Boat question, Haines V198

xc-coon, Apr 22, 9:23am
Has anyone ever owned or had experience with a Haines Hunter V198 that has the outboard mounted on an external 'pod' off the back of the hull (with platform on either side) rather than the outboard mounted in between the 2 rear seats on the transom!I like the idea of having more room in the boat and am interested in others opinions. Does the hull plane quicker! Any other advantages besides more space in the boat! Disadvantages!

skin1235, Apr 22, 10:12am
never had a haines as you ask but the concept of that 'pod and the engine further back shifts the balance of the boat further forward, plus the hull is extended also, which all helps to lower plane speed ie get to plane attitude quicker

if any disadvantage it would be the extra weight and the motor further back will make the back sit a little lower while not motoring, but on a haines thats not going to be an issue

ntalke, Apr 22, 8:05pm
You will be very limited with genuine replies here

Go herehttp://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/

Plenty of experience here

dr.doolittle, Apr 22, 8:29pm
I have a Fleetline 533 with a pod mounted Yamaha 90hp.
Just check the height of the cavitation plate (anti-ventilation plate for the fussy) as I understand for every 300mm further back from the transom the motor is, the cav plate should/could be a further 30mm higher than the bottom of the keel.
The internet is covered in info & opinions on this.
I like the idea of extra space so I'm happy with the concept.
The only concerns I would have is to make sure the transom is strong enough to cope with the extra leverage of the motor at rest.
Dont let the idea put you off.

dr.doolittle, Apr 22, 8:37pm
x1
Something to think about.
Most new outboards now only come in a 25" leg as opposed to 20".
This means if you buybrand new motor it will be easier to raise it on a pod rather than having to build-up the transom.
Also look at new boat design. Most now have pod mounted motors.

bwg11, Apr 22, 9:41pm
I have had a lot of experience with the V198. They are an exceptionally good boat and would be hard to improve by fitting a pod. Fitting a pod may help a boat with inherent design issues, but in my opinion the V198 would be hard to improve.

dr.doolittle, Apr 23, 12:18am
I just had a quick look at the ones for sale here & quiet a few(most) have pod mounted outboards.

quickstitch, Apr 23, 3:12am
i worked on haines hunters for 22 years, great boats. i Know a few people put those stern extensions on, was told they were an improvement.

martin11, Apr 23, 3:31am
easier and cheaper to fit trim tabs to haines boats , less load on the transom

xc-coon, Apr 27, 6:32am
THanks for the advice. So its my understanding then that the extension is an "after" addition to the facory hull! I guess the best option is to sea trial first. Happy to pay good money for a good rig. Just trying to sell my haines signatureat the mo.

rsr72, Apr 27, 7:14am
One of the best hulls for NZ conditions.

easygoer, Apr 27, 9:02am
If the main advantage is extra room in the boat why not start with the bigger boat, an advantage with this is the extra beam that goes with the extra length

xc-coon, Apr 28, 4:20am
Good point, easy answer though, I basically have made up my mind I want a 198. I ve had experience using one but not one with an extension on the transom. hence the thread. I like the stigma attached to an older hull that has stood the test of time but with a good late model outboard. Basically keen on a mint hull , good trailer and matching out board 175-200hp. 25 - 28k! I dont want a doer upper. Living in the bay of islands the potential for it is endless. Three kids under 9, lots of island hopping diving and fishing.I have considered other hulls the same age, lotus, Sea nymph, buccaneer, reflex, morgan but seem to come back to the 198. The 535 has caught my eye several times but everyone up here seems to have one and really I'm keen on something older just to be different! Bit like an XE 351 ESP vs a BA XR8.haha

guest, Oct 29, 8:59am
x1
i had a 1987 V198 transom mounted 225hp Johnson. Fantastic in white cap seas it carved through the chop better than any other 6m that I have been out on. I sold it in 2000 and have bought several other different latter model brands since. I have had seven newer boats but I have never been happy with any of them including alloy so I recently purchased another1990 Haines V198 Inboard/outboard Volvo Penta 350 chev V8. I just love it and it is best 6m in rough seas that i have ever travelled on. If you drive them correctly by trimming the outboard or stern drive in and use the bow and Vee to plough and carve the sea like no other.One thing to watch out for as these boats are getting older. They get soft at the rare on the floor deck. The wood gets rotten due to condensation inside the bouency tanks. Its not the end of the world as this can be replaced/repaired quit easily. The stringers are a top hat design and are hollow glass except for the two inner ones. They are unlikely to be a problem. Provided the transom hasn't been left with open holes where the water can penetrate it should be good. Tap it with a socket extension and listen for dead spots. Even a transom can be replaced relatively easily so don't let that put you off if you can negotiate it for the right price. It can be fixed. Some people love to drill screw holes in boats and this quite often compromises the bouency tank seal so get your local glass company to go over her and seal them up again. It is worth the effort.
In my opinion the V198 hulls have truly superior sea handling to any other 6m or less size boat even on the water today. Some of the latter inboard/outboard hulls had pod extensions fitted to the transom for outboard installations .These were factory fitted for a run out sale near the end of there manufacture. It was quite succesful and improved the performance particularly top speed.