What is the best 2011-2013 SUV to buy.

pagrus_auratus, Jul 18, 6:21pm
I currently drive a 1996 Nissan Terrano Regulus, 3.2 Diesel, Auto. It still goes good and I like it, but think it may be time to replace it. I was thinking about a 2011-2013 Nissan X-trail, Auto, Diesel, but have just been told they have a space saver tyre.

Looking for suggestions.

Up to ten years old.
Full automatic transmission (ie. not CVT)
Full-size (matching) spare wheel
Preferably 4WD (not AWD). I do not need low ratio.
Diesel or Petrol
Budget. $15,000 plus the terrano.
What do you recommend.

intrade, Jul 18, 6:48pm
Nothing really the 15 grand you will spend on repairs on a product who was designed to last 6 years its 2020 a 2012 is end of live export scrap and will be pumped full of expensive faults.
. You could get the new dacia duster as that is also the nissan terrano but it be brand new only renault duster.
or you could just keep what you have for as long as possible. Does yours have a electronic injector pump. ?
You can only go old 2000 to 2005 or brand new .
i say 2000 cause that gives 1 year wof.
https://www.renault.co.nz/suv/duster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKA5wgu36ag
that is the dacia renault duster just badged terrano

monaro17, Jul 18, 6:54pm
The 3.2 in those are the QD32ETI
i.e. it has the electronically controlled mechanical injector pump which yes does need maintenance with age.
Brilliant engine and all around vehicle.

The OP has some hard to fill criteria. I’m not sure you could tick all those boxes sorry. Most modern stuff is AWD rather than the part time 4wd you seem to want

framtech, Jul 18, 7:02pm
Jeep wrangler

msigg, Jul 18, 8:13pm
Toyota RAV4, it will out last the others. Otherwise for something bigger an older Prado will do the job.

franc123, Jul 18, 9:42pm
Suzuki Vitara or Escudo, although it might be pushing it to get a lowish km one for that budget in that year range. Good variety of engines and a good 4x4 system, sadly like the Xtrail they use a Renault diesel which I would not recommend, if you are tempted by the 3.2V6 engine bear in mind it's the very so-so GM Alloytec engine that was used in the Holden Commodore and Captiva. not recommended either. Any of the petrol 4's are a good choice, although slightly older versions use a 2.7V6 which is OK.

pettal, Jul 18, 10:04pm
depends on what you get for your Nissan ? .

s_nz, Jul 18, 11:07pm
Note these (unusually for a "proper 4wd" with low range) get a space saver tire by default. This is something that was important to OP.

john1623, Jul 19, 11:17am
Just go to a wrecker and buy a full size wheel.

kazbanz, Jul 19, 11:58am
personally I'd buy a road car and keep the regulus.

sw20, Jul 19, 4:12pm
So you can have something that is actually enjoyable to drive on the road, then keep the Regulus for towing/off roading.

franc123, Jul 19, 4:14pm
Something to do with the fact that Xtrails aren't particularly good vehicles I'd have thought. I would buy the T32 but certainly not a 31, and like I said above the diesel should be avoided completely.

sw20, Jul 20, 6:09pm
God loves a trier Mals. You keep on being you.

woodcrafter, Jul 20, 6:21pm
76 series Landcruiser

bazfan, Aug 2, 10:12pm
Go for a 3L v6 Mitsi Outlander - that ticks all your boxes mate. It’s 6 spd auto and has a full size spare and selectable 4wd

s_nz, Aug 2, 10:28pm
I think OP is long gone.

The v6 engine was only offered in the previous generation out-lander (outside of the USA), which has a space saver spare tire. The PHEV variant (with no spare tire) is the highest performance trim on the new shape, replacing the V6 option.

horses7, Aug 6, 9:09pm
Dont overlook territory diesel 2011 onwards,all wheel drive 2.7 diesel engine with pretty decent performance and not bad economy,very good engine and one of the best driving suvs on the market,previously owned a qd 32 terrano for 7 years and loved it,probably best vehicle i have ever had and really hard to find a suitable replacement but have had a territory for 5 years and its just another level

ronaldo8, Aug 7, 12:37am

kcf, Aug 7, 5:18pm
I've been running a 2010 diesel Kia Sorento for the last 7 months, and it's a good sort of a thing. Tows (manual, rated 2500kg). Is really economical. Has a full size spare.
Probably entirely useless for actual off roading, but all in need is enough 4wd ability to tow a car trailer out of a paddock on a rainy day.

3tomany, Aug 7, 7:43pm
To replace a terrano i would say Prado or Pajero

bitsnpieces2020, Dec 11, 9:04am
Highlander