Looking at buying a commodore

Page 2 / 2
countrypete, Jan 19, 8:56pm
The towing is once a month or so down to the ramp for about 6km return rip, so a diesel is probably not optimum. Don't want a ute as I value quiet, and smoother ride. I have had Grand Vitaras and while they do the towing well, with 4wd and low ratio, a commodore or similar has a better ride, and is quieter. That's why I am leaning that way. Already have a Falcon, and it is very heavy on fuel, with the 4-spd auto. Maybe later Falcons are more economical?

3tomany, Jan 19, 9:32pm
If you do not like the Falcon for fuel consumption then you are going to hate the commodore. The six speed falcon is an extremely fuel efficient car. The worst part of towing with a falcon is replacing all them dam bushes in the rear.

likit, Jan 19, 9:44pm
VF Commodore I’ve got is 6 speed, I’m doing 8.4 L/100km, normal driving & 9.5L/100km towing my boat on 700 km trip over Xmas.

serf407, Jan 19, 9:58pm
Still time to put a bid in on this one in aus.

Commodore ute in Australia expected to go for more than aus$1mill

https://www.9news.com.au/national/holden-hsv-gtsr-w1-maloo-on-track-to-be-most-expensive-aussie-made-road-car/3234f547-7fa1-4176-9db7-4cb0223a0320

absolute_detail, Jan 19, 10:49pm
The 6 speed auto falcons are way better. My old ba xr6 turbo would do around 12l/100km average

franc123, Jan 19, 10:51pm
The 1980-84 WB series Statesman, Caprice and commercials were obviously still "genuine Holdens"

The VB Commodore used a heavily modified hybrid Opel Rekord/Senator body that was locally made by GMH that used all Australian engines that were near identical to those used in the HZ. There has only been a couple of occasions where Opel derived engines have ever been used in Australian built Commodores for export markets in its 39 years. The 2.0 VN sold here was one of them, a mix of Opel straight 6 and V6 engines of 2.5/2.6L size were used in SE Asian market cars, badged as Royales.

Falcon has always been a solid performer that has done what is asked of it, it's not perfect but neither is anything else. It wasnt kept in production for 57 years because it was a dog.

franc123, Jan 19, 11:04pm
Haha from the man that thought a 2LT Surf was a brilliant tow vehicle! Rest assured late model Nissan diesels cannot take "a beating" either. Buying a late model diesel SUV or ute is going to cost you a lot more upfront in purchase price compared to a large petrol car of equivalent year/kms.

mrfxit, Jan 20, 8:17am
Then there was those pig-iron Opel 1900 engines.
Just Googling & it's hard to find any info on those for when Holden used them.
I was pretty sure they were in at least one model of early Commodore because it was a standing joke at the time about the 4cyl versions being gutless.
A lot of ppl still get mixed up between the Opel 1900 & the Starfire 1900

mrfxit, Jan 20, 8:28am
LOL, that ol 2.4 did pretty well for the 5 years I had it, never missed a beat & easily towed everything I asked of it.
Knowing how to treat a specific vehicle properly to do what you ask of it without falling apart , is an art form that most ppl don't understand.
Never said it was brilliant, but it wasn't a vehicle to go places in a hurry.

mrfxit, Jan 20, 8:38am
Fair enough in that case, defining how often you need it for towing, helps a lot with various possiblitys.
Load capacity max
How often
Type of roads traveled (flat/ hilly/ gravel & what mix)

franc123, Jan 20, 10:21am
I don't, the Opel was only used in Torana and Sunbird until the Starfire was created.

mrfxit, Jan 20, 11:12am
The Starfire was also used in the VC Commodore

Ex relative dropped a Starfire 1900 in to his Viva, went pretty good

countrypete, Jan 20, 12:55pm
I was only really asking about the pros and cons of the 3.0 vs 3.6 commodore. There are plenty of other options that I am aware of, but come back to the commodore as it suits my overall use. Cheers,

3tomany, Jan 20, 1:49pm
VF is definitely the best commodore ever made and yea it probably caught up to falcon in both power and economy. The technology in VF is also much better.

3tomany, Sep 25, 5:58pm
Advantage of the 3.0 will be price as you will get a much better example for the same money as 3.6. However the 3.6 will be no worse for economy and a much better drive over all especially in sv6 or Calais.