SUV

sld66, Oct 28, 3:45pm
Hi- I'm looking for a medium sized SUV- budget between $20-$25 K. Best options to look at in terms of safety, petrol consumption, smooth ride? Want automatic and don't want diesel. Any advice is appreciated.

msigg, Oct 28, 5:26pm
RAV 4 is the best out there, but yes do your research and do some test drives.

dutch9, Oct 29, 8:42am
Mitsubishi ASX ?

tamarillo, Oct 29, 9:07am
My favourite is 2.4 litre NZ new Honda CRV. Much higher spec and goodies and same great running gear as 2.4 accord.
Word of caution. Because they are higher with higher centre gravity to reduce roll and make them feel sporty they tend to have firmer suspension than the saloons they are based on. I had both can accord wagon and then a CRV and the ride and drive of the accord was far better, plus it was more economical.

3tomany, Oct 29, 9:28am
Escape, Rav 4, CRV, ASX are all good SUVs. From there it is up to the purchasers subjective view of which one they like.

sld66, Oct 29, 10:08am
Thanks guys. I've been looking at the ASX- there seems to be a lot out there. Will test drive some others and go from there.

tamarillo, Oct 29, 10:35am
ASX great value but old design, just titillated to look fresh. But great value.

kazbanz, Oct 29, 11:14am
My advice is not to buy an SUV unless you actually need one.
This not intended as an attack just simply that unless needed for off road use there are a number of other options that are a lot better bang for buck.
in terms of what your dollar buys up front ,running costs and maintainence costs. That doesn't even take into concideration that interior space for an SUV tends to be pretty poor given the overall size of the vehicle.
That said My choice would be the 2.4l Toyota Rav 4 as a softroader.

cjohnw, Oct 29, 12:47pm
+100
Kaz, I only wish you had posted this advice a few years back.
Before I went out and bought a brand new SUV, just because everyone else was and they were selling like hot cakes.
Within a month I realised what I had done.
Put up with it for 12 months then flicked if off at a great loss of $$$.
Never looked at one since.

kazbanz, Oct 29, 1:13pm
I do regularly post questioning the need for an SUV

cjohnw, Oct 29, 1:22pm
Yes, I absolutely acknowledge that.
My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek and self admonishing.
But regret is a wasted emotion.

gollycolly, Oct 29, 2:28pm
I have had a SUV for 2.5 years and have never regretted buying it. We are both in our 80s and find it much easier than a car for getting in and out of. Notice a big difference when going into friends cars.

tamarillo, Oct 29, 3:22pm
Subaru Forester worth a look too. Arguably the best ride and comfort of the lot and well loved.

glang, Oct 29, 4:26pm
If you can spend a little extra you can get yourself a brand new Kia Seltos. Their base Seltos model is the LX retails at $27990 + ORC, it may be the base model but has heaps of features. I've got one and it's a great vehicle, and very economical and runs on 91. Read a few road tests on it - it always outrates the ASX in comparison testing.

socram, Oct 30, 9:18am
Depends very much on whether or not you are just wanting a vehicle or you want one you actually enjoy driving.

If the latter, you have to try first, as no amount of comment from the wise souls on here is going to sway you. Most would totally disagree with my preferences, and we've been SUV users for the last 18 years. We are on our 5th, but all bar the first have been bought brand new and looked after.

Never regretted buying one, considering a huge amount of towing with a car transporter trailer and we prefer the commanding driving position. Zero mechanical problems on all bar the first (steering issue) which convinced us that buying an ex demo model was a gamble, so never again.

I do agree though, that the worst aspect is the luggage capacity, especially if 4 of you travelling, but they aren't as long as a decent station wagon either.

Economy for most 2 litres with a turbo is surprisingly good.

I don't think that many moderns are unreliable, but if buying second-hand, much depends on how careful the previous owner/owners are/were.

sld66, Oct 30, 11:04am
I do prefer being higher up as I suffer badly from car sickness and find this helps. Other than that, I guess it is just a fashion thing as no off road driving needed.

sld66, Oct 30, 11:05am
socram wrote:
Depends very much on whether or not you are just wanting a vehicle or you want one you actually enjoy driving.

If the latter, you have to try first, as no amount of comment from the wise souls on here is going to sway you. Most would totally disagree with my preferences, and we've been SUV users for the last 18 years. We are on our 5th, but all bar the first have been bought brand new and looked after.

Never regretted buying one, considering a huge amount of towing with a car transporter trailer and we prefer the commanding driving position. Zero mechanical problems on all bar the first (steering issue) which convinced us that buying an ex demo model was a gamble, so never again.

I do agree though, that the worst aspect is the luggage capacity, especially if 4 of you travelling, but they aren't as long as a decent station wagon either.

Economy for most 2 litres with a turbo is surprisingly good.

I don't think that many moderns are unreliable, but if buying second-hand, much depends on how careful the previous owner/owners are/were.

What do you drive socram?]

bazfan, Oct 30, 7:19pm
Would recommend an Outlander. It will be cheaper than the CRV and the Rav 4 and has a bigger boot capacity. It is admittedly crap to drive but is fairly economical with the CVT transmission

s_nz, Oct 30, 9:01pm
Regarding car sickness, research indicates that the drivers for this vary significantly between individuals. Even something like the smell or vibartion of a vehicle can be a trigger. Some people find softer suspension (smoother over bumps better), other's find stiff suspension (less floaty feeling & body roll in cornders) better. Some people find SUV's a lot worse than cars, clearly you don't. I don't normally have issues with it, but when I was riding in older new york taxi's (advertising covered security partions 400mm in front of my face, so could only see out the sides of the vehicles).

Suggest you take several test rides (you are less likely to feel any motion related issues if you drive) to see what you like.

Regarding fashion, There are large numbers of SUV's available to cater to this taste. Most of them are built on the same platfrom as sedans & hatchbacks, and other than a few cm extra ground clearance, bigger wheels & tires, and black trim at the bottom of the doors & around wheel arches are essentially. Generally the tires cost a bit more, and they use a touch more fuel due to bigger frontal area, but otherwise are similar in terms of cost of ownership to sedans & hatchbacks on the same platforms. Many are available in 2wd as well to keep costs down & efficiency up.

Everything that has been suggested so far is a "soft" crossover SUV, rather than a body on frame, low range, off road style suv.

Not so fashionable, and way cheaper than your budget, but you could consider the Toyota Porte / Spade. It's a hatchback, but has quite a high seating position & a massive glasshouse, so headroom and visibility out is great compaired to most modern SUV's. Passengers seat can also be moved a long way back from the dashboard. Could be great if poor visibility / low head room are triggers.

Could also try an electric car (Leaf?) or the out-lander Plug in hybrid mentioned above to see if getting rid of vibrations helps. (not that the Lexus I suggested would have noticeable vibration anyway).

socram, Oct 30, 1:58am
Lets just say we started off with a Mk 1 Freelander with the 1800cc K Series petrol motor. Then onto TD4 diesel Freelanders and Range Rover Evoque diesel. Gone back to petrol in 2018 but still the same underpinnings.

I like the way they drive, and tow, but step daughter is on her second RAV4 but I wouldn't swap. Of the other SUV's I have driven, from Lexus, Jeep (2 models), Mitsubishi, NIssan etc, I still wouldn't swap.