Noise

matarangi3, Aug 21, 11:19pm
Hi to all you mechanics out there,I have 2008 Hiace done a few kms and a
slight whine noise has developed in the back, I realise that it could be a number of things.It doesn't alter under acceleration or slowing its just constent.I can't determine whether it's a wheel bearing ,axle or diff problem.

desmodave, Aug 22, 7:57am
Jack up the rear end and see if you can feel any play in the wheels , then give them a spin . inspect the tires for any deformity's . Chock the front wheels and give it a run on axle stands if need be .Handy to have a helper on hand for another set of eyes and ears and some1 behind the wheel if you do end up running it while on stands .

marte, Aug 22, 9:23am
If you do a long veer to the left, so it puts more weight onto the right hand side of the vehicle, and the sound gets louder, it's quite possibly a right hand side wheel bearing.
Then on veering to the right, it will get quieter.
Driving with the right sides wheels on a painted line will also make it slightly quieter as its, again, the right side wheel bearings ( smoother road surface )

And vise veera for the other side.

cattleshed, Aug 22, 9:43am
Diff whine is often speed and no load related. Check that it has oil in the diff would be no. 1. How many kms?

msigg, Aug 22, 11:09am
Diff. Put it on axle stands and see where the noise is from. use a long tube to ear or stethoscope. Be careful. Don't get run over.

matarangi3, Aug 22, 10:02pm
Thanks for all your advice ,it's done 280,000 kms but still runs great the noise is constent even at low speed. I had an oil change a couple of months ago and asked them to check diff oil level and it was okay but I told them to change it hopeing it might make a difference but the noise was the same.It could be a tyre problem but they don't usually whine do they?

franc123, Aug 22, 10:10pm
Its possible but driving on different road surfaces should change the noise if its tyres.

toyboy3, Aug 23, 8:44am
Swap the tyres from front to the back and see if the noise changes

matarangi3, Aug 23, 8:53am
Okay I'll try changing tyres first.

desmodave, Dec 2, 9:42pm
Wouldn't a visual inspection take less time . Changing wheels around will not tell you the left rear wheel bearing is buggered . How old is the WOF