Which service station car wash is the best

lissie, Mar 16, 4:37pm
Yes I know I should hand wash - however that's illegal in Porirua - as we don't have grass the car can stand on, and you are no longer allowed to let car wash water run into the strom water (plus its never going to happen)

So we have a near-new Holden Spark - it has metallic paint which I know is more fragile than normal paint, and we leave next to the sea (though the car is garaged).

So which car wash does the least damage! Wax a good idea yeah/nah?

gph1961, Mar 16, 7:28pm
take it to a car valet for wash only

nesta129, Mar 16, 8:37pm
never tried one but look into waterless car wash sprays.And yes wax is always a good idea.

supernova2, Mar 16, 10:06pm
Wait till its raining and wash it wherever its parked. If Council gets upset suggest they ticket the cause of the rain.

blueviking, Mar 17, 6:43am
Took my car to the local Caltex, brushless and I think it came out dirtier.

kazbanz, Mar 17, 9:45am
Near new paint. Best to get the car valeted .I reckon long term that will be cheaper than a repaint.

tamarillo, Mar 17, 10:56am
As above valet and waxed well and often.

intrade, Mar 17, 11:03am
i put nano wax stuff on our new dacia and it lasted well my brother totaled it 2 times first time parts where already ordered its how it made it to get repaired . 4 years or so it only lasted. so cant say how good the wax was.

yz490, Mar 17, 11:12am
Took my old audi to BP & it whipped the aerial short stump off from above the rear window. I saw it land on the left windscreen wiper believe it or not. So i stupidly put the wipers on & luckily it landed on my side & stayed there to live another day. Was happy to get out of there alive lol as not been through one for many years. & also luckily the short stump was plastic & fitted back in tight. Guy said [we were told to say] aerials under X length long are safe, but i guess that's the flexible type when pushed back down. Mine got flicked out of place when the brush was rotating from back to front so sort of asking for it unfortunately.
Might add it did a great job though.

lissie, Mar 17, 11:20am
If you were going to pay for a valet and wax how often should you do that for a car that's garaged? Once a month?

nzrose7, Mar 17, 11:20am
Silicon wax will affect ability of touch up paint to 'stick'

serf407, Mar 17, 1:16pm
Don't have any friends to go round to their place with grass and wash the car?

bryshaw, Mar 19, 10:32pm
That is what I thought. What has happened to kiwi ingenuity?

lissie, Mar 20, 9:54am
Nope I live in a city precious few grass verges or flat front lawns around here

jmma, Mar 20, 10:46am
Do it yourself in the car wash by Warehouse
http://smartwash.nz/

kam04, Mar 21, 9:40am
I knew of a BP station (years ago) that recycled their wash water. Not sure if that is still done

casper35, Aug 31, 10:43pm
I worked at a service station for 10 years. you wouldnt believe the large amount of stuff that gets broken off cars in the car wash. Nothing is safe.