Rattle in diesel engine

pete_iam, Aug 31, 8:36pm
Have a 2014 Kia carens 1.7 TD. Bought this car with 117,000km at about 170,000km engine developed a rattle mostly audible at idle. Engine now done 290,000 km and rattle is has gotten louder but does not affect performance. No light on and does not smoke.
Seems to be much louder when engine is hot opposed to cold. But I thought noises usually reduce when hot as tolerances reduce when metal expands. Tried 5-30 and 15-40 oil don't seem to make any difference
Somebody once told me it's a combustion ping and that some have it and some dont, myself I think the timing chain has too much slack.
What do you think?

poppy62, Aug 31, 8:51pm
Valves clearances is where I'd start. A stethoscope (Supercheap autos) would be able to highlight where the noise is coming from. Timing chain could be due for renewal as well, the stethoscope would help assess the rattle. I'd put a can of Liqui-Moly MS02 in, it does really quieten down engines.

gph1961, Aug 31, 9:02pm
man/auto?

franc123, Aug 31, 9:15pm
Surely if the noise is consistently reproduceable a good going over with a stethoscope should pin point what the issue is. Peripheral components like drive belt tensioners, alternator clutches and even engine covers can create weird rattles on diesels. Worn injectors could also be responsible.

intrade, Sep 1, 7:57am
i was thinking 2 things reading. now one does not know what you hear and class as a rattle. and video "audio" recordings can be quite bad to try and make out a noise .
but 2 things came up in my head first was chain tensioner problem and then as per 2 valve clearance. manufacturer have gone back to cut cost to have fix valve adjustments and some makers sold new cars with incorrect valve clearance.
But we cant randomly guess . if its a manual then the noise could be your clutch system with dual mass causing a rattle noise.

poppy62, Sep 1, 8:56am
Nah mate! SCA sell them for $30.00.

franc123, Sep 1, 10:36am
I had an elusive noise in a ZD30 Nissan diesel once, my 300$ flashlight and 30$ stethoscope revealed it was the drivers brain rattling inside their skull.

tegretol, Nov 27, 12:13pm
Correct - I have a D40. But this can be easily fixed every 10km by resetting the ECU which somehow corrects the injector timing issues and makes it go very quiet again.