Diesel Knock

primemeat, Sep 6, 7:49pm
08 Navara 135,000ks. What can I do to resolve this! Happens when cold and occasionally under load goin up a hill.

goron56, Sep 6, 9:13pm
Take it to the nissan agents FAST!

mechnificent, Sep 7, 12:24am
Get the injectors serviced.
If it's not that then I'd be suspecting mechanical faults.eg. bearings or piston play.

drew2009, Sep 7, 12:34am
If its only minor you could try injector cleaner/additives, moreys have some good products. NZ diesel isnt the greatest, i used to always run upper cylinder lubricant or a little 2 stroke oil in diesel (300mls for a full tank, not to much) and that would reduce knock quite nicely. but the best solution is a proper service and get it checked out.

jsc1, Sep 7, 12:58am
It could the death knock.Could be worn big end shells letting the pistons hit the cylinder head at the top at the stroke.You may get away with getting them changed not sure depends how bad it is because when it goes bang .its time for new engine.

gadgit3, Sep 7, 1:59am
08" common rail diesel then.
Cold a little bit of knock is normal.
If this has only just started happening then you could have an injector running out of range. You need to have a matrix test done to find which injector it is.

next-to-normal, Sep 7, 3:50am
best to put additives in diesel(moreys is good) and motorup in ya oil,does wonders for the motor,

primemeat, Sep 7, 5:23am
Thanks all.Not sure if its just happened as I got it from turners at 134,000 and was already happening. I have been running Moreys and injector cleaner through it. Injector servicing is $450 each so dont want to go their if they dont need it.

mugenb20b, Sep 7, 5:37am
Hulix motors are notorious for injector seat failure (followed by engine failure). Every 45 000kms they need to get done. Injectors are $900 each to replace. Motors cost $8k to rebulid, not including the injectors and pump.

xraps, Sep 7, 6:09am
iirc these engines are sensitive to wrong oil grades and can get quite noisy. I cannot find any info regarding this right now but i would do an oil and filter change asap. I think they need a 5w30 semi or full synthetic but you should confirm this with a dealership first.

primemeat, Sep 7, 6:27am
Had a service at 130,000k. It needs some fancy fandangle oil thats $18 a liter because of its emission control crap. Been an ex lease so has been well serviced.

gadgit3, Sep 7, 6:59am
Like I said above
Diesel knock is normal for jap common rail on first start up in cool temps. And if you start up and drive off down the road straight away you may get the knock for a few kms or until you stop for no less then 20sec as the ECU will only change the compensation of the injectors when at idle. so if you have little to no idle time you may get the knock for long periods of time.
I work for Toyota but the injectors used in the Nissans are Denso (same as Toyota) and the system is very smiler.

gadgit3, Sep 7, 7:04am
Mugen
Price the new denso injectors from Wellington Diesel Services. they are the same injector not a after market just direct from Denso and the price will surprise you. lets just say they are less then the price Primemeat has been quoted to clean them. far less lol

frytime, Sep 7, 7:21am
agreed, the new hilux doesn't seem to stand up to the name compared to older ones. price injectors from diesel and turbo, far cheaper for the same part.

diesel and turbo auckland strips and cleans them as well, don't know the cost. wellington branch woun't clean them tho

primemeat, Sep 7, 7:41am
I got the $450 figure for servicing from looking on here so may be different if I went through a workshop.

gadgit3, Sep 7, 7:45am
Wellington wont clean them cause they can give ya a new injector for less then Auckland charges to clean them.
Wellington is the (only) NZ Denso agent so all denso parts are cheap through them.

bubbles52, Sep 7, 9:45am
Rubbish!ive never come across that before and i sell hilux parts for a living

mantagsi, Sep 7, 10:03am
These new Navaras sound like a bloody nightmare. front diff failure, turbos screeching and lynching themselves at 75,000kms and/or major oil pressure issues. now this. I kind of wonder if the chaps in Japan have lost the plot with modern diesels!

paul271, Sep 8, 4:07am
Be carefull that it isnt the timing chain stretching and causing the timing to be too far out of range, have heard a lot of stories about this. I am going to buy a Navara soon, but will be going for the 4.0 V6 because of all the chain and engine issues these trucks are having.

poppajn, Sep 8, 4:25am
Interesting, we run 3 Navara,s on courier type run, we replace the oldest one each year and out of 6 we,ve had now, only one has this fault. When its cold, it,s bad, takes about 5 minutes to warm up, then the rattle is gone. It,s done around 250,000k now, we have,nt touched it. but none of the others have had the problem, although we,ve done 2 clutch,sand 1 gearbox in various others, overall for the k,s we do, they,ve been good. Over 200.000 a year they do

mugenb20b, Oct 13, 1:11am
That's just your opinion. But, I work at a country garage where most of the vehicles I work on are utes. A lot of them are Hiluxes with common rail diesel engines. They are KNOWN to suffer from injector seat failure (although Toyota "recommend" checking valve clearances every 45k which means injectors need to come out, which means new seats and seals required). Ask your local engine reconditioners if you don't believe me. I've come across two stuffed motors in 6 months, both had less than 200k on them.