Curious question about electronic type ignitions.

car__parts, Apr 29, 4:29pm
I was playing with a plug pack, that is the bit that fits on the spark plug from a Jeep motor, it appears to have the coil attached to it and the wiring harnes has just 2 terminals. What I was attemting to do was connect 12 volt to it and see if I could make a spark, it wouldent work,, so is there something else that would be required to make an individual pack spark on the work bench?.

saxman99, Apr 29, 4:43pm
Did you remember to earth the spark plug?

gph1961, Apr 29, 5:10pm
strike 1

intrade, Apr 29, 5:21pm
yea i guess you talk a coil on plug. This has 12 volts and then a signal to to work the transitor to collaps the magnetic field . its all the same same only different. ford model t is also coil on plug .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWEaWaX0CYc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgW29DGAlVU

gph1961, Apr 29, 5:31pm
disappointingly lucid

car__parts, Apr 29, 6:02pm
Yes I did earth the plug.

franc123, Apr 29, 7:07pm
Ok I'll substitute.

Dont by Mit$u$hitheap they al break down lik my naybours Holdon they use onehanglow caps=no go best yu only by only iron hed Hilux with the buckskin tappettrs. Jepp I dunno they made by dim yanks best u watch younoob video on those hotdog munchas and there werd ideas

gph1961, Apr 29, 7:26pm
made me drop my torch

poppy62, Apr 29, 7:34pm
The most Lucid sentence you've posted.

franc123, Apr 29, 7:38pm
I ned 300$ torch as I always ned to fix my Mb100=Sangyoyo Mersaydays 5cly deesel wif no EGR or eluktronik crap made in Koorea and no problem wif low sulfur deesel and no fn DPF wurrye etha.

dublo, Apr 29, 8:22pm
Loved franc's take on the subject (and take-off of our regular wise contributor's grasp of English) but I do have sympathy for someone for whom English is not his native tongue. It is such a mishmash of Old English, French, Scandinavian, Latin and who knows how many other languages, that it must be devilishly hard to learn for one who grew up with the well-ordered German language. And in motoring we have all the differences between English and American terms for vehicle components and phrases. When I opened my U.S.-sourced workshop manual for my Honda I was faced with the term "complete tear-down" of the engine. Sounded a bit drastic to me. (Sorry, I am getting way off the topic, hope the originator has learned what he wanted.)

gph1961, Apr 29, 8:40pm
offside

gph1961, Apr 29, 8:40pm
poor bugger is shell shocked

franc123, Apr 29, 8:52pm
#12 have a read of manuals translated from Japanese to English for some REAL amusement. I guess the fence sitter Swissies can't make up their mind if they're German, French or Italian anyway so that just makes it harder.

car__parts, Apr 30, 1:46pm
I havent tried this yet but here goes my thinking now. Earth on the spark plug +12volt on the appropriate terminal and some form of voltage on the trigger and my idea might work.

franc123, Apr 30, 1:54pm
Plug needs to be grounded, a 12v supply to one terminal of the coil and the other terminal is used to ground the coil, the process of opening the ground circuit is what causes the spark.

sr2, Apr 30, 3:40pm
What ^^^^^ said.

car__parts, May 9, 8:59pm
I am still trying to make a jeep grand cherokee plug pack (2 pin) work on the bench so it can be used in another application. I cant get a new plug to spark. Is there something I am missing? Do iI need a Capacitor? I earth the plug, apply 12 volt power to the harness and then presume the earth should trigger a spark, dose this seem right.

franc123, May 9, 9:15pm
Re read #17.

tegretol, Aug 10, 12:50pm
Which part of him did he shock?