Suggestions for a new car?

Page 1 / 2
lil_miss_moo, Nov 4, 10:56pm
Just got back from travelling overseas, and I am looking for a new ride! Wanted to know anyones thoughts on what kinda car they would buy. What I am looking for is a sporty sedan, 2L - 3L (I like to go for drives around the port-hills so I want something with good power / acceleration and enjoyable to drive) either tiptronic or manual, odometer under 250K and under $4 grand. What caught my eye originally was the Toyota Altezzas (R200) 1999 but I think they were getting out of my price range from what I saw of the listings on trade me!

Any help would be appreciated! :)

mals69, Nov 4, 11:05pm
Yep wont get an altezza for 4k - Nissan Skyline or Honda Prelude - both reliable and have the grunt.

kazbanz, Nov 4, 11:06pm
if you have an under 4k budget then the specifics of make/model are probably not be my primary concern. I would be more concerned that the specific car is mechanically sound.

mals69, Nov 4, 11:08pm
Yeah +1 and 250,000km to high - 150,000 max

jokerboss, Nov 4, 11:20pm
Deisel VW I reckon the price just got better on those

lil_miss_moo, Nov 4, 11:33pm
Thanks guys, I did have a look on the Nissan Skylines and the Honda Preludes but I think I have my heart set on the Toyota Altezza. :| It looks like a nice tidy car, I guess I will just have to penny pinch and save up my coins! I have seen a couple on dollar reserve so I was hoping to snag one for the price of 4.5k but I didn't want to go any higher than 5. if so it'll have to be put on my wish list when I have more coin in my pocket :)

vtecintegra, Nov 4, 11:35pm
Except it's not a sedan.

Altezzas are overpriced considering how dated they are - they were a good car when they were released but that was a long, long time ago now

e. You are going to have to spend money to keep any car in that price range going, especially something somewhat sporty. Don't spend all available cash on the purchase

lil_miss_moo, Nov 5, 12:12am
It doesn't HAVE to be sedan, this is just my preference. I am open to all suggestions! I am new to the market of buying cars and wanted something that was sporty and fun to drive.

Hmm, yeah that was my other concern was the upkeep but I didn't think it should be toooo bad . I don't thrash cars I'm good o:)

vtecintegra, Nov 5, 12:18am
It's not about how you treat the car so much as how the previous owners (and there will have been a few of them on a 15 year old car) did

lil_miss_moo, Nov 5, 12:21am
Thanks Tamarillo for those cars! I actually really liked both of the beamers you suggested too. I will look into those aswell, do you know if it would be easy to replace the stereo in them? I love listening to my tunes loud and want to make sure I can replace the stereo so I can listen to spotify on my phone!

lil_miss_moo, Nov 5, 12:24am
Fair point raised vtecintegra, what would you be weary of in older cars that i should look out for?

kazbanz, Nov 5, 12:58am
Lil miss moo- My genuine concern regarding altezzas is that they were marketed in NZ as a bit of a boy racer car from day 1.
They were a REALLY nice car. but in all honesty one that is in your price range has likely been thrashed and crashed.
The 6 cylinder version also sold as a lexus doesn't seem to have been so badly treated. Interestingly they have about 60 less ponies than the 4 cylinder version.
Sorry for not offering any suggestions. -as I ssaid it will come down to the individual car

mals69, Nov 5, 12:58am
Just be patient, seen some real low k bargains for 4K - if you want the bargain today or tomorrow it most probably not going to happen.
I'd be saving more pennies and getting a 2000 model or newer - with only needing a WOF once a year.

pattym1, Nov 5, 12:58am
i had a manual 328i BM coupe for about 16 years. great car.

mals69, Nov 5, 12:59am
They fly those ludes - that one looks to have had a hard life.

fatrata, Nov 5, 1:44am
Looking at a new Rexton to tow our caravan. Anyone else using one of these for this purpose. Weight 2500 kg

mals69, Nov 5, 1:49am
Why are the beamers so cheap ?

vtecintegra, Nov 5, 1:56am
They aren't really - old cars with big engines just don't hold their value

saxman99, Nov 5, 2:15am
Yes, there is a bezel available to convert E46 to standard DIN for a decent stereo. Easy install.

mals69, Nov 5, 2:21am
True - hardcase how they end up round same price as a jappa given their new price.
They both look like lot of car for the money - good finds T

vtecintegra, Nov 5, 2:27am
Yeah they're pretty good value so long as you keep on top of things

BTW a lot of Japanese cars that cost a similar amount new are also available at those sort of prices

tamarillo, Nov 5, 2:39am
This, plus folk that only want an appliance to drive to work are scared of them by reports of crazy costs. But if use an Independant garage parts are cheap and plentiful and they're are solidly built machines. I've had many years of great cheap running.

Stereo is easy to adapt as there are so many worldwide so the facia kit to tidy up the hole left when removing the old unit and fit modern din unit, are plentiful.
If it's a good unit you can add aux input or Bluetooth.
Checks out edsauto.co.nz

tamarillo, Nov 5, 2:43am
Think you need a new thread for this, but also search old threads as these have been discussed some weeks ago here.

mals69, Nov 5, 2:43am
Cheers - so they not so forgiving as a jappa if go thousands of km's
over when an oil change due, oil filter air cleaner etc? Whats the difference in design where you have to be so stringent with them - keep on top of things ?

vtecintegra, Nov 5, 2:56am
All three of those are about as far away from 'sporty' as you can get