Help! 1999 3L R50 Terrano Rear brakes not balanced

realtrader1, Mar 18, 6:25am
Hope someone can help. My son was rejected for a wof. The handbrake was NOT rejected for either side. The right rear is recorded as 130 and left rear is 200. The shoes and cylinders on both sides are excellent ie lining material like new, no leaks and double acting pistons work freely. Drums are in excellent condition and there is nothing that is preventing good friction. All the same will adjust, use some wet n dry and brake cleaner. So, essentially have not found the problem. Could it be the ABS that needs to be reset? How is that done? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

intrade, Mar 18, 6:29am
no i would start with exchange of the brake fluid . it should be exchanged every 24 month anyhow.

nzdoug, Mar 18, 6:30am
tire pressure is the most obvious and most overlooked.

kazbanz, Mar 18, 6:37am
beyond your initial ideas Try the simple trick of swapping the actual drums left to right

mechnificent, Mar 18, 6:39am
Yup. swap the drums side for side. and adjust the brakes manually. The auto adjusters get sticky and don't always work.

panicky, Mar 18, 6:54am
check the cylinders are the same bore size left and right

nzmax, Mar 18, 7:25am
Had the same issue with my Laurel, near new shoes, drums looked good also. Tried adjusting manually, but still not balanced on the machine. Wof inspector suggested swapping the drums, recheck had balance nearly perfect.

xs1100, Mar 18, 8:08am
take your drums into Autostop and get them machined

xs1100, Mar 18, 8:08am
cheap as chips

loud_37, Mar 18, 8:27am
I had the same issue once with a car that didn't get driven a lot, just took the car for a drive and did a bit of hard braking for awhile, went back for wof and passed with no issues.

pdc1, Mar 18, 9:18am
Mines always done this too. I??

realtrader1, Apr 23, 11:53pm
Well, the Terrano went through with no issues having been dusted, sanded, bled and adjusted so thanks everyone!