Tyre or car advice please

Page 2 / 3
stevo2, Mar 18, 5:52pm
I would suggest that since its a Toyota Auris automatic, I would very much doubt its wheelspin. You actually need to TRY to wheelspin those and unlikely it would happen in the dry.
Most likely scenario is transmission slipping

nice_lady, Mar 18, 7:11pm
Waits with bated breath to find out of the OP really had it wrong and the tires aren't actually spinning. Interesting lol.

dlin9, Mar 18, 7:14pm
Being a CVT this is exactly what it is supposed to do

OP - do you see any flashing lights on the dash when this happens?

john1623, Mar 18, 7:33pm
Perhaps one car is auto and the other cvt.

jordani, Mar 18, 10:36pm
To be honest didn’t look at dash, booked into get transmission looked at next week to eliminate what it could be
I do really appreciate all the helpful comments, hard to know what to do or believe, when your a female with not a huge car knowledge and not wanting to be ripped off

franc123, Mar 18, 11:29pm
It shouldnt be too hard to determine. Since you already have a very good idea of when it happens and can replicate the conditions when it happens, you are way ahead.

kazbanz, Mar 18, 11:38pm
l totally missed 4 years and 800000km. I’d be looking pretty hard at the tyres. By all accounts they should be well due for replacement. 80 k is right up there at the top end miles wise for tyres

scuba, Mar 19, 3:52pm
its all good Kaz half the "experts" on here have decided its a transmission problem not a tyre issue. without knowing all the facts or even undertaking a road test-you should send all your cars to them for maintenance issues.

scuba, Mar 19, 4:19pm
lol you guys may be proven to be correct but how about a road test and conversation with whoever services her car first to confirm what shes looking at.

john1623, Mar 19, 7:55pm
I dont think anyone on here considers themselves an expert, we are just throwing in some thoughts on what could solve the problem. Probably some are wide of the mark but at least could be considered.

clark20, Mar 20, 9:34am
I'm with you here kaz, the distance and heat cycles they would be hard as by now, and new ones would be much better all round. Get you moneys worth out of 80,000km (my rears are lucky to see 15,000km @ $600 ea)

tygertung, Mar 20, 11:12am
If the tyres are slipping they would be making a whirring sort of rubbing sound.

intrade, Mar 20, 11:14am
no they dont. the engine rev noise is louder then the tyre noise. i know i been there as above bridgstone my something 5 year old they where.

tygertung, Mar 20, 11:46am
It will depend on how loud the exhauast is maybe.

Here is a selection of wheel spins to get an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-JyPMf1X18

bwg11, Mar 20, 5:57pm
I'll vote for wheelspin. Some tyres are just terrible in the wet. My Toyota connection goes back to the first KE25 Coupes in NZ which were imported CBU before local assembly started. The cars were great, but we joked about the Japanese tyres, we called them "plastic tyres", a hard change from second to third on a wet road would initiate wheelspin that felt like clutch slip, all from the mighty 1166 cc motor. Way back, I had a modified, supercharged AW11, which was stored for 10 years and the Dunlop D60's (which were a premium tyre in their day) had become hard and unsafe.

jordani, Mar 26, 5:01pm
It’s not the transmission
Was badly wheel spinning in wet, new tyres as other ones not great even though depth 3/4

scuba, Mar 29, 8:49pm
Well done for reporting back.

s_nz, Mar 29, 10:31pm
Sweet. Glad you resolved the issue.

What tires did you opt for? Hopefully you find the car way nicer with decent tires.

tygertung, Mar 30, 8:14am
I hope the video linked above was helpful.

gunna-1, Mar 30, 8:45am
Thats funny about older tyres, the newer tyres seem to make an awefull lot of road noise on cars now is this because the tread is made out of harder rubber? is this so softer tyres dont wear out so fast, one cheap brand i remember use to wear out fast because it was a softer compound, but if the tyres are made to hard when new it might be the cause of this issue with older tyres, i use to pick old ones up from the wreckers 20 odd years ago and never struck this.

mrfxit, Mar 30, 8:51am
Still doesn't sound right unless they were seriously crap tyres or you have a heavy foot.
Fair enough on steep hills with hard or junk tyres but you also said it happens on flat dry roads turning corners.
On that note, it's not easy to get seriously crappy tyres these days, even the cheapest seem to do ok for casual/ sensible driving

gunna-1, Mar 30, 9:18am
There must be some issue with newer tyres, i never had this issue with cheaper tyres back in the day that has a history of aquaplaning and had cracked sidewalls they were so old, and i had a very heavy foot.

msigg, Mar 30, 10:09am
Cheap tyreshave nylon in them, not very good grip in the wet. The best tyre are when u buy a new car, these tyre they put on are suited to the car in often they will last many thousands of km, I know of 2x ute drivers that have had really hook km out of there tyres,. These guys do the wheel changes and alignment often, were talking 140k, it's all about good tyres and maintenance and careful driving.

itsafamilything, Mar 30, 10:25am
You were stopped at lights on a steep incline.

Ok load is one factor eg people /gear in back.
The presence of shingle / slippery surface etc is a possibility.
As said tyre pressures too high is also a possibility.

Anyway your trans has been ruled out. The smell would have been
pretty bad and fluid a burnt black to be in that condition so I would
not have been too quick to raise that as a possibility. Be thankful the trans shop didn't sell you new trans! Or even your OWN trans but just steam cleaned and a fluid flush! It can happen!
BTW your new tyres will do the same thing pretty much, whatever they are
if you have a loose / slippery road surface coupled with over inflation and a loaded rear end taking off on a steep incline so consider that too.

franc123, Mar 30, 10:55am
Oh yes of course, we should all kneel in the shadow of your zero technical contribution to this thread, which is standard, yet you freely criticize others for their ideas. Frankly this condition caused by a quality brand tyre only 4yrs old with 4mm tread on still is VERY hard to believe.