Adding 10% LPG to diesel

5425, Feb 4, 7:36pm
Are kits available in NZ for these !.

whynot7, Feb 4, 7:46pm
top gear motors in cambridge .

intrade, Feb 4, 10:46pm
waste of time and money .

5425, Feb 5, 6:14pm
Seems very common elsewhere in the world.

aredwood, Feb 5, 10:01pm
Those countries probably have a fuel tax on diesel instead of RUC.

kingfisher21, Feb 6, 12:04am
Has nothing to do with cost, it's power and a lot less emissions, a typical diesel engine can only burn about 70-80% of the diesel it's given, when you add LPG injection that figure goes up to over 90% and the emissions drop drastically.

fordcrzy, Feb 6, 12:08am
i remember a ford kit thats produced in the states.the cover picture was a f250 dually doing a massive burnout. its like adding NOS to a petrol car.

kingfisher21, Feb 6, 12:13am
That's exactly what it is, NOS for diesels.

daves01, Feb 6, 12:56am
so its just for a power enhancement rather than an economy thing!Just wondering as had never heard of it before .

intrade, Feb 6, 12:56am
no its not it wont give no power what so ever only nos gives real power to a diesel. diesel wants oxigen and tons of it to produce power and that is where nos is good at. LPG only lowers emission with a maximum power gain of 10% . This has been discussed before on here and i have done research i would have added lpg if it would make sense but it dont makes any other then extra cost and potential damaged engines.

intrade, Feb 6, 1:01am
its the same bullox as adding a hydrogen making kit to a petrol engine and dreaming about driving cheaper.

daves01, Feb 6, 1:05am
the old my car runs on water rubbish .

ashwattau, Feb 6, 1:06am
http://www.iwemalpg.com/Diesel_LPG.htm

Those guys are claiming to have developed a diesel-lpg system which has resulted in up to +17% power and +30% mileage to their old mechanically injected Land Rover. Interesting stuff.

intrade, Feb 6, 1:11am
if you do more research you will find the truth even a 17% increase is squat and 30% extra milage when a liter lpg cost 1.40 bux lol i cant see how that would even be remotly a saving it is so minimal what you will get from all the crap you got to add that it simply is not worth it unless we have to pass Exhaust emission tests to get cheaper registration and that is not the case in this country in germany you could get cheaper rego like that.

kingfisher21, Feb 6, 1:14am
I suggest you do a bit more studying up on it intrade.

male_timaru, Feb 6, 1:17am
Lol same here - I know a regular on this board who has done it time and time again (primarily in petrol vehicles to be honest) but had amazing results

intrade, Feb 6, 1:17am
here are the facts of mz research i found a power gain of about 10% will be the result and it onlz works on direct injected turbodiesel. It will damage indirected non turbodiesel with what is called pre/ignition happening and forcing the explosion from the diesel back in to the prechamber or swyrel/forchamber. causing detonation and bearing damage on non turbo/idi/diesel

intrade, Feb 6, 1:20am
you should do some study then you will know that petrol engine are spark ignition and diesel are self/igniton engine.

male_timaru, Feb 6, 1:24am
hahaha - coming from the diesel mechanic that has to ask questions on diesels i find that very amusing

i don't need to research it - he has done the practical and theoretical tests hahahaa

lordv81, Feb 6, 1:37am
I was told by a qualified diesel mechanic that adding lpg will give extra power.He said they use alot on the big rigs in the states when climbing hills etc,just press the button.He reckoned they used it due to yanks being too lazy to change gears.The mechanic has built alot of 4wds and conversions for diesel and petrol 4wds -road going and competition.Not saying his word is gospel but he had no reason to lie.

intrade, Feb 6, 1:44am
no one said it dont works but it only works for some diesel as per above and it makes absolut 0 sense here in nz . Diesel has no tax so 0 gain for that on using another fuel that is not cheap also no reduction in price for lower emissions. no gains just huge extra cost. Plus a bigrig 10% more power is heaps but on a 80hp diesel you will hardly notice 10%

intrade, Feb 6, 1:44am
no one said it dont works but it only works for some diesel as per above and it makes absolut 0 sense here in nz . Diesel has no tax so 0 gain for that on using another fuel that is not cheap also no reduction in price for lower emissions. no gains just huge extra cost. Plus a bigrig 10% more power is heaps but on a 80hp diesel you will hardly notice 10%
there is far cheaper options for diesel to gain power. chiptuning can add 25% hp with no modification to newer turbodisel like tdi volkswagen or commonrail fiat for example plug and play 750 bux and 5 minutes work . swappng to different turbochargers can also give extra power at more cost but its all a one/offcost not ongoing.