Toyota 3S-FE & The D4 version.Which Is Best?

ema1, May 10, 3:36am
I see in some Toyota Corona's around 1997-2000 listed with the 3S-FE 2litre and others with a D4 2litre.
What's the difference and which is the better engine!
I haven't had anything to do with this late model stuff that's why I'm asking!

rojakell, May 10, 3:50am
Don't touch the D4. Seriously. Toyota should never have relesed these into a market that cannot support them.

_peas, May 10, 4:22am
+1. heard shocker stories about these.The fuel pumps tended to give out from (a fairly hazy) memory.

pollymay, May 10, 4:27am
3sfe all the way, those engines are stupid reliable as long as they have oil. The valve stem seals might of been revised by 97 which was the downfall of a lot of petrol early 90's yota motors

phillip.weston, May 10, 5:00am
x1
basically D4 is Toyota's (licenced) version of Mitsubishi's GDI.

ema1, May 10, 5:33am
Duly noted and "warned" the earlier 3S-FE up to 1996 or so is the one to go for rather than the latest 3S-FSE (D4) Thanks for that info.
I had heard a whisper actually and wondered, good job I asked. Thanks all.

ema1, May 10, 5:33am
Duly noted and "warned" the earlier 3S-FE is the one to go for rather than the 3S-FSE (D4) Thanks for that info.

noswalg, May 10, 7:27am
a toyota mechanic steered me away from a D4, he reckons they are a dog! my 94 3S FE runabout is still going strong at 270000kms it does a 100km round trip to work each day and never misses a beat! I want to buy a ute but kinda want to drive the corona till it dies to see how far it'll go, what to do what to do!

ema1, May 10, 7:40am
I did have a Corona 1991 with the 3S-F carby engine and it had 327,000km on it when I sold it a couple of years ago.
It still had a ton of power and never needed oil added between 5000km oil changes, never missed a beat when I had it, a neighbor bought it off me and has piled on the kms and he's told me it just keeps on going with absolutely no dramas at all.
It's getting near to 400,000kms now.

savanna71, May 10, 8:58am
Where did you get that information!as far as im aware there hasnt been a joint venture in GDI engine technology betweenToyota and MMC.

savanna71, May 10, 9:33am
not quite understanding what your saying, that its an unlicensed copy or that you believe its licensed!

phillip.weston, May 10, 9:57am
Ok apon some digging maybe Toyota isn't among the bunch of companies who licenced GDI, but other makers such as PSA Peugeot Citroen, Hyundai and Volvo did.

ema1, May 10, 10:13am
Thanks Fish, that informs me rather well.
I'm a believer in."If in doub't, don't be scared to ask." You could be saving yourself a lot of strife in the long run.
I was in the motor trade for neigh on 15 or so years up to 24 years ago and have got to know the vagaries of the makes from back then up to say 1995-1998 but like to "pick the brains" so to speak of the "guru's" on here on the more modern stuff for a good grounding in what is and isn't good . wisemove I feel!

utwo, May 13, 9:01am
Are the newer Toyota D4s any better! e.g. 2005 Toyota Caldina with the 1AZ-FSE engine!

audi_s_ate, May 13, 7:05pm
We have a 95 NZ new corona with the 3sfe and does a 130km round trip everyday. Not an exciting car to drive at all but utterly reliable and the price that they are now you dont even have depreciation as a factor to purchase one. Average 7.3l/100km which is acceptable seeing as it is an auto. It is going to be a hard car to sell when it gets to that stage thats for sure.

It seems that toyota's of late have lost the trusted "go forever" image. Especially the newer diesels and direct injection engines. Problem is most of the new mid size cars have this kind of tech. Esp jap imports

rojakell, May 13, 8:10pm
I imagine if you run it solely on 98 and keep up with factory servicing of fuel system ($$$) then yes, perhaps they may have rectified the problems. Chances are not good though, they are designed to run on 100+ in Japan

owen, Oct 4, 5:27am
My old mostly trouble-free '86 Camry with the 3SFE engine had 286,000kms on it when I handed it on to a family member a couple of years ago. He has now handed it on to someone else - still going strong.
I understand there are few (if any) manuals for the D-4 engines in NZ and would never touch one.