Toyota MRS Tiptronic

blater, Nov 20, 7:25am
Can you simply drive them like an automatic as in put it in drive, or do you have to change up and down all the time! Tried to Google but couldn't get a decent answer.

a.woodrow, Nov 20, 7:26am
Leave it in drive and away you go

blater, Nov 20, 7:28am
Great, thanks. :-)

fordcrzy, Nov 20, 7:29am
the toyota tiptronics are a bit of a have.even in tiptronic mode the computor takes over and does what it wants anyway.if you want to leave it ina gear the computor will kick down anyway.very annoying.

blater, Nov 20, 7:42am
A friend has an Audi tiptronic and drives hers simply like an auto, but her husband "insists" on driving it with the paddles as though he's at Monte Carlo.LOL. Couldn't find if Toyota did the same. My left arm is a bit buggered (sigh, hence my bike for sale and soon my MG as it's a manual) so I need something auto or auto'ish. Like the look of the MRS.

tigra, Nov 20, 8:10am
I drive my Alfa 156tiptronic (Selespeed) using the stick shift.Got nice little push buttons on the steering wheel but I cant get used to them

timmo1, Nov 20, 8:31am
Im not 100% sure that's the case with the MRS though! I think those ones will hold onto the gear regardless.havnt driven one but seem to remember a review stating that

kaye, Nov 20, 9:58am
No they are never a auto . you need to change gear. but saying that if you are in top gear and stop for giveway or lights it will go into first but that is the only time it will change. Excellent car and so much fun to drive, put me at the bottom of any hill and I would stay with any motorbike, Light and will turn on a dime, engine braking great. Wouldnt part with mine.

vtecintegra, Nov 20, 9:48pm
Yeah they're not a tiptronic box at all its a five or six speed clutchless manual (like the Alfa Selespeed)

They should have paddle shifters though if thats close enough

blater, Nov 21, 7:25am
Thanks for the responses. Talked to a Toyota dealer today who drove one and said you left the gear lever on the left and it behaved exactly like a standard automatic, or you shifted it to the right side and shifted up and down with either the lever or the paddle shifts on the steering wheel.

Puzzled by posts 8 and 9.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 7:44am
Never trust a Toyota dealer.
Its my understanding there is no automatic mode as well.
Incidentally its the exact same transmission as the regular 5 speed manual car. It just has actuators fitted for the clutch and shift movement.
Its not as sophisticated as Alfa's selespeed (hence no auto mode) but it is built along much the same lines.

kaye, Nov 21, 8:14am
Hi Team, Toyota dealer drove one .Yeah right .not very well Id say, and dont buy the one he drove as he would of trashed it. Toyota MR2 Spyder(nz new) MRS is a clutchless manual you either change gear with the shifter or off the steering wheel. Maybe we are talking about two different cars !.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 8:18am
I think the Toyota dealer drove one but didn't put it into auto. He has probably driven selespeed and/or DSG and just assumed it has an auto mode like they do. BUT I am not a Toyota expert so perhaps there is another flavour out there with an auto mode. its really only a matter of adding some more sensors and writing the software to add it so perhaps they did!

gadgit3, Nov 21, 8:29am
3 options for MRS depending on country of origin. NZ had manual and clutch less manual options and you can get a import auto/ tiptronic option.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 8:37am
That solves it! Good work.

blater, Nov 21, 8:49am
WTF! Did a Toyota dealer screw you over at some stage!

thejazzpianoma, Nov 22, 7:44am
Never trust a Toyota dealer.
Its my understanding there is no automatic mode as well.
Incidentally its the exact same transmission as the regular 5 speed manual car. It just has actuators fitted for the clutch and shift movement.
Its not as sophisticated as Alfa's selespeed (hence no auto mode) but it is built along much the same lines. (I have a really funny feeling the original Selespeed was derived from a Fiat Tipo manual transmission for some reason)

kaye, Nov 22, 8:12am
Not at all. But like I have said the MR2 or MRS is not made as a auto and is not a option. They first came out in 1999 and where made up till 2004 but there have been some that didnt get first rego till 2005. Spyder chat would be a good site for you to check out.

blater, Nov 22, 10:43am
Thanks kaye, I've had it well and truely confirmed as I believe you stated earlier that it doesn't drive as an auto. Strange how you Google stuff and get so many conflicting responses.

I was puzzled by your comment about the dealer I'd spoken to, as you could have had no idea of who that was. Never mind. :-)

Shame though as at the moment I'm only able to drive with my right arm and don't feel confident about having to change up with a paddle while steering with one hand. I'm probably going to get an MX5 now.

Cheers all.

kaye, Nov 22, 8:46pm
Loldont do it (mx5) there are no paddles. just buttons you pushon both sides of the steering wheelfront button to change down back button to change up. Please just go find one and try driving, you will love it really. Good luck.

smac, Mar 31, 1:58pm
I have driven an MRS and it definitely had a full auto mode, so as above, the answer is: it depends on the car/spec.