VT commodore help.

Page 2 / 3
jezz43, Aug 27, 8:35am
most water its lost at one time was about 1.5 litres. however, coolant tank was completely drained and the engine coolant is no longer green, its red and smells burnt

icemans1, Aug 27, 8:36am
green coolant, wtf! ya supposed to be using RED

jezz43, Aug 27, 8:36am
it was green when we bought it. its not anymore

topzone, Aug 27, 8:38am
Hmm more poor advise !

icemans1, Aug 27, 8:39am
where does ya needle on the temp gauge usually sit at! mine sits about 1/3 up which is normal

icemans1, Aug 27, 8:40am
oh really so the owners hand book is wrong!

topzone, Aug 27, 8:41am
If no water loss is visible externaly then it must be oh . internal

jezz43, Aug 27, 8:41am
needle is normal. 1/3rd the way up as it has always done. but, i was thinking it may have an electronic issue anyways as the fuel tank reader can jump up and down by 1/4 of a tank when it feels like it

topzone, Aug 27, 8:41am
No just you

brokebloke1, Aug 27, 8:43am
is your car a auto or manual transmission!
if auto check your trans dipstick to see if you have water in there.
As the transcooler in mounted in radiator and could be cracked.
Therefore leaky water into your trans

topzone, Aug 27, 8:45am
Post # 15 correct

icemans1, Aug 27, 8:46am
so, are you a commodore guru, or have owned a commodore!

jezz43, Aug 27, 8:47am
is auto, i figured if the water was going to the trans it would have packed up by now. same thing happened on my fairmont years back. ate the gearbox bands or something. lost all power and eventually died. at the moment the car runs fine like nothings wrong. im jsut sick of filling it up and dont want to wait till something sh1ts itself bigtime

topzone, Aug 27, 8:47am
Both.

brokebloke1, Aug 27, 8:55am
well I think you have a blown head gasket then, best to do both heads as it will be cheaper that way.
By the way how many Kms has it done, my old VX did 230000kms before i had to do its heads.
cost wise i think it was about $500 to get heads planed and gaskets.
if its the second time its had its heads planed then you may have to get the intake manifold planed too as bolt holes and intake runners may not line up

bubbles244, Aug 27, 8:55am
x1
1 check the carpets for moisture. heater core
2 change the thermostat and radiator cap.
3 thermostatic switch or fan motor not working
4 trans pressure is higher when operating. will force water in after it has stopped.
5 gasket on intake manifold leaking water into the inlets.
6 cracked heads.

jezz43, Aug 27, 8:57am
258000kms, motor never been touched before. is there anywhere i can get new heads other than holden!

icemans1, Aug 27, 8:58am
i stand to be correct - premixed long life coolant is green, but that can be a bit confusing to some peeps

bubbles244, Aug 27, 9:00am
you want new heads or reco'd second hand ones.if you want more bang for the same dollar as new ones go grab a set of second hand ones and spend the difference on some porting and grinding etc, let it breath better.

topzone, Aug 27, 9:24am
Ecotech heads are well developed as standard and wont stand much in the way of porting polishing or dressing,best you consult an experienced motor reconditioning outfit.
Also beware of second hand heads crack test them first if you can to avoid wasting your money.

3962, Aug 27, 9:47am
You do have the heater on & set on hot when you fill radiator back up, don't you!

scotty20001, Aug 27, 1:31pm
check your heater tap, sometimes they leak and can cause this problem.

scotty20001, Aug 27, 1:32pm
funny that i was waiting for the thai honda brigade to come in and brag about how their 3rd world built cars are somehow superior when, really they are not.

mugenb20b, Aug 28, 5:57am
Monday morning, take the car to a garage to perform a pressure test and a TK check on the cooling system. That's all I can suggest if there is no external water loss.

guider1, Aug 28, 6:59am
I'd be checking the thermostat first, then pressure test.
Is it using the water in the overflow! In other words is it emptying the overflow.