Paint touchup question

Page 2 / 2
attitudedesignz, Jan 26, 8:53am
You'd have to be 'top gun' to get an off the gun finish first time tho' wouldn't ya.

gunhand, Jan 26, 8:58am
Yea I tend to find first wet coat never looks as good as the second. But there are a few clears out there for just this purpose. One dust and One wet. gone.

morrisman1, Jan 26, 9:28am
Here it is polished. You can see theres a slight difference in colour between the door and rear quarter but only someone looking for it will see it. Yes I know theres a small dent there, should have circled it cos I forgot it was there till the paint was going on!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/morrisman1/_MG_4611sml_zps6ddbc7e9.jpg

morrisman1, Jan 26, 9:36am
What I didn't do was the tack coat technique with the clear. Will definitely do that when I do the roof and bonnet. When spraying, should the fan be wide or narrow?

gunhand, Jan 27, 4:05am
Looks pretty bloody good to me.
The fan should be wide for base coat, I keep it same for clear, some may narrow it but that will deliver more product to the surface.
The other reason I do a tack coat is to help eliminate any issue that can occur, like waxing etc. I find a dust coat helps a lot.

petermcg, Jan 27, 4:28am
What paint to use depends a lot on what paint is on the car now. Presumably it is a reasonably modern car and well worn paint. I suggest go to wrens and get 1 litre of Lacquer, and 1 litre of clear, Lacquer, or in the old days we called it Dulon, is what you can use for a touch up as it will blend in over a panel or to an edge. You cant do this with enamel paint. You will also need some 2 way thinners. Laquer is thinned down at least 1 to 1 and you will need at least 6 coats, it can also be sanded between coats, it is the most forgiving, you only need to prepare the panels with cutting compound before spraying, and then cut and buff before the clear goes on.

attitudedesignz, Jan 27, 4:46am
I'm sorry but in my opinion there is so much "bad" info in this statement.

morrisman1, Jan 28, 8:40am
A couple more pics, with the roof and bonnet done, and rear bumper too. Once again not show-car finish. Im still getting the hang of the clear coat spraying. The issue the first time was a gun blockage I found, the tip had some primer in it so it wasn't full flow. Much better once I cleaned it out. Learning - gotta start somewhere!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/morrisman1/IMG_4615_zps91e9030e.jpg http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/morrisman1/IMG_4622_zps1c3545e9.jpg

gammelvind, Jan 28, 8:49am
I sell Dulon and I'm clenching my teeth as well lol.

gmphil, Jan 28, 8:54am
i no expert ,mate is painter he does mine he uses swatches i think thats wot he calls them. they all help match how many base coats helps to match other fella be able tell u more on this

gunhand, Jan 28, 9:12am
Your doin well by the looks of it mate.
Its not cheap thing to experiment with these days but good on ya.
Yea, clean clean and clean again lol. Do you use a filter in the gun? if so biff it and use paper strainers, cheap as chips for 50 or so.
When I'm finished with guns I take the fluid cap off put clean gunwash/thinner in the paint bowl and leave there till next time.

morrisman1, Jan 28, 9:20am
I dont think its got a filter Mark, its just an AMX cheapie. I got it when I worked at hayes. I always clean the gun out so Im not sure why it got that build up, but now I know to check.

gunhand, Jan 28, 9:27am
Its a learning curve, you use and clean ya gun for a week full time then pull it apart, you will be surprised what can accumulate in there if not cleaned properly. It restricts flow causes poor spray pattern and so on. Most painters guns cost between 300 to 1000 bucks so we keep em clean. attitude uses an ell cheapo I think, don't knock them they can do a good job in the right hands. And don't think paint from the can can't have lumps in it. it can.
Oh, the filter is a wee plastic thing that sits in the top of the gun neck (gravity feed) and the paint flows through them, there ok for one use really. if that.

attitudedesignz, Jan 28, 7:07pm
I like my cheap guns but I guess I'm used to them now lol

A rep had some on sale the other day so bought another el cheapo. $122 (inc gst) in a case with a 1.4 and a 1.7 set up, also splashed out and bought 3 new stainless bowls.
One for the new gun, and two to replace the stainless cups I have.

I HATE plastic bowls.

gammelvind, Jan 29, 6:06am
Have you seen the new entry level Sata, part of the startline series. Only $400 and available in 1.3 and 1.8. It's a nice simple gun no digital this and fancy that.

morrisman1, Jan 29, 6:29am
A while back I had a question about a big dent in a isuzu, anyway, fixed by drilling a whole bunch of holes and using a slide hammer to pull out, then about 5-10mm bog to get the curve right. It came up real mint. Primered and ready for some colour but I think this stuff is rattle can from what I understand he already has. Can you put 2k clear over the rattle can base coat?

Another question, if a paint is 4:1 mixing ratio, how sensitive is it? I always aim to get bang on 4:1, but my mixing cups seem to be a little out and I always run out of hardener first (have about 100ml of a 1L bottle of clear left over with no hardener for it now). I was wondering whether I could aim for maybe 3.5:1 to ensure I have enough hardener.

attitudedesignz, Jan 29, 6:40am
Give the rattle can paint a good amount of 'dry' time and ya shouldn't have any drama whacking on some 2 pack clear.

It's advised to be accurate with ya measurements BUT i never am, i use empty baked bean etc cans and it's hard to see the stick in there so i kinda get it right and "touch wood" i've not had any prob's mate.

gunhand, Jan 29, 6:42am
Yea, can't see any reason why not to put clear over it, i'd wait a good while before doing it though to make sure all thinners have evaporated first. Is that stuff in a can made for single pak clears I guess. Wouldn't be first time 2k clear was put over that kinda base coat.
As for your mixing ratio, yes try and get it as close as possable, they recommend the ratios for a very good reason. What sort and where did you get the cups from? Remember anything with a measure on it will work. A steal ruler etc. As long as the tin you use is not tapered of course. You can buy the measuring sticks if you want.
I'm as meticulous as I can be mixing product but for some reason I always run out of hardener for primer. It only takes a few mills over each time for it to happen. and some who just splash a bit in and she'll be right don't help

attitudedesignz, Jan 29, 6:49am
Glad it's not just me then haha

lookoutas, Jan 29, 9:50am
So the bog has some holes to cling to!

morrisman1, Jul 17, 12:10am
yea, hate using bog like that but the only other option would be cutting a good panel out of a wrecked one and that would be far more work than the piece of crap is worth. At least I didnt fill the whole dent with bog!