Most K's without an oil change?

Page 1 / 2
tgray, Aug 18, 10:09am
I have seem cars that have gone 35,000k's without an oil change.
For the price of oil and a filter, it's just disgusting to leave it that long.
I'm sure you guys out there have seen worse?
How long without an oil change are you aware of?

scuba, Aug 18, 10:27am
Way back early 2000s A sales rep used to come to us for tyres/ puncture repairs- late 90s Nissan Primera.
Told me it had been 90000 ks since his last oil/ filter change. Corroborated by the oil change sticker on the screen.
All he did was top up when needed.I told him that model was known for sludging and causing issues but he didn't want to know.He said all the long distance hot running would stop any issues.

headcat, Aug 18, 10:28am
How often do you service a fridge? Because that is what most cars equate to these days. We need to get over the idea that they are an investment and just use them up like any other appliance.

paul861, Aug 18, 10:49am
heard of a john deere that did 2400hrs from new before it stopped

apollo11, Aug 18, 10:55am
Talked to a cycle courier. He was on a VFR400 (as was I at the time). His bike was reading 103 000k. He said he'd never done an oil change on it for the 80 000k he had owned it.

mrfxit, Aug 18, 11:11am
He's not wrong, but he's not right either
Regular long distance driving does extend the life of the oil as long as it's not high speed driving or hauling heavy loads

intrade, Aug 18, 11:14am
#2 He said all the long distance hot running would stop any issues.
that is actually correct still not a wise idea especially on more modern cars that need 100% of the oils protection property and get contamination via emission control systems .

mrfxit, Aug 18, 11:19am
It will stop any common sludge problems but doesn't stop metal wear fragments etc from filling the filter
Oil additives also break down with std running temps & create their own sludge type contaminants/ varnish

franc123, Aug 18, 11:56am
90000km on two vehicles, one was a 2.0 Mondeo Mk3 and the other a V6 Captiva, both vehicles were under 6yo at the time from memory. Both engines were reduced to scrap. The lady who owned the Captiva that we fitted a brand new long engine to came and picked it up, swiped the plastic for $9500 we quoted and charged her and didnt even make comment. The lady with the Mondeo was bewildered that cars still needed servicing in the 21st century, was equally bewildered that such a failure was not covered by her MBI and she still owed $10k in HP on the damn thing. I slapped the sump back on it and it sat out the back of the workshop for about two weeks until a guy from the yard she bought it from towed it away and presumably replaced the engine and it was later seen for sale. What she ended up driving who knows.

poppy62, Aug 18, 12:07pm
1971 I was at Manukau Tech doing studies Engineering related. Had a tutor there who ran a VW Beetle laimed he had never changed Oil in 86,000 miles just added more when needed. I know there is going to be some conjecture but there are examples of cars going 100,000 miles without a change. Here's an example ( at 86,000 miles):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/2zochr/audi_tt_with_84000_miles_without_an_oil_change/

poppy62, Aug 18, 12:13pm
My personal opinion is that people are obsessed with ritual Oil changes. The improvements in Oil technology ( like the ICE) has kept pace with the demands of modern engines. 20,000kms should be easily achievable between changes, but most are running scared by the marketing Gurus of the Oil/Filter companies. This is worth a read:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/stop-changing-your-oil.html

tgray, Aug 18, 12:46pm
Depends what type of oil you put in.
The Warehouse 20W50 oil for $19 you wouldn't want to go 20,000k without a change.

poppy62, Aug 18, 12:54pm
Do they do oil/filter changes on the cars in the 24hour Le mans race? Doesn't get any more brutal on machinery as an endurance race at high speed.

franc123, Aug 18, 12:55pm
The only outfits I've ever experience pushing short service intervals are express lubes places and ordinary garages. Dealership service depts generally only follow standard warranty recommendations unless theres clear evidence the vehicle is being subject to severe operating conditions. The manufacturers dont favour shorter intervals, it puts them at a competitive disadvantage if they do when lease and fleet buyers in particular are dragging out the abacus and wanting to know what operating a vehicle is going to cost over three years. Express lube places are doing one task and their main objective is to sell oil, and as much of it as they can. If you take their advice, well, you're going to be visiting more often than you need to. If Americans are obsessed by anything, its convenience.

poppy62, Aug 18, 1:00pm
I agree. There was a time when I used Dominion Oil Refinery oil in the Mini Ute/van I ran as work hacks back in the 1970s, I became very proficient at doing a engine/gearbox swap during my working day whilst I also carried out the usual day running my yard. The D.O.R. oil was worse than the Warehouse stuff, luckily i wrecked a lot of Minis. since then I do use quality oils.

saxman99, Aug 18, 1:08pm
On a semi-related note: a few years ago I knew a young chap who was here on a gap year and bought a very cheap 80's Mitsi Lancer to run around in. On his last couple of days here he decided to run an "experiment" to see how long it would run without oil. He drained the sump in Wellington and set off for Auckland.

He made it to Ngaruawahia. Not bad really.

joanie32, Aug 18, 6:35pm
30,000k is recommended service interval for my company car.
I use a very good quality oil in my classic car and do regular oil analysis. One is currently close to 20,000 miles and not requiring a change yet.

stevo2, Aug 18, 6:50pm
Son in Law had a Skyline for 3 years. Never even CHECKED the oil. It ran out one day on the way back from Wellington on the Desert Road. He Hitched a ride into Waiouru and bought a 4 litre pack. Tipped it in and drove back to Tauranga.
I showed him how to change the oil and filter and he kept it for another year - no issues

electromic, Aug 18, 9:28pm
1984 Corolla. 173 000km on the clock, don't know when it was last serviced. The oil filter had completely disintegrated and it's contents deposited throughout the engine. The engine was stuffed, it burnt 1litre of oil per 100km.

rovercitroen, Aug 18, 9:49pm
I know a guy who had a Peugeot 405 that had done HEAPS of miles. Had it for years. Didn't change the oil but use to top it up every few months when the oil light started flickering during fast cornering. That car just kept going and going. I have always been really fussy with oil changes but in reality it is probably future owners that get the benefit of my diligence.

matarangi3, Aug 18, 10:02pm
I bought a 1994 Econovan it had 135,000 ks on the clock it blew a head gasket at about 288,000 ks I think from memory I changed the oil 4 times in the 13 years i owned it,it just didn't use oil much. Probably would have done another 100,000 ks if I looked after it?

saxman99, Aug 19, 1:24am
Probably. I had a 94 econvan Camper with the 2L FE engine For a while a few years ago. It had some issues from time to time but kept going OK. When I sold it the clock had over 400ks on it and still going strong.

rodeorunch, Aug 19, 6:42am
Years ago we had a old flat head dodge engine hand cranked.
This was set up as a boat slip way motor been in place for
The last 200 or so years.
Decided to give it some tlc and oil change.
Dropped the sump plug and nothing come out.
Jammed a stick up the hole and pulled out some tar like
Stuff and had to keep doing this to get the oil ( if that’s what it was )
Out of the hole.
Amazing little engines back in the day.

cabrio1, Aug 19, 7:47am
Fiat strada.
60 thousand miles.
I had a front end smash and the bonnet wouldn't latch so I screwed it shut.
Vowed never to open it again.
Eventually the clutch started slipping, dropped it at the wreckers on my way home one night.

gblack, Aug 19, 7:52am
Oil? Who needs oil. there is a crowd on YouTube who brought a dirt cheap Chinese bike off Amazon and. abuse it.

I like this one, where they run the bike using honey instead of oil. I was not disappointed with the results:

https://youtu.be/9tQw5gCd4Kk