Interesting article on Ferrari F40

budgel, Jul 21, 4:55pm

oramac, Jul 21, 6:14pm
I would agree with Gordon Murray. The welding on the one I had a look at was absolute crap.

tamarillo, Jul 21, 6:17pm
Last line sums it up. Build Quality wasn’t a requirement.

tgray, Jul 22, 8:50am
There'a a famous pic of David Gilmor and Nic Mason from Pink Floyd posing next to their identical brand new red F40's as they were about to personally drive them back from Italy to the UK.
What a road trip that would have been.

bill-robinson, Jul 22, 9:39am
have done that in a 308 and a mondial. good fun

sw20, Jul 22, 11:30am
Would be my first purchase if I won the Powerball.

reb53, Jul 24, 3:06pm
Harry Metcalfe, from "Harry's Garage" on Youtube has a slightly different take on the F40.
"Give me an F50 any time".
Go 7 and a half minutes into this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4epQvqkmvBk
and he's asked what his greatest disappointment has been of all the exotic cars he's either owned, or driven.
"I know it's heresy, but the F40",
and then lists the reasons.

sw20, Jul 24, 4:22pm
To be fair, if you can afford an F40, you can probably afford a F50 as well.

richardmayes, Jul 30, 3:23pm
Chris Harris recons he would take an F40 over an F50:

https://youtu.be/3MDTcXGsjuo

If I had to choose, I would probably look longingly at an F40 for a long time, then walk away and get myself an F50 and be happy. a manual f1 v12 would do me very nicely, all the extra boost and power in the F40 would only trip me up, not make me any faster.

Hard though, F40 was *the* fast car of my childhood in the 80s.

mcfc11, Jul 30, 4:09pm
A bit like Tesla then!

mcfc11, Jul 30, 4:29pm
It's about build quality is it not and not a geography lesson.

mcfc11, Jul 31, 4:27pm
Tesla is one of the worst built cars around. Not much pride taken there then.

sw20, Jul 31, 4:47pm
Tesla made in the Fremont plant in California. After they stopped making the AE82 Corolla there in the mid 1980s they turned out the lights.

gunhand, Jul 31, 5:36pm
When I had my F40 I had to paint all the door shut areas, bonnet shuts, inner front guards that were hidden by the, eer, boot, and a few other areas. There was literately no paint on theses areas, just primer. Once I was happy, I could then put it on the shelf.

mcfc11, Jul 31, 5:48pm
Here is one to be going on with. I can give you more if you want!

https://electrek.co/2020/06/16/tesla-model-y-quality-issues/

richardmayes, Jul 31, 6:20pm
Oh I see. My F40 fits on a shelf also. I bought mine when I was about 12 years old, it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.

richardmayes, Jul 31, 6:23pm
Mrs Mayes the sparky says Italy has a 240v mains system so made in Italy incandescent bulbs have an awesome lifespan here in NZ on 230v. Obviously this isn't the reason people buy "made in Italy" fittings.

gunhand, Jul 31, 6:26pm
It was one of the first Bburago 1/18 die cast models Id seen. Weren't many die casts in that size and detail around then. Now you can get just about any model of car you want. I had a collection of about 80 or so. I kick my self now because some of the ones I had ( since sold) are worth a fortune.

mcfc11, Jul 31, 7:57pm
Yes and to be honest I loved the drive. It was a Tesla S and the build quality looked ok to me.

mcfc11, Jul 31, 8:09pm
It is without doubt the fastest car I have ever driven. Yes the torque is just insane.

elect70, Aug 1, 6:23pm
There was a beautifull replica made in Nz used the Lexus V8 & twin turbo , he planned on putting it into very limited production but never took off . Wonder what happened to the origonal , it was well made fit & finish excellent looked just like the real thing

sw20, Dec 14, 11:07am
Ferrari/Fiat would have put a stop to any business making replicas.