VT commodore help.

Page 1 / 3
jezz43, Aug 27, 5:50am
any info as to what may have happened would be appreciated.

heres the scenario:

cruising along like normal, not thrashing the car. temp gauge flys off the chart past the red mark. no warning just instantly went up. pulled over, turned car off. fans were going ballistic. flick key on 2 minutes later and temp is back to normal. now. the car is using alot of water. its not in the sump either. any suggestions or theories!

mugenb20b, Aug 27, 5:52am
No external water leaks!

jezz43, Aug 27, 5:54am
nothing i can see, powersteer pump has started leaking again tho. and thats the 3rd one in 6 months.

timmo1, Aug 27, 5:55am
Scotty will be along soon to tell you that there is nothing wrong with your Commodore and, in fact, it is better than any other car in the world.

mugenb20b, Aug 27, 5:57am
Monday morning, take the car to a garage to perform a pressure test and a TK check on the cooling system. That's all I can suggest if there is no external water loss.

rustihammer, Aug 27, 6:20am
Had a VT do the same thing. turned out to be a faulty thermostat.

guider1, Aug 27, 6:59am
I'd be checking the thermostat first, then pressure test.
Is it using the water in the overflow! In other words is it emptying the overflow.

robbo36, Aug 27, 7:55am
x1
Yes, check/replace the thermostat first. VT's are renown for failure of the inlet manifold valley gaskets, so that could be where your coolant has gone. Ensure you use the OEM radiator cap as aftermarket ones can leak. VT's can also leak around the coolant crossover pipe located below and behind the radiator. The hoses were connected using spring band type clamps. In some cases, these clamps are insufficient, and coolant may leak from this area. Good luck.

jezz43, Aug 27, 8:09am
guider1, yes its using the coolant tank.it was empty after this issue arose, i suspected the thermostat hadnt opened up then once the car overheated it released. il be replacing it tomorrow. but still no leaks. so im buggered if i can find the water. have put in 6 litres now and im buggered if i can see where its gone.

marmatt, Aug 27, 8:14am
head gasket!

topzone, Aug 27, 8:15am
Cracked heads between the valve seats causing cooling air locks at the thermostat after a time bang they open then all cool again. . . sorry for the bad news its very common.

jezz43, Aug 27, 8:17am
thats all very well, but where the hell is the water!

brokebloke1, Aug 27, 8:18am
check to see if the passager footwell carpet feels wet as you may have a leaky heater core, happens offen on the VT-VY commodores have known 4 cars that have done this

topzone, Aug 27, 8:18am
Vaporisied

brokebloke1, Aug 27, 8:18am
its turned to steam and blown out the exhaust pipe

brokebloke1, Aug 27, 8:19am
Have you had the heater on in the past 2-3 weeks!

jezz43, Aug 27, 8:21am
sure have, it works fine. but havent had it going since this issue arose

brokebloke1, Aug 27, 8:28am
id be checking the carpet , by the way if your car starts to overheat turn the heater to fully hot will help to cool temp down a bit

topzone, Aug 27, 8:29am
Take the radiator cap offFIRST get it up to normal operating temp,then rev it and watch the bubbles come up through the radiator.

Crackked heads OH yeah.

jezz43, Aug 27, 8:29am
carpet is fine. hasnt overheated since that one occurance. but still uses a truckload of water

jezz43, Aug 27, 8:31am
did this yesterday. bubbled alot. didnt really stop, but when it got to minimal bubbling and i had filled it i replaced cap.

icemans1, Aug 27, 8:32am
lol, yep, my VT did that once about 2 months ago, hasn't done it since

fordcrzy, Aug 27, 8:33am
head gasket or cracked head after a thermostat fault or total loss of water

topzone, Aug 27, 8:34am
Cool so thats fixed it !

icemans1, Aug 27, 8:34am
my money's on thermostat