be quite a shock going from one to the other. I can't recall if the RS is the 1.4 turbo version or not, if it is especially avoid it. As above the cooling systems are appalling, as are the auto trans.

tamarillo, May 25, 8:10pm
Good thing is that you should be able to get great value for money . They were not very popular here and with Holden gone you might get much lower miles than on same price japper. They are Korean version of a world car sold in Europe and states. The coolant problems were I believe to do with plastic thermostat housing from the previous model with totally different Daewoo engine.

bannylou, May 25, 8:29pm
Thanks everyone!
What are your thoughts on a Mazda 2? That's another one we really like but would be spending a few $K more to get it.

jmma, May 25, 9:53pm
Another Toyota

kazbanz, May 26, 9:01am
To be clear the car in question is only badged Holden its not a "real"holden
Mazda 3 or2 (axela /demio) Toyota Ractis. Toyota corolla/aurus

tygertung, May 26, 10:36am
My parents have a Ractis, it is very nice. Small on the outside but cavernous on the inside. It is like the Tardis:

"It's much bigger on the inside" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

andy61, May 26, 12:43pm
Check out the Honda Jazz/Fit, reliable, roomy, economical and dependable with high safety ratings.

andy61, May 26, 12:46pm
Dont these have the dreaded Powershit gearbox? best avoided?

suzgs750, May 26, 9:07pm
run forest run. buy some thing else.

tamarillo, May 26, 9:26pm
I believe the dreaded ones are in the focus, fiesta ones seem to be okay and offer advantages of a good dct.

andy61, May 27, 11:25am
A quick look on Google mentions the Fiesta as having the troublesome Powershit Transmission.

franc123, May 27, 11:32am
If you buy ANY of those Euro Fords made 2010-2015 regardless of what box is fitted, it will affect its resale value because of the whole ongoing powershift fiasco.

apollo11, May 27, 11:50am
I've got the Mondeo wagon. I made sure I bought manual, knowing the powershift issues people were having. It was very cheap, and eventually I'll be selling it for scrap I guess. Overall the Mondeos look to be pretty solid cars, except for that shitty powershift issue.

vtecintegra, May 27, 11:59am
All of the dry clutch Ford DCTs are affected so definitely the Fiesta. The wet clutch version in the Mondeo is apparently much better

franc123, Aug 3, 9:15am
Yep, theres no doubt that you can get a good buy if you know what to look for.