1996 Mitsi Lancer with King low springs.

shop-per-holic, Sep 10, 1:13am
Car WOF was failed as it was about 10mm too low because of these springs. Does anyone know if theres any bigger tyres I could get that would bring it up 10mm!or any other cheap ideas that would do the trick!without switching to standard lancer springs.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks heaps.

franc123, Sep 10, 1:45am
depending on what wheels and tyres are on it currently there may be other legality and clearanceissues with upping the tyre size, you aren't supposed to be exceeding the factory rolling circumference by more than 5%.It may however be possible to go up 1 profile, ie from a 40 to a 45 and still be within limits if such a tyre is available.Tyre shops have charts with this sort of information on it so you can quickly find what larger tyre sizes are compatible for your rims, or google tyre compatiblity charts and see what comes up.

crzyhrse, Sep 10, 1:46am
90mm on-road clearance to vehicle structure, suspension, braking and steering components is ridiculous.

Put some decent springs in it to correct the ride height.

crzyhrse, Sep 10, 1:56am
They require LVV certification because the springs will no longer be in the OEM seats. But nice try.

crzyhrse, Sep 10, 2:00am
You may get back to the 100mm simply by going in with an empty tank and no spare wheel and over-inflated tyres. although that won't make a lot of difference to the front. If that fails put an inflated helium bladder inside the engine bay!

phillip.weston, Sep 10, 2:26am
I would be inclined to go to another WOF place. Many cars are close to 100mm from factory and I found having a car 70-80mm from the ground in some places was fine, it was only the exhaust which was 40-50mm to the ground which scraped occasionally.

phillip.weston, Sep 10, 2:27am
be thankful you aren't in Australia where your car needs to be ABOVE 100mm (including exhaust). when it's FULLY laden - ie adults in all available seats AND their luggage too.

bopbargains, Sep 10, 4:08am
thatwouldbe toosensible

berg, Sep 10, 4:31am
Checked a Lancer GSR on Thursday and it was on "Kings". About 80mm to the gearbox and 90 to the chassis rails. Also the usual cracks in the rear subframe caused by insufficient suspension movement.
King springs seem to sag badly within a short time in my experience. Take it back to original and enjoy a better, safer ride.

divermark, Sep 10, 9:46am
Kings super lows had saged badly on the front of my wrx, dobie sport replacements handle much better !

crzyhrse, Sep 11, 12:37am
Now you point it out, I see the flaw in my approach.

_peas, Sep 11, 1:42am
Cousins GSR had this problem too.Ended up getting some Teins.Kings seem to always be at the source of the problems.They do a Super Low which according to their own catalog states that they are not intended for road use.You can't help some people.

franc123, Sep 11, 1:45am
depending on what wheels and tyres are on it currently there may be other legality and clearanceissues with upping the tyre size, you aren't supposed to be exceeding the factory rolling circumference by more than 5%.It may however be possible to go up 1 profile, ie from a 40 to a 45 and still be within limits if such a tyre is available.Tyre shops have charts with this sort of information on it so you can quickly find what larger tyre sizes are compatible for your rims, or google tyre compatiblity charts and see what comes up.

r15, Sep 11, 2:23am
Put 50 psi in the tyres and try again. Don't forget to let. Them down again though

phillip.weston, Sep 11, 2:27am
be thankful you aren't in Australia where your car needs to be ABOVE 100mm (including exhaust). when it's FULLY laden - ie adults in all available seats AND their luggage too.

mitchell_nz2005, Sep 11, 3:52am
I have superlow in my evo ive got at the moment its the older shape got green stickered about 1 month ago it was only 90mm at the front

crzyhrse, Sep 11, 5:46am
I honestly struggle to understand why people are so obsessed with lowering cars. It's so impractical and they're not fooling anyone regarding performance. I've stiffened shocks and springs up for towing and replaced springs for sag but that's practical considerations. I really don't think cars look better lowered - to me every time I see a lowered car it screams "The driver of this vehicle is so uninteresting, he needs to mess it up to get attention and any attention from anyone will do". Fart cannons are in the same realm.

absolutelyfunky, Sep 12, 1:05am
In most cases it is stupid, but there are reasons for performance. Lower center of gravity equals better handling etc.

phillip.weston, Sep 12, 1:18am
I'm happy to admit I like lowering a car purely for the aesthetic reasons, with added performance benefits in many cases too. But I'm also happy to accept that each person is to their own. One of my cars is stock standard with factory suspension and for that particular car it just seems best because I don't have to slow down (much) for speed bumps or watch out for kerbs - but when taking it on track it's a horrible mess of lurching around corners and terrible body-roll.

The other car is lowered with the above-mentioned 80mm ground clearance (which the body never makes contact with the road) and it just looks much better than factory height and massive guard gaps.

I think the wheel fitment makes or breaks a severely lowered car. I think cars slammed to the weeds with horrible inwards sitting positive offset narrow but large diameter rims look disgusting, while cars with a great width and perfect offset fitment (even if the rims are smaller in diameter) look ace.

Just my rambling 2 cents.

shop-per-holic, Sep 14, 3:01am
Have decided to switch back to standard springs, but am now wondering can I just swap the springs! or do I have to change the shocks as well!

shop-per-holic, Sep 16, 5:59am
Thanks! worked a treat :)

mugenb20b, Sep 16, 6:03am
*Facepalm* You just don't get, do you! Just because you got a new wof by cheating, doesn't mean your car is legal (warrantable). Should you have an accident, you'll have no insurance.

franc123, Sep 16, 6:41am
Absolutely, it's particularly sickening when you see it done to such fine handling vehicles like BMW 7's, Benz E and S class etc, they are developed by the finest chassis engineers money can buy with huge R&D budgets and are set up to give the ultimate balance between ride and high speed handling and enable the driver to cover long distances at high speed in maximum comfort and safety, then dumb kiwi comes along and thinks that its no good because its too high off the ground and can improve it with crap aftermarket parts which stuff up the geometry completely, including stupidly large chrome wheels which increase the unsprung weight.You don't know whether to laugh or cry.

oldrage, Nov 3, 9:07pm
Lol, I dont think this is serious.