What is the true price for diesel

zak1998, Feb 3, 11:58pm
Once you add Road user charges and the the pump price per litre!

mugenb20b, Feb 4, 12:00am
And the cost of licencing, MPG, servicing costs, etc. There's more to the "price of diesel" than paying per litre of fuel at the pump.

intrade, Feb 4, 12:01am
depends on how much fuel the engine consumes, but overall its not worth it to own a diesel unless you are a diesel mechanic or have extensive diesel knowhow on how to prevent diesel problems. You also have to add the cost of a diesel fuel additive to the cost of the fuel and ruc. basically it will cost the same as a petrol if not more for the same car without towing.

zak1998, Feb 4, 12:01am
so does it work out cheaper to a petrol car

mugenb20b, Feb 4, 12:02am
What kind of cars are you comparing!

intrade, Feb 4, 12:04am
for example not servicing a 2006 petrol car with normal fuel injection could cost you up to a grand in repairs we talk just standard negleckt still doing oil changes. If you dont service a 2006 commonrail diesel you will end up with 4 to 8 grand worth of repairs from stuffed injection system to burned holes in piston you can choose for non servicing them

zak1998, Feb 4, 12:08am
suv or mpv

rocky0169, Feb 4, 12:08am
road user,s are sperate charges to deisel. vary frm vehical to vehical and sticker weight. keep in mind. this is what catch's alot of motorist's out is the average joe driving a 4x4 eather doesnt realise or is ignorant to the fact that your RUC stickerweight is your vehical plus your trailer /boat being towed. example .if you have a nissan terrano.( tare weight 2600kg.) normaly you would buy a 3 ton sticker. .or more if you tow a heavy trailer/boat.

http://www.transport.govt.nz/ourwork/TMIF/Pages/TI010.aspx

mugenb20b, Feb 4, 12:22am
MPV type vehicle, get a petrol. SUV will depend on the type of driving you will do, how many k's you do a year, make and model of this SUV, and whether you can do your own servicing. One thing to keep in mind is, like Intrade said, the price of diesel engine parts are hugely expensive compared to petrol, should anything go wrong.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 4, 12:26am
MPV type vehicle, consider a VW Touran. The VW diesels are excellent, super long service intervals and inexpensive servicing when you you do have to.
It pointless talking about things without actually doing the math.
I made this webpage www.dieselvspetrol.webs.com which will help. Just update the current fuel pricing if you want to be super accurate.

Remember a Diesel becomes more financially viable the dearer fuel gets and with whats going on in the world I could see us having periods of $3 - $4 a litre petrol in the next few years.

The other thing to consider is if this vehicle is doing a lot of town running the Diesel usually gets more viable with urban fuel economy.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 4, 12:26am
MPV type vehicle, consider a VW Touran. The VW diesels are excellent, super long service intervals and inexpensive servicing when you you do have to.
It pointless talking about things without actually doing the math.
I made this webpage www.dieselvspetrol.webs.com which will help. Just update the current fuel pricing if you want to be super accurate.

Remember a Diesel becomes more financially viable the dearer fuel gets and with whats going on in the world I could see us having periods of $3 - $4 a litre petrol in the next few years.

The other thing to consider is if this vehicle is doing a lot of town running the Diesel usually gets more viable with urban fuel economy.

Also. I am assuming you are talking a newer type common rail diesel here. If you post your budget and/or age of vehicleyou are looking at we can probably provide more helpful advice. Be very wary of Hyundai diesels, they are often not as economical as they have you believe and the NZ after service if something goes wrong seems appalling.

By far the best Diesels come from the European brands, specifically Fiat, Mercedes, VW, Audi, BMW, Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, in Europe more diesel cars are sold than Petrol cars so those manufacturers put a huge amount of money into developing their engines.

mugenb20b, Feb 4, 12:35am
Yes, but Touran diesel costs nearly $30k second hand. I could get the same year Honda Odyssey for $20k. $10k can buy a lot of fuel, and the 2.4 petrol engine is very cheap to service and maintain in the long run. Plus, the Odyssey is a much bigger and nicer car overall.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 4, 12:41am
LOL, not at all. You can usually pick up a tidy Touran for about $12K, you don't get diesel ones come up every week but a month of patience usually pays off.
The 2.4 Toyota Diesel dosn't even come remotely close to being as economical overall and any difference in servicing would be negligible at best. wouldn't even be surprised if the Touran was actually cheaper to servcie overall. As for fuel efficiency the Toyota dosn't even come close.

The Odyssey might be a little bigger physically but the Touran is better designed so tends to have more usefull space. I am not sure how its "nicer" overall (perhaps in styling!) The touran can have up to 10 airbags and often comes swimming with features.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 4, 12:53am
Just did an add up.
Assuming typical combined running and current fuel prices the Touran would cost you about $2200 a year and a 2.4 Ipsum $3000. That is direct running costs i.e fuel/ruc/vehicle licensing for 15'000km.
I have ignored servicing as that will be much of a muchness. If you are doing mostly short runs in town (as lots of MPV's do) the Touran will be comparitively cheaper again, likewise as the cost of fuel increases.

socram, Feb 4, 3:25am
One of the regulars on here did an excellent comparison a year or two ago.

Work out the extra fixed costs first - rego is more expensive than petrol.
Then work out your annual distance covered, as that will give you your RUC.

Then you need to know the economy for that specific vehicle on petrol and on diesel.I am sure you can work it out yourself!That is what spreadsheets are for.

You can also add in for comparison, servicing and consumables costs and also the potential longevity of the two engines and then the depreciation.
You have asked a simple question - but there is no simple answer.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 4, 3:28am
Yip my online spreadsheet I made above does most of that for you. www.dieselvspetrol.webs.com

You are dead right with what you say socram, check out my page if you havn't already.

r15, Feb 4, 7:23am
im pretty sure intrade is the only person using mystery additives in his diesel, nobody i have ever met does

skin1235, Feb 4, 7:37am
and would you comment re sugar in your coffee vs no sugar in your coffee, if you use it it is a real cost, and some would argue a hidden cost to your health as well, but your original comment is really a cheap shot, intrade uses it because he believes there is a benefit to do so,. and he is not alone in that belief, I may not use it every time I top up but do use a few bottles of morleys injector cleaner per year, and generally if putting in more than half a tank of fuel will give it a full load

bashfulbro, Feb 6, 10:14am
Not correct Rocky, these are not Heavy Motor Vehicles, if the vehicle tares 2600kgs, you would have a 3 tonne sticker anyway,simply, because you can`t buy 2600 kg sticker, it`s either 2 tonne,or 3 tonne.
The trailer is not subject to RUCs unless it`s a HMV, ie over 3.5 tonnes.
However, you would have to be aware that there would be a little extra on the towbar, that is all, and that is subject to the tongue weight allowable on the towbar rating, the trailer is a separate vehicle, and can weigh up to 2.5 tonnes, or,3.5 tonnes if the towing vehicle has an in cab trailer brake controller.
All is subject to the towbar rating on the towing vehicle.

outbidyou2, Feb 6, 10:29am
Catergorically (sp)NO! F**k that been there twice, never again.

morrisman1, Feb 6, 10:46am
Ultimately it will depend on how thirsty the vehicle is. The thirstier, the more cost effective diesel becomes. Once you step above about 8L/100km the diesel gets a better deal from the tax man. Extra costs of diesel are servicing if its an older type, and registration of course.

I wouldn't buy a diesel car anymore unless the extra range is required or the car is mainly used for open road driving (diesel has nicer torque band for that) but if it was a heavier vehicle like an SUV then getting a diesel would be my preference.