Galant Idle problem

eajo1mbwass, Oct 30, 12:11am
Ok, I'm at the end of my tether with this. One last shot to see if you guys can help me at all.
I have a 92 v6 galant (manual). Had problems with flat battery, replace battery. Ever since it has had idle problems. It fluctuates widely anywhere from 100-2500 rpm. Have a spare motor sitting in garage for it, so replaced a couple of sensors, the IACV (I think!) Got a new ECU. Its running a little better, but still hunts at idle.

Any other ideas! I so miss my old mechanic in christchurch. Haven't found a decent one here yet!

crzyhrse, Oct 30, 12:27am
How long ago was the battery changed and how much has it been driven since! Did you drive it immediately and let it reach temperature and vary the loads like A/C and headlamps!

I've heard of them taking a week of varied driving to completely relearn properly. The 'coon takes a couple of days max.

I would suggest disconnecting the battery again for an hour and starting over.

If all else fails go to Neil Stuart Automotive.

eajo1mbwass, Oct 30, 12:30am
Yeah its been a couple weeks since battery changed.

I'm in rotovegas now sorry, moved here a few months back, have any advice of who to see here at all!

berg, Oct 30, 12:30am
Remove the inlet trunking from the inlet manifold and clean the throttle
butterfly and throttlebody housing with a rag soaked in petrol. They reset the idle back to a standard setting after a flat battery and standard settings don't take into account the buildup of carbon/oil in the throttlebody

crzyhrse, Oct 30, 12:43am
They reset back to base specification but they will still relearn.

We really need a chronology of events here. Idle hunting suggests a vacuum leak - what knowledge do you have of the ISCV you replaced!

eajo1mbwass, Oct 30, 1:01am
Have taken battery off for quite a long time, and driven around town for a while, and done the power draw thing (turn lights, ac etc on) That does help, but it doesn't last. A couple of times of re starting the car on subsequent trips and it starts surging again.
I replaced the ISCV on the advice of someone who had previously had a similar problem. I understand what it does, and was pretty basic in/out to replace.

ETA in respect to vacuum leakage. Nothing I can hear. Tis a bit of a noisy engine (has a bit of lifter noise mostly only when cold) so can't 100 % be sure there isn't, only that its not overly obvious.

brokebloke1, Oct 30, 1:34am
do what poster #4 said clean the throttle body i use to do this every 5000kms on my old Galant and it ran like a dream

eajo1mbwass, Oct 30, 2:03am
Thanks.
Have done that. Think I might just stick a pin the phone book and take it to someone. I'm out of ideas !

supernova2, Oct 31, 10:27am
Try Ralphs Autoshop.

supernova2, Oct 31, 10:30am
Or Automotive-Mobile -Ian Savage

74nova, Oct 31, 6:07pm
Ive had a few 89-92 vintage 4 cylinder Galants and they done the same thing if the battery was disconnected. And to get the idling back to normal is to let the engine sit idling for 20 to 30 mins with out touching the accelerator, This gives time for the computer to sort it self out.

n3d4sp3d, Jan 20, 9:57pm
I work at Mitsi inrotorua the way we reset them after flat battery or battery disconnected is clean the throttle body with brakeclean and a rag get the engine warm then disconnect the battery for 60 sec, reconnect the battery and start engine allow to idle with nothing on (lights, radio, A/C ETC) for 5 to 10 min. also is this the model that has a step motor to control the idle or did u replace the hole throttle body