Mitsubishi eclipse cross

tinkagirl, Jan 25, 3:23pm
Has anyone purchased one recently and do you like it. I don't understand the turbo engine. TIA

tamarillo, Jan 25, 3:32pm
What do t you get about turbo? They’ve caught up with others with downsizing engine but adding turbo to upgrade power and most importantly torque which is what you need to get moving. Much better. I believe it’s tied to CVT gearbox though.

franc123, Jan 25, 3:33pm
You have just bought one? In what way do you not understand the turbo and what it does?

tygertung, Jan 25, 4:05pm
Back in the 80s, Mitsubishi produced a turbo version of every vehicle in their range.

tamarillo, Jan 25, 5:02pm
Sigma?

franc123, Jan 25, 5:35pm
Actually they didn't, neither the Debonair or V3000 were ever sold with a turbo option. Not that it's relevant to the OP anyway.

tygertung, Jan 26, 7:42am
My friend had a supercharged Debonair, so not really turbo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Debonair

You are right about the V3000, but that was more coming in after the golden age of mid '80s turbo Mitsubishis.

Sigmas definitely came in turbo variants.

There is not many of these golden turbo cars around any more, probably due to rust and worn out engines.

yendor, Jan 26, 11:21am
Test drove a top spec one recently. Nice interior and felt well put together. Went well but terrible open road ride and handling, wandered all over the place and made both of us feel sick. Was okay around town. We wouldn't buy one.

tinkagirl, Jan 26, 12:46pm
OK that is interesting, I need to take one for a test drive. Thanks for pointing that out

For those re the turbo, I know NOTHING about engines so was looking for some guidance and not sarcasm.

franc123, Jan 26, 1:20pm
There hasnt been any sarcasm. You need to explain a bit better about what you are not understanding about turbocharging.

tamarillo, Jan 26, 2:49pm
The turbo is simply a pump to add power to an engine, it pumps air in. Nearly all cars are now coming out with smaller lighter engines enhanced by turbos. They feel better to drive as you get better initial power. It is the way to go and nothing to fear. The tech has been around for decades, for instance all trucks use them. So nothing to worry about.

richardmayes, Jan 27, 12:32am
You can force a small engine to do a big engine's job by using a turbo or a supercharger to pump fuel/air mixture into the engine under pressure, this makes much more power than an engine of the same size but without a turbo can provide.

This used to be done on rally cars or high performance cars, but the current generation of tech uses it to get improved fuel consumption and pass the emissions tests. (By having a small, fuel-efficient engine that doesn't use much gas, unless you boot the throttle and the turbo kicks in.

Now, If you believe a small engine will continue to do a big engine's job for a long time without wearing out and dying young, then can I interest you in this bridge I have for sale?

The turbo itself runs off a turbine impeller driven by the red hot, dirty sooty stream of exhaust gas coming out of the engine, so they run extremely hot and they utterly depend on good clean engine oil circulation and cooling to keep them alive.

(Turbos have been standard on most diesel engines for a long time, but diesel engines tend to have a pretty robust construction. Turbos on petrol engines is technology that used to be designed to win a couple of rallies and then get re-built, IMHO. I'm sure the first owners of cars like yours have nothing to worry about, and will enjoy a good run from them, but I wouldn't want to be the 3rd or 4th owner of a 2020s small turbo engined SUV. my 2c.)

alliancebroker, Jan 29, 4:15pm
Have had one for 18 months. Also have access to Jag F-Pace and Mazda CX-5. Consider the Eclipse the best of them from a value point of view. Very economical in eco mode but sluggish until you put in cruise control. Does everything required but not quite every extra the other 2 have,

tygertung, Sep 21, 11:43am
Turbo petrol car engines have been popular for 40+ years so I am sure the manufacturers know what they are doing by now, and often they are water cooled so they are not relying on the engine oil for cooling. Noone is fitting turbo timers anymore.