Head on crashes Electric cars

Page 1 / 2
kiwilandchch, Apr 7, 10:43pm
so what happens do i end up with some kind acid burns lol
will injuries in a head on with 2 electric cars be same or worse then that of two petrol cars in a head on.

emmerson1, Apr 7, 11:00pm
Interesting question. Electrics might be a bit heavier (more energy), and have less mass in front of you I.e. less protection. The batteries are protected, so a collision that is going to rip open the battery pack would mess you up pretty bad too.

I understand most battery fires happen some time after the crash, and need a pool-full of water to cool them down or burn them out.

apollo11, Apr 7, 11:34pm
Battery mass is low down- exceptional stability.
IC cars are ten times more likely to catch fire.
Better crumple zones at the front- no IC donk to design around.
A heavier vehicle is likely to do more damage to a lighter vehicle.

But it really boils down to the design of the vehicle which will determine how it will behave in a front on collision. There are videos on youboob showing crash tests of ev's.

gblack, Apr 8, 7:18am
Why do you think acid burns?

Not like any EVs built for the road use lead acid batteries.

tygertung, Apr 8, 1:14pm
Not sure why you are laughing about acid burns? Anyway, you probably won't get any acid burns, so no laughing matter.

laurelanne, Apr 8, 2:10pm
I would be more fearful of an electric car in an accident than a petrol car. I have seen what happens when sitting in an electric chair.

gunna-1, Apr 8, 2:25pm
If anything shorts out it would probably burn like a tyre yard on fire and pop and crackle alot.

apollo11, Apr 8, 2:42pm
I'd be more fearful of seventy kilos of accelerant in a fossil car.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/1qb8xb/an_average_of_152300_vehicles_catch_fire_in_the/

gunna-1, Apr 8, 3:00pm
Look at this one go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkPMts4DS3Y

just went on its own by the looks of it

kiwilandchch, Apr 8, 3:05pm
I was lol ing as thought my question mite come across as a bit of a silly question. but am interested to no. so not making light of acid burns.

gunna-1, Apr 8, 3:17pm
I dont know what kind of batteries they would have, they might be dry cell ones.

gammelvind, Apr 8, 4:38pm
This is an hilarious thread, I bet the argument was similar from when we changed over from horse and cart to the new fangled horseless carriage.

harm_less, Apr 8, 4:44pm
You're onto it. Sitting next to a tankful of petrol was so much more dangerous than copping the odd horse hoof but we seemed to accept it as normal pretty quickly. Same will apply to the risks presented by Li-Ion (or other to be yet developed) batteries and autonomous vehicles.

kiwilandchch, Apr 8, 6:00pm
Id love an E.V but no sweet F.A about them and the bank balance wont allow me to buy one just yet. Not shore whats hilarious about the thread . ?

gammelvind, Apr 8, 6:46pm
The bit I find hilarious is nothing to do with your question which is fair enough, but the ongoing negativity and outright witch-hunting from many members in this forum. Your post is simply one of many that are quickly converted to anti EV because we should all be petrol only heads. Some posts in this forum would fit well into the prosecution of the Salem witch trials.

tygertung, Apr 8, 7:38pm
Electric bikes are cheap enough and surely would count as an electric vehicle?

s_nz, Apr 9, 12:27am
All comes down to the model of car. They get crash tested the same as petrol cars. Here is the new VW i.d.3 for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smwk-H8xDuw

In general the heavy battery pack in the floor means they have greater stability / resistance to roll over. Dedicated platform EV's mean no stack under the bonnet, which means more crumple space. Petrol cars need to be designed to spit the engine out the bottom, or give up crumple space in a crash. Shared platform EV's (Leaf, Kona etc) have a stack of gear where the engine goes so no advantage.

Most EV's will isolate the main pack in the event of a crash, in case a cable or similar is damaged. That's why they still have little 12v batteries, so you have a few minuted of lights & horn use if in a crash bad enough to isolate the main pack.

The battery pack itself is armored, so unlikely to be damaged by a car on car crash. Also the armor to protect the battery pack in the event the car slides sideways into a pole means the car holds up well to this crash test.

If you say mount a median barrier, and pierce the pack, there is a risk of a fire. Generally much slower than a petrol fire, and typically vented away from the passenger compartment giving more time to escape. Other commenter is right. Once on fire they are a real pain to put out.

gunna-1, Apr 9, 8:50am
Tankfulls of petrol dont blow up like in the movies, a mate who burnt a car out 20 years ago somewhere that was just a thrash car i asked him how the petrol tank went, and he told me it just "farted" and didnt do much, now intank petrol pumps are a scary thing particularly older ones, i had an efi xf falcon and when i wrecked it for parts i pulled the fule pump out expecting it to be a well sealed system, nope, it had wires literally held on by nuts like a coil : ~ / there was no way in hell i was going to fit that to anything elce untill a mate explained to me that if a wire rattled loose and it sparked inside the tank it wouldn't catch fire without oxygen wich made sence, but still crazy dipping naked wires like that in fule.

apollo11, Apr 9, 12:47pm
Petrol doesn't explode. It's the vapour that's dangerous.

onl_148, Apr 9, 1:15pm
Several years ago I came across a YouTube video of a purpose built fire department vehicle that the Germans had built which was designed to cope with an EV that was having an battery fire. The truck was an open topped tank of water, which they "hiab'ed" the burning car into and submerged it and left it there for several hours !

gunna-1, Apr 9, 3:16pm
So some clapper with five bux in the tank should go boom then?.

tygertung, Apr 9, 6:07pm
I was working on my car at a panel shop when a guy was plasma cutting rust out of a boot. He smelt fuel and realised that he had cut into the fuel tank. It didn't blow up, due to insufficient oxygen in the tank.

socram, Apr 9, 6:20pm
With only about 3% of our vehicle fleet being EV, the chance of two colliding head on, seems somewhat academic - at the moment.

I'd be more worried at being in an ICE car and being in a head on with an EV, as they weigh so much more.

kiwilandchch, Apr 9, 6:34pm
maybe he should take the petrol cap off and try again ? lol sorry couldnt help myself

harm_less, Apr 9, 6:37pm
A Nissan Leaf weighs about 1,600kg so about 250kg more than a Mazda 3 or VW Golf. Small bananas and really only equivalent to a couple of passengers and a tank of fuel so not worth losing sleep over.