Toyota 3S-FSE missing

Page 1 / 2
gammelvind, Mar 30, 6:53am
I have a 98 Toyota Nadia 110,000km, with a D4 3S-FSE very happy with the car, recently replaced plugs cambelt water pump etc. I had hoped this would fix the persistant miss that occurs during the ECO phase of running (green light on), no such luck.
Running it on 98 octane fuel, giving it a hard run does help a little but only for a matter of a day or so then the miss is back when on a very light throttle. Any suggestions as to a cure!

pollymay, Mar 30, 7:00am
What colour were the plugs! Sounds like it might be a fuel issue. Although with those direct injected things it's not as straight forward. I'd maybe look at the fuel filter and such for a start.

The other thing is pull the engine codes, it might tell you it's just a coolant temp sensor, TPS or something

gammelvind, Mar 30, 7:07am
The plugs were a little dirty, but not bad for 100,000km Pulling codes is not something I am familier with, understand the principle just don't know how. I come fom the days of vacuum ballancing twin carbys lol.

pollymay, Mar 30, 7:09am
Basically it will need a scan to pull the ECU error codes. Older cars could do it with a paperclip. Newer ones not so much, a dealer can do it. They will more than likely try to upsell you to fixing it at their shop but you can just ask for a scan.

gadgit3, Mar 30, 8:20pm
More likley to be a carbon issue. When the engine goes into ECO mode it pulles off a very learn burn. something like 17.8-1 so it has a tendincy to hunt or surge during this time and a there is an amount of surge that is normal under ECO but carbon build up in the inlet mainfold from the EGR system will cause the surge to be more agressive.
Also the air fuel ratio sensor in the exhaust manifold could be on the blink this also causes the same agressive surge.

n3d4sp3d, Mar 30, 8:35pm
if it hunting when going into lean mode it could be o2 sensor playing up making the ECU alter the mix to get it right

gadgit3, Mar 30, 8:41pm
Yea in the case of the 3S-FSE it's a air fuel ratio sensor. The o2 sensor is fitted after the cat converter just to sense if the cat is doing it's job or not.

gammelvind, Mar 30, 8:45pm
It's more of a miss than surge, I thought new plugs would fix the problem as that is what it feels like. Then again that could just be semantics, one mans miss is anothers surge.

gadgit3, Mar 30, 10:05pm
x1
Yea when you say a good hard run makes it better for a day or so kinda makes me lean toward the carbon issue as it is a common one. But without driving the car I couldn't rule out an electrical miss

gammelvind, Mar 31, 6:52am
Would dismantling and cleaning the throttle body help, I know it made a huge difference to my Lucida.

gadgit3, Mar 31, 7:28am
You could give it a go but the carbon tends to build up in the inlet tracks rather then round the throttle plate and idle ports.
I have done a few and it's normally a good 4-5 hours work. pulling the inlet manifold off and cleaning it as well as the the ports and around the valves (what you can get to).

n3d4sp3d, Mar 31, 10:42pm
without being ignorant are the correct plugs fitted I work at mitsi dealership and the GDI's miss like crazy when incorrect plugs fitted.

steve98h, Apr 3, 6:09am
blocked cat converter!

gammelvind, Apr 3, 6:48am
I must ask, had a local garage install them, while they were doing the cambelt etc. Takes a couple of hours to get the manifold etc etc off in order to get to the plugs, prick of a design.

gammelvind, Apr 3, 6:49am
Wouldn't that miss right throughthe rev range, rather than just on the eco stage!

zephyrheaven, Apr 3, 6:51am
seafoam worked in one for me - was a corona same engine etc

gammelvind, Apr 3, 7:22am
Seafoam! Having visions of a trip in the surf lol

zephyrheaven, Apr 3, 7:44am
Wouldnt hurt lol
http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray.html
Someone on here selling it now too, I got mine from BNT

gammelvind, Apr 3, 8:22am
Well that looks an interesting option to try, just checked the website.

zephyrheaven, Apr 3, 8:23am
Subaru used to & maybe still do make their own version, works ok

timmo1, Apr 3, 8:55pm
Errr you sure! I didn't think the Corona was new enough to get the FSE, just the FE/GE engines.

gadgit3, Apr 3, 9:21pm
Corona/Preimo 97-2000 had the D4 engine fitted

redbluecod, Apr 4, 4:52am
HT leads have to much resistance

gadgit3, Apr 4, 5:07am
The 3S-FSE dosnt have HT leads. Direct spark coils.

zephyrheaven, Apr 4, 6:25am
Err
Yeah it was