Subaru 2litre are they any good

jojostuff, Sep 18, 6:13am
i have a 2.5 litre pronr to air locks in the cooling system are the 2 litre any better !

jojostuff, Sep 18, 6:13am
the year is 2004 2l

andrea_w, Sep 18, 6:28am
EJ25 !
By 'air lock' you may actually mean 'blown head gasket' !
Almost a factory fault in them.

I've read a lot of people recommending Subaru after 2002 or 2004 - I can't remember which year or specifically why sorry. If no one replies, try a search. there should be a heap of info buried in these message boards

mugenb20b, Sep 18, 6:30am
2l Subaru motors are good if well looked after. 2.5 motors are prone to blowing head gaskets, but I'm not sure if that's because of a design fault somewhere or lack of maintenance. Air locks can happen only if the cooling system wasn't bled properly.

lugee, Sep 18, 6:34am
Or an improperly designed cooling system; radiator and reservior below the water jackets in the head. Notable example was the RB30E(T) equipped VL Commodores.

jsbike, Sep 18, 8:35am
Wrong. There is a bleed screw to bleed out air on the rb30et, therefore nothing wrong with the system as a whole.

lugee, Sep 18, 10:13am
Then explain why it was acknowledged as a fault. If the radiator cap valve is located below the highest point, then gases that are released from the coolant will collect in the head, and not be expelled through the cap. Simple physics bro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_RB_engine#RB30

uhmm, Sep 19, 4:16am
subaru stroked the 2.0 block to create the 2.5 it failed. in 1998 they built a new block for the 2.5 with much better results.

hijacka, Nov 9, 8:16am
No they didn't that's just crazy talk. they have never used a ej20 block to make a ej25. the problem with the earlier ej25 are oem headgasket failure.
They start to get better in 97 when the went to shim over bucket heads, the ej25 block has a bigger bore(extra 7.5mm) and extra 4mm crank stroke) they are not the same