Vee belt question.

kenw1, Feb 19, 7:55pm
Can a Vee belt shrink? Have one and its much tighter than it should be, its old for sure, when measured the outer is 55 3/4": and the specs say it should be 57".

Just wondering

pettal, Feb 19, 8:49pm
different manufacturers seem to measure slightly different , so i have been told .

tygertung, Feb 20, 9:15am
Are you measuring the outside of the belt, or the inside, the outside will be longer.

gusthe1, Feb 20, 9:25am
My trouser belts have shrunk so maybe it's the same issue

kazbanz, Feb 20, 10:25am
Simple answer--NO
Longer answer-There will be variations caused by temperature but not that sort of variation
Think about what they are made of ie yea "rubber" but the actual belt material doing the work

intrade, Feb 20, 11:15am
i recon its possible it would likely also be hard? try bend it and look for cracks.
Diesel pump o ring seals shrink . and some v belts i know strech and strech till you reach the adjustment limmit . its why i only buy bosch dayco or gates belts

tygertung, Feb 20, 12:41pm
They are probably made of nylon or polyester fibres with rubber for grip.

realtrader1, Feb 20, 7:30pm
Usually EPDM with reinforcing

kenw1, Feb 22, 1:56pm
Thanks for the replies, I really couldnt see how on earth it could shrink, but the world is becoming stranger.

So that explains why the B****** mower would never allow the blade to come to a stop and the B******* lining on the mower blade brake has worn out.

Going to try and get the correct new belt tomorrow.

intrade, Feb 26, 10:22am
you could soak the belt in old engine oil that should potentially grow it again.

martin11, Feb 26, 11:18am
And make it slip ,

tygertung, Feb 26, 8:14pm
I don't think so, because it is the fibres which decide the length, not the rubber.

m16d, Feb 26, 9:28pm
Good thinking 99. the world needs more people like you.

gph1961, Sep 8, 11:41pm
see what happens when meds are changed