Oil Changers

Page 2 / 2
joanie32, May 26, 7:46pm
You do realise that they just decanter from drums of oil from a oil manufacturer?

And you can buy the exact same oil yourself a whole lot cheaper?

Drive past their yard and the empty 200L drums are stacked just inside the gate - on the left.

oscars.emporium, May 28, 8:20pm
I think you have been charged a fair price for an express service
I would rather go to a dedicated transmission service centre than an express service
my guy charges either

$250+GST for drain & refill, including removing pan, changing filter ,checking and making adjustments as required
or

$327+GST to do all the above plus flush the system with all new fluid.

franc123, May 28, 11:56pm
So youre quite happy with a big performance drop and lousy fuel economy then? Low tech autos were a big reason why emissions targets were hard to achieve, they had to be ditched. I like old 3 speed units too because theyre not fussy in their operation but in every other way a good CVT trumps them. Theyre way better than these 6+ speed "normal" autos that are constantly changing gear to achieve the same thing as a CVT.

kiwilandchch, Jun 20, 12:59pm
pan was not dropped filter not changed after speaking to them they confirmed it was drained it has drain plug and filled . doesnt matter now i no to take it to the pros now not likes of oil changers . cost me few bucks didnt need spend to learn this

bumfacingdown, Jun 20, 1:31pm
So they lived up to the name "oil changers" then

tradingfreak360, Jun 21, 9:45pm
Off topic: avoid those monkeys CVT NZ at all costs. I had them service a Honda Civic CVT that was working perfectly fine before they touched it.
Drove back home 45 mins and behold, shuddering badly on take off.
It only got worse where the CVT failed to get into reverse gear.
Towed to the Honda dealer. Drained and refilled the CVT twice with genuine fluid and never had an issue since.

franc123, Jun 21, 9:50pm
Yep only the Honda branded fluids need to be used in those. I would have told them to come and get it and swap the fluid to the correct one at their cost.

intrade, Jun 22, 11:50am
that is interesting because there website looks like they know what they do when you sell parts and discribe problems. I hope you can back up your claims.
WHAT i do know is yes Honda only ever use geniuen honda fluids thats not new that is also for 1990s honda automatics. Honda was basically the world inventor of requirement of oem fluids. Just like bill gates was the first pirate in computing.

intrade, Jun 22, 11:58am
it makes no sense why they would have put wrong fluid it states only for honda on bottle.
https://cvt-parts.co.nz/honda-cvt-oil-5ltr-can/

see if it would say compatible with all other manuafcturer and lst a lot. Like they do with coolant when VW have warning G12 on coolant bottle and a f. kn immage of a manual to read. When VW g12 is the only coolant to be used and it states its compatible and lists GM and Ford when you know GM is dexcool that turns to mud if mixed with other coolant. Then you know warning compatible= wrong fluids

tradingfreak360, Jun 22, 5:44pm
Yes. That’s the reason why I made the extra effort and drive to have it serviced by them, because as you state it does seem as though they know what they’re doing.
Trust me I ain’t telling lies. I can only hope it was a genuine mistake and the wrong fluid was used or simply they’re fluid isn’t suitable for Honda CVT. The Honda mechanics reckon the fluid even “smelled” wrong.
After 1 drain and refill I drove for another 1000kms then done then another drain and refill to get it all out.
What was supposed to be a $250 service, cost me in excess of $800 in the end.
Honestly I never hit up CVT NZ about the issue as I genuinely didn’t have the time and was just thankful my car was running back normal again. Numpty would have denied any wrong doing anyway.

joanie32, Jun 22, 8:29pm
Honda CVT oil isn’t anything special
It’s just a high viscosity version of other CVT oil
It is also used in other vehicles.

With the way the oil industry is operating at the moment, the manufacturer could be a different company on a monthly basis.

pandai, Jun 22, 9:00pm
Honda CVT oil is made by Idemitsu but the Castol or Amsoil alternatives for HCF-2 are fine as well

mk3crazy, Jun 27, 12:05pm
I won’t take my Ford back to Oil Changers anymore, they did a poor job. They have young guys working where I took my car and they just all gathered around staring at my car which took longer than expected. Not even sure they used the right oil.

franc123, Jul 19, 4:49pm
Purchasing it from Honda is still the only way to be certain. You have to have access to considerable inside information re who is supplying what formulation otherwise.