Electric cars are so much better. you was told.

Page 1 / 2
intrade, Mar 19, 5:34pm

bryshaw, Mar 19, 8:46pm

s_nz, Mar 19, 9:33pm
Video posted by intrude relates to the diagnostics of of a faulty Body Control Module in a Nissan Leaf.

Should note that a BCM is not a part that is specific to electric vehicle's.

"The BCM (Body Control Module) is the electronic control unit that monitors and controls all of the systems in the car body. Electric windows,A/C functions, electric mirrors,electric locks,security systems, etc. It communicates with all the other modules via the cars vehicle bus. It drives all the relays the control all the nice gadgets. As with all the vehicular modules it generates fault codes for problem diagnosis."

intrade, Mar 20, 10:53am
the point is the electric cars have problems just like ice, and electric problems are far larger and more expensive unlike a older ice car. ice= internal-combustion-engine. Living in lalaland does not change these facts.

tygertung, Mar 20, 2:59pm
Surely all there is, is a battery, motor controller and motor.

Probably less electronics than an internal combustion engine car where you have all the ecu, fuel injection system and ignition, plus all the cooling fan systems, and all the other sensors associated, like throttle position sensors, mass airflow meters, manifold absolute pressure sensors, crankshaft and camshaft position sensors, not to mention egr and variable valve timing, which may well be electronic.

harm_less, Mar 20, 2:59pm
So you're suggesting we should all be driving around in HQ Holdens and Morris Minors to avoid the risk of failure in these new-fangled cars with their computer controlled management systems. A bit of 'la-la land' going on with that recommendation!

tygertung, Mar 20, 4:28pm
What about an old Corolla or something? With points. Except the points ignition systems are way less reliable than electronic ignition.

apollo11, Mar 20, 5:21pm
Electric cars 'in theory' can be far more reliable than IC cars. If only they didn't insist on turning them into 'technological masterpieces'. I'd happily own a car without a gigaflop cpu in it, ten cameras and self driving etc if they could drop the price by five grand.

trade4us2, Mar 22, 1:08pm
What a stupid video.
As I keep telling people, when there are lots of faults when you wriggle the wiring, check the earthing of the BCM. There will be a broken solder joint. The computer is rebooting all the time. Just sold it up again, or better still, run a new earth wire, instead of the badly designed earthing system.

timberman, Apr 5, 11:08pm
Telsa has a very complicated heating &cooling system for the batteries
Too much to go wrong with it

marte, Apr 6, 3:42am
But new IC cars are the same in this regard. They might be getting better from now on but theres been a steep learning curve inc all the frailtys of it over the last 15 years.
Anything Euro is a potentially a disaster electrical wise if something goes wrong with it. But even worse, its not just the Euros that are like that. ( They just have a longer history of it, and this includes the engines and consider a Fiat, Renault or Peugeot vs VAG, Merc or BMW in reliability )

Im seriously considering getting a 2000-5 Commodore ' just because'.

nice_lady, Apr 6, 8:38am
No. He's saying the more computer etc control stuff on the vehicle the more the potential for problems and when they do arise they're often difficult to diagnose and expensive because of that.

It's an unfortunate result of that advancements in today's vehicles.

nice_lady, Apr 6, 8:47am
Case in point. The fuel tanker at Hubby's work. Took several visits from engineers and techs to finally figure out there was a bad earth wire. This was only diagnosed in the end by a tech hooking his computer into the tanker then getting it to talk to the tanker, then getting it to talk to another computer in Australia, (which apparently wasn't easy), and that finally enabled the tech to somehow diagnose the problem. This probably cost a few thousand dollars in visits by various engineers who attempted to fix the problem. Not to mention the P.I.T.A for the guys till it got fixed.

The thing is massively over engineered. Ok it IS a fuel tanker so it had to be very safe but over the years they'd added so much extra tech which didn't seem to be necessary before and adds major complications to repairs.

The same thing could be said for modern cars .

poppy62, Apr 6, 9:06am
As much as you rave on about the "Old" simple cars, there is no prospect of the car builders going back to "no/low" tech vehicles.

intrade, Apr 6, 9:56am
they Did and it sold like hotcakes, but then government legislators made all the crap compulsory like stability control. and all the other trash only people who cant drive would really need.
it was the Mk 1 Sandero Dacia from the renault groupe for 11000 nz $ euro 5 emission it was i ecu only rest all manual including no power steering. used 6 to 7 liter petrol.

intrade, Apr 6, 9:58am
i had high hopes the new Honda EV could be like the Dacia or the vw bug was once a low spec no frills car for people. but it dont looks to be.
They legislated low spec cars out. For a remote island like new zealand you really would need number 8 wire cars to be allowed at least.

-mung-, Apr 6, 12:18pm
My god, I read some faulty reasoning on the internet but this is ridiculous. EV's have fewer moving parts. End of story.

bill-robinson, Apr 6, 1:07pm
which means the parts move more and harder to cover the same distance.

-mung-, Apr 6, 1:11pm
Er. no? . Do you have an example in mind?

andrewcg53, Apr 6, 1:21pm
Not in reality they have just as many moving parts as a normal car if you remove the motors and electric motors fail just as regularly as a petrol motor but unlike a petrol motor you can't just replace 1 part on a electric motor you have to replace the whole motor and that can be thousands of dollars.

apollo11, Apr 6, 1:28pm
I'd have to disagree with this.

marte, Apr 6, 1:37pm
It would still be cheaper than a IC motor & a lot quicker. The reprogramming could take some time & i don't see that there would be anywhere near as many variations as there are IC engines, plus production amounts would be higher, leading to cheaper motors.

But with IC engines & electrical problems, decent self diagnosis systems would help a lot. Not 'after the fact' recording of vague interpretations of symptoms, but constant monitoring & comparison.

The Commodore ? They don't make them like they used to & they probably never will again. Now's the time to get in & get one.

harm_less, Apr 6, 2:23pm
Are you taking the p*ss? Do you have no understanding of the componentry and functioning of an internal combustion engine vs. that of the electric equivalent?

Or did you mean to say that 'ICEs have more parts that move more and harder to cover the same distance', which accounts for the 80% loss in energy from fossil fuels when converted into motion by an ICE.

apollo11, Apr 6, 2:48pm
Bill is trolling you.

Most energy is lost in IC due to heat losses, not friction.

bill-robinson, Apr 6, 3:19pm
what do you think moves a car along the road?