2018 Vitara - ‘Range’ estimate fault.

barrie2, Oct 24, 9:05pm
The forecast on my Suzuki distance range read 178k when I left home. Half hour later, after 45k travel it read 260, this increased after one hour to 315. A bit later on reaching my destination it read 250.
Petrol gauge on quarter tank so chanced it home. Range read from 250, 190, 200 to 140 before petrol warning light came on and range forecast disappeared.
Only12k’s on clock. Any thoughts why this necessary gauge was so erratic?
PS. As I had a voucher for 20c litre off from P’nSave Rotorua I wanted to fill up there hence my not filling up on route.

nzmax, Oct 24, 10:21pm
Did your range increase coincide with open road driving, or faster driving than normal, and your range decrease coincide with slower driving through town or the likes? If it did, that is pretty normal. As an example, when my Maxima low fuel warning comes up round town in a 50km area it shows around 30km to empty, but as soon as I get on the motorway 100km area it increases to 70 or 80 km to empty. When I get back into the 50km area, the distance to empty reduces again.

franc123, Oct 24, 10:28pm
DTE readouts use a complicated calculation to determine the reading at any given time. Sudden changes in usage, ie if you have been doing several cold starts and only driving in town for weeks, or towing a trailer, and then suddenly you do a long highway trip will always make it display an extended range from when you started because the fuel consumption rate per km has gone down dramatically. Highly unlikely there is any sort of a fault.

barrie2, Oct 25, 9:52am
Thanks guys for replying. I understand more now re the fluctuating figures.
In Tirau it showed 70k range left, Rotorua is 50k so I took that chance.
Not a habit I will get into but under those circumstances - expensive fuel in Tirau v 20c litre off fuel P&Save Rotorua I saved enough for a box of beers!

3tomany, Nov 2, 9:15am
It is an estimate on current usage. Should you hitch up a trailer you would brassed off if it used your last trip as an estimate so it keeps itself relevant at all times. Your long term average will only be a push of the button on the display.